13»

Comments

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,131 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 16 March 2024, 09:10
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@trenchdigger said:
    Hmmm.... Based on that line of reasoning, don't bother getting an education or seeking to better yourself, just get a dead end job and buy a lottery ticket.

If someone does that and they end up in the same place as someone who, like, planned and generally tried...can you really say they did it the wrong way?

It's about the journey, not the destination. But the principle of "make the journey what you want it to be" still remains.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah - I mean you can win a race by taking an alternative route but if it was straight through the walls of an orphanage maybe having a better plan might have been good.

Of course I also tend to play this game with any number of orphans being scraped off the window washer and haven't had a plan since I pressed the install game button so I am not espousing any particular route, apart from of course the one with least child casualties.

This post got away from me a bit what with all the orphan death...play how you want safely away from any high density children areas!

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    edited 16 March 2024, 12:09
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Also, it's hilarious that I've purposely done the least optimal thing forever -- I 550d Banner before his buff! -- and I can compete with the folks who've spent all their time theorizing and strategizing and optimizing and spreadsheeting.

It's like if someone spent all their time meticulously optimizing their stock portfolio, carefully arranging and balancing everything, staying on top of the news at all times...while I blindly "invested" in collectible spoons, and we both ended up retiring with the same amount of money.

All of your planning was meaningless! Life is random and unfair!

Love the posts, but this isn’t the games economic structure. Rather, this example points to the fact that this game gives you the illusion of control when in fact the developers control the value. They only need to “rebalance” a character to alter the value and ultimately change the market.

Stocks, spoons, or whatever else is only as valuable as what a buyer is willing to pay. Laws of supply and demand are in effect. So if you’re the one with the collectible spoons when I come out to buy them, and they’ve been changed from silver to a few packs of Great Value plastic cutlery, well…

The opposite can be true as in The Hulk going from zero to Nice overnight.

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:
    Yeah - I mean you can win a race by taking an alternative route but if it was straight through the walls of an orphanage maybe having a better plan might have been good.

Of course I also tend to play this game with any number of orphans being scraped off the window washer and haven't had a plan since I pressed the install game button so I am not espousing any particular route, apart from of course the one with least child casualties.

This post got away from me a bit what with all the orphan death...play how you want safely away from any high density children areas!

@DAZ0273 said:

At least go through the walls of a bank instead. Those daily deals are expensive

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 16 March 2024, 21:52
    Options

@Glockoma said:

@entrailbucket said:
    Also, it's hilarious that I've purposely done the least optimal thing forever -- I 550d Banner before his buff! -- and I can compete with the folks who've spent all their time theorizing and strategizing and optimizing and spreadsheeting.

It's like if someone spent all their time meticulously optimizing their stock portfolio, carefully arranging and balancing everything, staying on top of the news at all times...while I blindly "invested" in collectible spoons, and we both ended up retiring with the same amount of money.

All of your planning was meaningless! Life is random and unfair!

Love the posts, but this isn’t the games economic structure. Rather, this example points to the fact that this game gives you the illusion of control when in fact the developers control the value. They only need to “rebalance” a character to alter the value and ultimately change the market.

Stocks, spoons, or whatever else is only as valuable as what a buyer is willing to pay. Laws of supply and demand are in effect. So if you’re the one with the collectible spoons when I come out to buy them, and they’ve been changed from silver to a few packs of Great Value plastic cutlery, well…

The opposite can be true as in The Hulk going from zero to Nice overnight.

That's exactly what I was after. In an environment that's ultimately out of our control (like the stock market, or the MPQ metagame), meticulous planning only gets one so far. We don't control who's good, the developers do, and they can (and often do) change whatever they want, whenever they want.

Ascension has injected a massive amount of chaos and upended value across the board, and it's unclear how it'll shake out long-term.