Forest Fire is awesomeness.

Comments

• The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    First I thought this was a new thing, then I thought someone from Magic: The Gathering Puzzle Quest posted here by mistake, then I looked at the date.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even today I choose the forest or desert nodes out of habit so I can make lots of green cascades or boost AP.
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Was going to create a thread about environmental tiles but found this one.

Anyone who reads the original posts and gets all misty eyed would know just how awesome Forest Fire was. Please can we have a story event in which they make a comeback instead of team up tiles? Yes the cities Hit Dog Stand was just awful but playing versus events and the environmental tiles adding a different layer of strategy was one of the better things that got dropped.

I never really considered it strategy. It was:

-Find desert node
    -spam mistress of the elements
    -use either daken or a good green user
    -??????
    -profit

Or, if no desert node existed:
    -find forest node
    -gather an obscenely low amount of enviro ap
    -use thorned rose
    -gg

I pretty much ignored enviro powers on the other maps. However, I do think they should have been fixed rather than replaced with team-ups. If balanced, then a layer of strategy could have been added to make the game much different.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nothing like a 2+ year bump to make you think you're losing your mind...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

Good, I'm not the only one that thought the update hit this morning without an announcement on here.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

Yeah, I was reading this and thought "those people are trolling us. Those powers do not exist." Then I noted the date and thought "oh yeah! The second level Environmental powers! I totally forgot about those."

Seriously, though, they were really hard to get to. I think I hit them maybe two or three times ever?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought it was some ragequitter starting forest fires in response to Venom Bomb
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    I thought some Magic the Gathering discussion had spilled over into our forum, it took me scrolling down about 10 comments until I looked at the date.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    keep-calm.jpg
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    sc0ville wrote:
    I thought some Magic the Gathering discussion had spilled over into our forum, it took me scrolling down about 10 comments until I looked at the date.
    Exactly... my first thought was, "Did I start browsing the wrong forum by accident??"
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    sc0ville wrote:
    Exactly... my first thought was, "Did I start browsing the wrong forum by accident??"
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    thread_necromancer_card_3.jpg
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember environment tiles but had no idea that you could accumulate that much environment AP for different abilities.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does anyone have screenshots of this going off?
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    firethorne wrote:

Well done, that's a remarkably on-point image.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

Were screenshots even invented when this feature was still around?

icon_twisted.gif
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    sc0ville wrote:
    firethorne wrote:

Well done, that's a remarkably on-point image.
    And that flavor text...
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

hqdefault.jpg

Edit: Oh wait that's the original Puzzle Quest lol
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    avs962 wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:
    Was going to create a thread about environmental tiles but found this one.

Anyone who reads the original posts and gets all misty eyed would know just how awesome Forest Fire was. Please can we have a story event in which they make a comeback instead of team up tiles? Yes the cities Hit Dog Stand was just awful but playing versus events and the environmental tiles adding a different layer of strategy was one of the better things that got dropped.

I never really considered it strategy. It was:

-Find desert node
    -spam mistress of the elements
    -use either daken or a good green user
    -??????
    -profit

Or, if no desert node existed:
    -find forest node
    -gather an obscenely low amount of enviro ap
    -use thorned rose
    -gg

I pretty much ignored enviro powers on the other maps. However, I do think they should have been fixed rather than replaced with team-ups. If balanced, then a layer of strategy could have been added to make the game much different.

It wasn't just that simple though as environment match damage was always way lower than the match damage of more useful AP.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Linkster79 wrote:

It wasn't just that simple though as environment match damage was always way lower than the match damage of more useful AP.
    Match damage didn't matter cause you could just go infinite with 1* storm and pick a thor in the desert node and generally same thing in forest as well. However, when it could matter, environment actually did 0 damage. This actually saved me on a couple occasions since AI preferred to match environment tiles, leaving me on sub-200 life several times where a single non-environment match would have killed me.

Also, the Tundra or whatever the winter one was called could be pretty fun. I was using Pun/cmags a lot and with Pun's environment value higher than most and crit multiplier 4x, you could collect a ton of environment AP quickly and fire off the big power. Not that cmags usually needed much help, but it was fun having all that blue ap, y'know, to make more blue...