Do NOT do this to the Nick Fury covers...

Options
Ok, so this thread could potentially be posted under 'Character Discussions' or it can also be posted under 'Event's, Tournaments and Missions'. However, I believe it should be posted here in 'General Discussion' since we are not really talking about the cover itself or a specific tournament.

The cover is pretty rare - You pretty much have to be in a 20 person alliance, working together, playing daily for roughly a month and placing in the top 100 for your bracket (~5000 players) to win ONE of his covers. I hope that the devs do not decide to offer his rare cover up as a 1300 reward, a top of your bracket 3-day event reward, or any other event that reduces his prestige. Such action may cause an uprising and loss of confidence in any future "season-type" events... Why would someone spend all that time on getting a cover when they can wait until it is just given away?

Not sure how to offer him up, but once the 3 Season cycle concludes, his covers should be as difficult (maybe even at the individual level and not necessarily at the alliance level) to get.

Yes, many will agree and there are those that disagree, but that's why this is a forum.

BTW - I love the game and spend plenty of time playing it, but I would also like to preserve that of what truly takes a lot of sweat and blood to get.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I agree with you. These covers are incredibly rare and SHOULD REMAIN SO! The only way that I see more covers to be released (and I hate to say this), but to continue doing the seasons.

It may sound ridiculous but if you think about it, it could make sense. Each season is 26 days, there are 13 covers....that's roughly 1 year of seasons to max fury. Now it is incredibly time consuming and there will be complaining that it takes forever, but I think that the pvp matches within the seasons can change but keep the format of only getting Fury through the Season competition.

This is really the only way I think the devs could keep the reputation of legendary status of Nick Fury.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Unless it takes 2500 HP worth of shields to reach 1300, I doubt we'd see Nick Fury offered as a PvP progression reward anytime soon, because they sure can get that kind of value on him.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I will be surprised if they release him on anything. There isn't a competition that is comparable to the Seasons.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    except that IceIX even said he would have a regular release just like any other character and these seasons rewards were just like a sneak peak. I wasn't around for the IW release, was it similar percentages to a normal 3* release or was it more restricted to the very top of the bracket?
  • Unknown
    Options
    1600 pvp points, there you go...shield hop ur way up there
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    except that IceIX even said he would have a regular release just like any other character and these seasons rewards were just like a sneak peak. I wasn't around for the IW release, was it similar percentages to a normal 3* release or was it more restricted to the very top of the bracket?

IW had a pretty standard release and was added to PvP rewards shortly after.
  • Unknown
    Options
    no worry man season 4 will be launch right after season 3.

we are at 2/15 at the moment.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Once all three of Fury's covers have been released as season rewards they HAVE TO let him "into the wild" for anyone to get. Otherwise this game will be pure P2W. The whales that get one of each cover from the season rewards will no doubt max Fury out in a short amount of time.

If the rest of us don't have any chance of acquiring him then the people that have paid for max covers will likely rule supreme in PvP at least.

The issue with making 4* characters AMAZING is that there are only three and if everyone strives to make a 4* transition then we will all soon be facing the same team in PvP; Featured hero with a combination of two 4*.

This game needs more 4* heroes first, then make those heroes "balanced".

Prediction: At the end of season 3 + 1 day you will start seeing level 200+ Nick Furys.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I believe the original intent of seasons was to be something extra as an overarching thing for the endless stream of PvP tournaments that are run as opposed to the "grind your heart out for a month and win a fury cover" sentiment that you think it is. I really don't get this suggestion: if fury covers were handed out very infrequently, wouldn't more people be complaining that the game is p2w as the only way you can get the fury covers within a reasonable amount of time is by purchasing them? I think you're overreacting.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I don't see how things could be otherwise than giving Nick Fury out for tournaments like PvPs or Top in PvE, just the way XF and IW are currently given out.

Many guys have won all the covers for IW and XF. What motivation will they have now if there isn't any other 4* to max coverwise ? (levelling with ISO is another story).

As I understand things, Seasons will introduce the new 4* characters (1 every quarter) and the covers will later be given out in Events like PvPs (XF is just a 4* character, so the covers are valuable, but the character is not good enough so that people want to level him up except for one's collection).

Introducing a powerful 4* will most probably motivate guys to struggle in the PvPs. A cover is worth more than $12.

Besides, "new players" will have the opportunity to win Nick Fury that way, and the ones in a weak Alliance as well.

Considering the amount of players needing him, giving him out as prizing is the best option to keep people motivated.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's early access. I don't think it's unfair or devalues the effort. It's like buying a game for $60 day 1 rather than waiting for it to go on sale for $20.

Characters should not be prestige imo. They are core gameplay elements. You are basically disallowing people from using characters. Save prestige for non-gameplay elements like trophies or cosmetics imo.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I whole heartedly disagree with this. 4* covers are hard to get (as they should be). It is MUCH easier to get three 3* (rare) covers than it is to get a single 4* in any event. You're basically asking them to make a whole new category just for Fury.

1. This would only serve to make Fury unobtainable for anyone but elite alliance members who also spend lots of money to get what no one else can. This would be very bad for the game as a whole.
    2. Season rewards are just something you get after playing all the other events through the course of a month. I don't think it should have to take a month to get 10 heroic tokens, but i'm happy to get them at the end of the season. The same applies to having a trophy Fury cover.

I actually wish they wouldn't take 3 months just to introduce the character, but I'm ok with the suspense so long as he is obtainable after that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think my best response to the OP is probably "all kinds of no".

The fact that Fury is going to be the only 4* that's an upgrade over a maxed 3* is NOT any kind of reason to ration the hell out of him. It's a reason to make the other ones less useless.

The idea of taking a year to max him out of seasons is all kinds of stupid. Especially the fact you're suggesting he is ONLY available to top 100 alliances period... I don't even have the words...

People complain about PvP being stagnant because of the glut of 3*s then suggest the only viable upgrade from a 3* roster should be drip fed out for what reason? So people willing to just buy the covers get their moneys worth (and a massive advantage)?

He should be added to the rotation with IW and X-Farce. IceX already said the seasons stuff is a "sneak preview" which implies he'll be handed out as normal (as he should be).

It's not like everyone can reach 1300 points or come first in an event just because they feel like it anyway. You'll probably find it's people with their strong 3* rosters who, shockingly, seem like the kind of people who should be transitioning to 4* heroes.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nick Fury's avaiability has nothing to do with transitioning to 4* (it they wanted to do that, they would've released more 4*) or being elite. It's that he's a great bargaining chip on D3's side and it'd be silly to sell him out for less. What they should do is when you've another pointless PvP event like Krakadoom for Loki cover, put Nick Fury as the #1 prize and people will probably forget that you've a Ragnarok featured event whose reward is Loki. Similarly if they ever decide to run TaT again they can put Nick Fury as the prize and people will forget how much TaT sucked. It is not worth it to offer him as a recurring prize for PvE/PvP, let alone any kind of progression reward, because he's someone that can actually salvage a very bad event by being the prize. Additionally he's a good source for gettin rid of 25000 HP from people with way too much HP/money and there should be something that's worthwhile to spend a lot of HP on. Of course he should also be available in heroic tokens, but you're out of your mind if you're trying to buying heroic tokens in hope of getting any 4* if you've their prerequisite covers. Now for those who don't have the covers, that's a different story but I don't know how you're supposed to resolve that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I don't think they should be giving away any 4* covers as alliance rewards. Either that or they need to find a way to block top alliances from continually winning all the new covers. It's not like most of the individuals in those alliances couldn't easily win them in solo events. I would rather them limit alliance rewards to HP/ISO instead of awarding a cover that is unique and you will likely be able to obtain anytime soon unless you are in the top 1% of the alliances.

They are basically giving out 2000 Nick Fury covers as alliance rewards and giving out 81 heroic 10-packs as solo rewards. They are also only awarding the heroic 10-packs up to 50th place for the solo portion. They are awarding the Nick Fury cover to the top 100 for alliances. 50 people are going to get one or more heroic 10-packs, but 2000 or so are going to get a Nick Fury cover. Seems a bit backwards to me.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, I think people are overselling him, since he's the only decent 4*
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i honestly think they should really should just put him in the regular rotation of 1300's, cause that way it'd make it obtainable to everyone with a decent roster. Making him a season event only prize would merely increase the **** and moaning about how hardcore it makes the PVP's and make him unobtainable by all but the top 10% of people.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Boomer69 wrote:
    I don't think they should be giving away any 4* covers as alliance rewards. Either that or they need to find a way to block top alliances from continually winning all the new covers. It's not like most of the individuals in those alliances couldn't easily win them in solo events. I would rather them limit alliance rewards to HP/ISO instead of awarding a cover that is unique and you will likely be able to obtain anytime soon unless you are in the top 1% of the alliances.

They are basically giving out 2000 Nick Fury covers as alliance rewards and giving out 81 heroic 10-packs as solo rewards. They are also only awarding the heroic 10-packs up to 50th place for the solo portion. They are awarding the Nick Fury cover to the top 100 for alliances. 50 people are going to get one or more heroic 10-packs, but 2000 or so are going to get a Nick Fury cover. Seems a bit backwards to me.

If they wouldn't give a Nick Fury 4* cover as Alliance reward, I'm sure 80 % (if not more) of players would leave the Alliance thing or just stop playing Seasons' Events.

The Season thing is quite lame at the moment, and Nick Fury is the only thing that motivates people to keep on playing competitively (unless you are in any X-Men Alliance icon_e_smile.gif )

What's the use of playing those BORING PvPs (with the same featured characters) if it's not to rank in Season ?

Besides, if the whales are important in the MPQ's economy, they have to keep them buying ISO and HP.

I hardly could find any motivation if there wasn't a cool 4* cover to win and max over a 3 months time.

Guys like us need to dream about what the future can be (with almighty characters in our rosters). And D3P at least understood that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I hardly could find any motivation if there wasn't a cool 4* cover to win and max over a 3 months time.

Exactly, I'm not in the top 1% of alliances or even close, so I have hardly any motivation to play currently. Season 1 I finished top 25 and only picked up a few useful covers for my effort. Season 2 I'm currently ranked 416 and will probably drop further. I have no desire to work on this event for a month only to get one or more of their **** 10-packs.
    Guys like us need to dream about what the future can be (with almighty characters in our rosters). And D3P at least understood that.

No, D3 understands how to monetize the game. They have a lot of whales in the top 100 alliances and by ensuring they get all 3 abilities, it ensures that these guys have a reason to spend another 25,000 HP.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Boomer69 wrote:

No, D3 understands how to monetize the game. They have a lot of whales in the top 100 alliances and by ensuring they get all 3 abilities, it ensures that these guys have a reason to spend another 25,000 HP.

Well, I did not want to think that, but you are about right.

As a whale, they should consider I am an endangered species... icon_redface.gif