Rebalance Notes: Captain Marvel (Galactic Warrior) 5*

Options
13»

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Would out-of-battle healing speed, like significant (possibly instant) out of battle healing be something people would accept? I don't think any other character has an explicit "out of battle" passive, but that could potentially be something interesting to play with when it comes to healing factors. Like maybe they aren't full healed, but they bounce back from 0 hit points to 1 between fights or something perhaps.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Would out-of-battle healing speed, like significant (possibly instant) out of battle healing be something people would accept? I don't think any other character has an explicit "out of battle" passive, but that could potentially be something interesting to play with when it comes to healing factors. Like maybe they aren't full healed, but they bounce back from 0 hit points to 1 between fights or something perhaps.

This sort of thing would be a big philosophy change for them, but it might be a direction they go now.

When MPQ was created, all these freemium games had some sort of stamina system that limited the amount of time you could play unless you paid. The MPQ devs pretty specifically designed it so people would just stop playing when they ran out of packs, though. They've said a bunch of times that they don't make very much from packs -- lots of players seem to assume that others are buying them, but the actual numbers are very low and have always been.

I don't know if stamina systems are still a thing in these kinds of games, or what purpose it's currently serving here. It may be a way to prevent you from burning yourself out, or a way to distract from the fact that MPQ is kinda the same stuff over and over again.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

This sort of thing would be a big philosophy change for them, but it might be a direction they go now.

When MPQ was created, all these freemium games had some sort of stamina system that limited the amount of time you could play unless you paid. The MPQ devs pretty specifically designed it so people would just stop playing when they ran out of packs, though. They've said a bunch of times that they don't make very much from packs -- lots of players seem to assume that others are buying them, but the actual numbers are very low and have always been.

I don't know if stamina systems are still a thing in these kinds of games, or what purpose it's currently serving here. It may be a way to prevent you from burning yourself out, or a way to distract from the fact that MPQ is kinda the same stuff over and over again.

Despite claims that health packs aren’t a moneymaker for them, there are regular offers to buy health packs for a small amount of cash. Also health pack limits provide an incentive to hoard taco tokens, creating a goal for players to work towards and a system to “beat” when they can then choose to pull for more.

Health packs are a limiter and in some ways create a barrier to success for newer rosters which they can work to overcome. That is, can you do all your clears at the highest access level without using up your health packs?

I don’t see them backtracking much on this although we are seeing more healing with newer characters than before.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@bluewolf said:

@entrailbucket said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Despite claims that health packs aren’t a moneymaker for them, there are regular offers to buy health packs for a small amount of cash. Also health pack limits provide an incentive to hoard taco tokens, creating a goal for players to work towards and a system to “beat” when they can then choose to pull for more.

Health packs are a limiter and in some ways create a barrier to success for newer rosters which they can work to overcome. That is, can you do all your clears at the highest access level without using up your health packs?

I don’t see them backtracking much on this although we are seeing more healing with newer characters than before.

I've never seen health Packs offered for cash - are you sure about that?

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

@bluewolf said:

@entrailbucket said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

I've never seen health Packs offered for cash - are you sure about that?

I remember them offering like 20 health packs for 10 dollars or something like that several months ago, and I think there have been others. I wouldn't exactly call a health pack offer every several months "regular offers"

• TheXMan
    TheXMan Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options

I see an offer right now for $3. It does include some iso with 30 health packs

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Huh.
    I guess these are targeted according to some metric.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    Huh.
    I guess these are targeted according to some metric.

Although not a great one as I also got that offer despite having millions of ISO and hundreds of health packs.

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 211 Tile Toppler
    Options

I really like the idea of characters having resistance to certain abilities or types of damage. Also like the idea of added healing between matches. They have that if you are a VIP member, so they can definitely code it in.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Jinx said:
    I really like the idea of characters having resistance to certain abilities or types of damage. Also like the idea of added healing between matches. They have that if you are a VIP member, so they can definitely code it in.

The healing rates are already different by character outside of matches. Healing types (Wolverine, Daken, Deadpool, etc.) heal around twice as fast as "normal" humans. Harder to notice in the 5* era since everyone has different health anyway, but if you down 3* Squirrel Girl, Spider-Man, and Punisher, you can see that Spider-Man heals twice as fast as Squirrel Girl and Punisher.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I know they’re currently all over the place, but I was curious if that was a variable they could play with on purpose in the future.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I know they’re currently all over the place, but I was curious if that was a variable they could play with on purpose in the future.

I like the idea but the problem will be that in practice you'd never want to trade off the power cost/damage/utility that such a thing would require unless it was considered a freebie. We know there are pretty strict metrics they base powers on (only broken when they do entirely new things, see Chasm) so whoever got this extra regen is likely to be highly underpowered otherwise if that was factored into the various equations.

I think it would be cool. I also don't think anything like pre-nerf Wolvy is an issue nowadays, if you're concerned about health packs you're probably overreaching and will hopefully figure that out on your own.