Oh god, not this again - Red iso 8!

Comments

• The points system just seems very odd. Looks like there's no point jumping to first place so soon, when all you'll get are repeatables worth minimal points.
  • Mission changed, so it officially. Changes every day. So 5 chances at a purple spidey then I guess. The rng wants me to have red capt it seems. Maxed and threw out 4 since the event started...

So there is no point in NOT doing them right now as far as I understand? I counted and it would push me about 300 pts below 1st to do all the quests. So I don't think the rubberbanding is so much that the algorithm is trying to get you there in just the first runthrough of the round. I guess it requires less grinding maybe if I don't, but the scoring still doesn't make perfect sense

I have no clue what to do. None of us understands how it works. I love these events, but hate to jump in and do the missions, then have to work overtime to keep up later on, so I guess I'll wait a bit.
  • Some noteworthy info imo...the leader gained about 60 points from where he was before. Most, but seemingly not all, my quests gained one point. If there are 8 quests at 1pt for every 50-60 points different then you are going to be losing ground regardless of the rubberbanding.

I guess in a way that's good, as it means you can earn SOME form of cushion. The real question is understanding the top 5 players and how thuer point earning works. Grinding 20 missions for 1 point isn't worth it if #2 can still get 5-6 points for that mission and catch you in 4 rounds. Regardless, I feel.the ending will be similar to the venom event where the top few ppl are a mix of swapping off and "staying low" to get the last second win.

They really should give a better understanding of thier event formats.

Oh, and happy thanksgiving to us Americans and happy Thursday before December for everybody else.
  • Hate to disseminate this information since it'll likely give me a harder time in the tourney but here's how I think it works:

Rubberbanding has a cap of some number of points per mission. For example, in the first set of missions the venom/yelena and bullseye were both capped at 105 but other missions were capped at 30 or some other number.

Repeatables have a certain number of stacks until depleted. When depleted, they are still do-able but are now worth 0 points. It takes ~x hours (2?) for the stacks to replenish again and be worth points. This is similar to the juggernaut heroic where missions had stacks but in this tournament, the stacks regenerate over time. This means it is in your best interest, regardless of your position, to play throughout the day and maximize these stacks.

When fully regenerated, the repeatables will give out points based on your position a la rubberbanding. However, the point value will still go down to 0 after a number of completions regardless of your position.

If you are in first place, you cannot power grind for 2 hours to make a huge lead. You will need to play throughout the day when the stacks are replenished. Likewise, if you are super far behind you won't get top 10 just go completing everything. You will need to go through the same process but given a little help due to increased point cap from rubberbanding.

Of course, I could be wrong but this is what I gathered from playing through. Unfortunately for me, I doubt I'll get top 3 because I'm spending time with in-laws and it seems pretty hard to catch up to the top this time if there's a significant gap.
  • mytisbrewin
    mytisbrewin Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    I am starting to get used to being in a competition in which the rules are unknown.
  • Hate to disseminate this information since it'll likely give me a harder time in the tourney but here's how I think it works:

Rubberbanding has a cap of some number of points per mission. For example, in the first set of missions the venom/yelena and bullseye were both capped at 105 but other missions were capped at 30 or some other number.

Repeatables have a certain number of stacks until depleted. When depleted, they are still do-able but are now worth 0 points. It takes ~x hours (2?) for the stacks to replenish again and be worth points. This is similar to the juggernaut heroic where missions had stacks but in this tournament, the stacks regenerate over time. This means it is in your best interest, regardless of your position, to play throughout the day and maximize these stacks.

When fully regenerated, the repeatables will give out points based on your position a la rubberbanding. However, the point value will still go down to 0 after a number of completions regardless of your position.

If you are in first place, you cannot power grind for 2 hours to make a huge lead. You will need to play throughout the day when the stacks are replenished. Likewise, if you are super far behind you won't get top 10 just go completing everything. You will need to go through the same process but given a little help due to increased point cap from rubberbanding.

Of course, I could be wrong but this is what I gathered from playing through. Unfortunately for me, I doubt I'll get top 3 because I'm spending time with in-laws and it seems pretty hard to catch up to the top this time if there's a significant gap.

This is what I grew to understand as well. Which is why I think there is no reason to not start right away as the rubberbanding will never make up for the lost time unless you weren't going to grind in that time anyway. I too am busy and so I'm really only hoping for top 50 through some Monday crunch time push.

Side note: spidey purple number 2 today and another heroic token. Prob jynxing it, but the rng seems to like me this event.
  • The cap seems pretty low. You can wait, but it's pointless to wait past a certain time. Day 1, that time for my bracket was less than an hour or two from when I joined.
  • Come to think of it...I don't think the points just drop based on your score. I think the available points may drop either in a cyclical pattern where at hour of the day X they have max points for that value of the algorithm and that value X decreases by some percentage over the coarse of an hour or two and then resets to full. Or, in that time period once to attack once it starts a running clock and slowly diminishes the value of the missions over time.

Either way, the point is your mission points can DROP in value even when you are not competing. That would explain the slowly dropping mission point values even when the first rank is staying put and you aren't attacking. Theory, but seems plausible.
  • Got a heroic token...and a yellow wolverine x-force.

Not sure if i should be happy or bummed i didn't get a purple spidey
  • Then please explain to me how I was #1 last night at 1082 pts and woke up this morning at#52 with a 292 point gap between me and #1 and the most I would get from repeatable was 4 points. Right now I am #14 at 1226 and #1 is at 1467. I currently get 4 points from maggia and 6 points from daken. How am I supposed to catch up? How can someone be 200+ points in the lead?
  • Darkwun wrote:
    Then please explain to me how I was #1 last night at 1082 pts and woke up this morning at#52 with a 292 point gap between me and #1 and the most I would get from repeatable was 4 points. Right now I am #14 at 1226 and #1 is at 1467. I currently get 4 points from maggia and 6 points from daken. How am I supposed to catch up? How can someone be 200+ points in the lead?

I knew this would happen.. The old event was 25 pts.. Im 150 pts behind also. We go to sleep and miss out.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    Got a heroic token...and a yellow wolverine x-force.

Not sure if i should be happy or bummed i didn't get a purple spidey

Be happy, I keep getting the 50 HP.
  • Mommson wrote:
    Another thing about the event: Who else gets a lot of health packs? ^^ I'm at 27 at the moment
    I too have a giant pile of health packs.
  • I just got another 6 health packs from FB friends. And I was already in the 20s.
  • When i first started to play this game this tournament was on. Of course i couldn't understand a sh. and i couldn't get to pass many stages and now maybe three weeks later it was actually very easy to get them, but i'm just #73.
  • Darkwun wrote:
    Then please explain to me how I was #1 last night at 1082 pts and woke up this morning at#52 with a 292 point gap between me and #1 and the most I would get from repeatable was 4 points. Right now I am #14 at 1226 and #1 is at 1467. I currently get 4 points from maggia and 6 points from daken. How am I supposed to catch up? How can someone be 200+ points in the lead?

I posted some detailed observations I recorded from playing this evening in a separate thread in General Discussion.
  • Updated OP regarding point system.
  • On a slightly different topic, the reward tiers are messed up. Rank 16-50 gets the green cover, Force Field Crush. which requires the blue cover power to have any effect. Rank 4-15 gets the blue cover.

The blue and green covers should be switched so that all the 1-50 winners get something useful.
  • fatcatfan wrote:
    On a slightly different topic, the reward tiers are messed up. Rank 16-50 gets the green cover, Force Field Crush. which requires the blue cover power to have any effect. Rank 4-15 gets the blue cover.

The blue and green covers should be switched so that all the 1-50 winners get something useful.

If you read Force Field Crush description carefully, you will see it creates Force Bubbles if there are none on board.
  • Shikao wrote:
    If you read Force Field Crush description carefully, you will see it creates Force Bubbles if there are none on board.
    I'm not sure how to interpret this. Does it create bubbles then destroy the surrounding tiles? Or only create the Force Bubbles and nothing else?