Rebalance Notes: Captain Marvel (Galactic Warrior) 5*

Options

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Bong could also fortify all her CDs.
    However if a 5* needs help from an ascended 4*, there are high chances that they get replaced by another ascended 4*, who will be way more dangerous and damaging than the poor 5* wannabe.
    And this applies to her. 8 red AP for having 400 strike stiles could be easily bested by an ascended 4* or 3*.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Tiger_Wong said:
    Well the exciting thing about 4s becoming ascendable is that her best partner should be on her level eventually.

4* Human Torch (Jim Hammond) fortifies repeaters on activation and creates a beefy strike at the same time.

Actually now that I think about it, when Jim ascends, a few other mediocre repeater makers in 5* land will receive a much needed boost in playability like Ronan and 5* Gamora.

I like your thinking.

Yeah, she doesn't do anything particularly unique beyond the yellow AP deal, and slow green AP generation.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@PiMacleod said:

@Tiger_Wong said:
    Well the exciting thing about 4s becoming ascendable is that her best partner should be on her level eventually.

4* Human Torch (Jim Hammond) fortifies repeaters on activation and creates a beefy strike at the same time.

Actually now that I think about it, when Jim ascends, a few other mediocre repeater makers in 5* land will receive a much needed boost in playability like Ronan and 5* Gamora.

I like your thinking.

Yeah, she doesn't do anything particularly unique beyond the yellow AP deal, and slow green AP generation.

I'd like to second this. @Tiger_Wong has been cranking out some really incredible, insightful Ascension content over the past few weeks.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,637 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Sadly Carol's rebalance numbers seem to be matching her new movie in terms of making people want to care about her.

I'm not sure I ever really understood the yellow power anyway - yeah she is a pilot but she isn't a flying doctor. Maybe we should get her driving an ambulance instead!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023
    Options

I like 3* Colossus' yellow better, where the thrown character fires a power when they land.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:
    I'm not sure I ever really understood the yellow power anyway - yeah she is a pilot but she isn't a flying doctor. Maybe we should get her driving an ambulance instead!

Or pushing a hot dog cart given the MPQ view of their healing powers.

I'm with you - she's not a healer, she doesn't make others fly, and she doesn't send them away.

You could maybe make a case for her tanking damage, I suppose, but something along the lines of energy absorption would make more sense.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:
    Sadly Carol's rebalance numbers seem to be matching her new movie in terms of making people want to care about her.

Yeah, her yellow never really made much sense. Why is carol going and getting into a fighter jet to fly her ally away when she has the superpower of flight and could just do that without the hassle of using a jet. I guess they really wanted to incorporate her air force background into her powers, but maybe then have the power be that she calls in her airforce buddies, and they fly her ally away while carol stays in the fight.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

For me, it was a question of why focus the other two powers towards a yellow generation engine to feed…that? It was like a 4* power.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Just noticed this change when I went to use her teamup to get 4* Vulture started and he went Away instead. I know it was a niche use of that power, but it still just made my most commonly used teamup worthless. That's a significant nerf to one of my best pick 2 teams for nasty 5e nodes (iHulk/Vulture). At best, it's a side-grade, just switching which opponents the power is bad against.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

Currently, nobody benefits from “away.” Maybe it was just a thematic representation of how Captain Marvel is “away” for most of the big events in the McU for some reason?

• DAZ0273
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Currently, nobody benefits from “away.” Maybe it was just a thematic representation of how Captain Marvel is “away” for most of the big events in the McU for some reason?

She sort of once said Wanda had fat thighs in Avengers so I think that might be why. "Oh there is a mission on the other side of the universe where somebody needs to try out a new flavour of popcorn? I think Carol would be perfect for that! You know because of the flying and apparently normal sized thighs! I'll be in the fridge..."

• DrClever
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Currently, nobody benefits from “away.”

Yeah, I was hoping for more when they introduced it but like airborne they haven't made much of it.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2023
    Options

At least there are several characters who trigger AP gain when returning from Airborne, or gain AP while airborne. Right now the only conditional thing that happens on away is that Kang will defeat you. It would have been more beneficial to make that yellow power toss an enemy “away” than a friendly.

• DAZ0273
    Options

I don't understand why airborne takes you out of the battle.

It is a good job this isn't DCPuzzleQuest where basically nearly everybody can fly. Crikey the Legion of SuperHeroes all have FLIGHT rings! They would be absolutely useless. Why can't any of these flying heroes do anything? Vulture could drop things on your head, Carol is in a **** fighter jet. Also the game has never understood the point of "Fastball Special" - Colossus doesn't launch an X-Man into orbit and then wait for them to come down, he is throwing them at the **** bad guys directly! There is no pause before they get impaled by a cranky (alleged) Canadian with razor spikes.

• DrClever
    Options

Yeah, Fastball Special would make more sense (and that's what we all really want, right?) if the power fired immediately and then the character was stunned for a turn or two.

Airborne characters should be able to attack each other, Ant Men & Wasps should get to shrink and hit Yellowjacket or grow to flying height, Kamar Taj types should be able to come straight back from away, Wolverineish animal senses ought to sniff out the invisible lot at least partially effectively, Xavier should get a parking spot near the entrance, and basically all sorts of statuses should have a more game-affecting, Marvelly feel to them.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DrClever said:
    Yeah, Fastball Special would make more sense (and that's what we all really want, right?) if the power fired immediately and then the character was stunned for a turn or two.

Airborne characters should be able to attack each other, Ant Men & Wasps should get to shrink and hit Yellowjacket or grow to flying height, Kamar Taj types should be able to come straight back from away, Wolverineish animal senses ought to sniff out the invisible lot at least partially effectively, Xavier should get a parking spot near the entrance, and basically all sorts of statuses should have a more game-affecting, Marvelly feel to them.

I love the idea of wolverines (and Daredevil) being able to attack invisibility. Smart!

• DrClever
    Options

Yes! Makes even less sense for invisibility to affect DD.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Folks have been complaining that Human Torch gets hurt by the HAMMER flamethrower guy since... forever. I think they did come up with some story reason why that one worked, but I forgot what it was.

• DrClever
    Options

Damage types / resistances is something I thought they'd introduce at one point very early on - there's a sort of nod to it in some of the affiliation based powers but we could have much more.

Torch v flame throwers, Electro v lightning, Luke Cage v piercing, Galactus v Jessica Jones's office door - I'd quite like some "Oh, yeah, that was never going to work" moments.

(I know the whole street level to intergalactic thing means there will be some silliness but we could still have some strengths and weaknesses to play around)

• entrailbucket
    Options

@DrClever said:
    Damage types / resistances is something I thought they'd introduce at one point very early on - there's a sort of nod to it in some of the affiliation based powers but we could have much more.

Torch v flame throwers, Electro v lightning, Luke Cage v piercing, Galactus v Jessica Jones's office door - I'd quite like some "Oh, yeah, that was never going to work" moments.

(I know the whole street level to intergalactic thing means there will be some silliness but we could still have some strengths and weaknesses to play around)

Yeah...the bigger problem is that a bunch of guys are just hilariously overpowered in the comics/movies, so you'd end up with ridiculous things like Wolverine regenerating from 0 health to full in one turn, or Colossus being impervious to 99% of attacks, or Phoenix just trivially annihilating everyone.

Wolverine is a good example, because he always seems to get a healing power, and healing is sort of overpowered by default in this game. I think every single Wolverine's healing has been tweaked at some point -- they've never found a good way to implement it that's not either broken or totally irrelevant.