[BOSS EVENT] BOSS RUSH - 10/10/24 - 10/13/24

S0kun
S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 659 Critical Contributor
edited 11 October 2024, 23:41 in MPQ General Discussion

Making its return after a long hiatus, BOSS RUSH (changed from originally planned Mephisto), is our next exciting boss event during our 11th Anniversary Month! Here're the rewards and required characters that you'll team up with to battle against some of MPQ's biggest bads.

[BOSS EVENT] BOSS RUSH - 10/10/24 - 10/13/24

[HEROIC]
Progression Rewards:
Captain Carter | Peggy Carter (Captain America) ★★★★

Top 25 Alliance Placement Rewards:
Wong (Master of the Mystic Arts) ★★★★★
Hulkling (Young Avengers) ★★★★★
Korg (Sakaar Gladiator) ★★★★★

[NORMAL]
Jeffrey (Land Shark) ★★★
Peggy Carter (Captain America) ★★★★
Nova (Richard Rider) ★★★★★

[REQUIRED CHARACTERS]

1 & 2 Star
Captain America (Steve Rogers) ★★
Daken (Dark Avengers) ★★
Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) ★★

3-Star
Captain America (Super-Soldier) ★★★
Daken (Classic) ★★★
Deadpool (Devpool) ★★★
Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool!) ★★★
Hit-Monkey (Mercenary Hitman) ★★★
Jeffrey (Land Shark) ★★★
Omega Red (Arkady Rossovich) ★★★
Peggy Carter (Iron Carter) ★★★
Sam Wilson (Captain America) ★★★
Vulture (Classic) ★★★
Wolverine (Patch) ★★★

4-Star
Captain America (Worthy) ★★★★
Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force) ★★★★
Peggy Carter (Captain America) ★★★★
Vulture (Adrian Toomes) ★★★★
Wolverine (X-Force) ★★★★

5-Star
Captain America (First Avenger) ★★★★★
Captain America (Infinity War) ★★★★★
Deadpool (Hotpool) ★★★★★
Deadpool (Spirit of Vengeance) ★★★★★
Hit-Monkey (E.D.I. Suit) ★★★★★
Jeffrey (Symbiote) ★★★★★
Omega Red (Horseman of Pestilence) ★★★★★
Peggy Carter (Worthy) ★★★★★
Vulture (Armor Wars) ★★★★★
Wolverine (Old Man Logan) ★★★★★
Wolverine (Samurai Daken) ★★★★★

Comments

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker

So we were supposed to get a mephisto boss? Or are we not getting the 3/5 or...?

• fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 385 Mover and Shaker

Boss Rush 1.0 or 2.0.... :# it matters to some of us old timers. :D

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,679 Chairperson of the Boards

@fnedude said:
    Boss Rush 1.0 or 2.0.... :# it matters to some of us old timers. :D

Honestly it doesn't matter now. They put Boss Rush Phoenix in an actual PvE and nobody even noticed. We've got so much more ammunition now that we'd all trivially murder Boss Rush 1.0.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 933 Critical Contributor

Either one would be a new event for me. What's the event like, fight a bunch of the bosses?

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards

@WilliamK1983 said:
    Either one would be a new event for me. What's the event like, fight a bunch of the bosses?

3 Bosses, back to back, no stuns, several of them variants of 5s that didn't exist anywhere else (like Old Man Logan, Banner, and Phoenix), and at a time when most rosters were just not equipped to handle it well. I remember running... 3 Storm, 3* Kamala Khan, and 4* Cyclops, and getting Cyke's yellow countdown into the 60's pretty easily, basically playing a very slow winfinite team where I only managed to survive by keeping the bosses from fighting back.

Now it has a lot of potential to be fun, but back then? It was rough.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,592 Chairperson of the Boards

@JHawkInc said:

@WilliamK1983 said:

3 Bosses, back to back, no stuns, several of them variants of 5s that didn't exist anywhere else (like Old Man Logan, Banner, and Phoenix), and at a time when most rosters were just not equipped to handle it well. I remember running... 3 Storm, 3* Kamala Khan, and 4* Cyclops, and getting Cyke's yellow countdown into the 60's pretty easily, basically playing a very slow winfinite team where I only managed to survive by keeping the bosses from fighting back.

It was really rough. The rule used to be "We do not talk about Boss Rush."

As you say, now it won't be awful, though I have to say the "deal with three bosses one after the other" is definitely time-consuming. On the other hand, I imagine it will be no worse than the Sinister Six Boss event.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,120 Chairperson of the Boards

@GrimSkald said:

@JHawkInc said:

@WilliamK1983 said:

As you say, now it won't be awful, though I have to say the "deal with three bosses one after the other" is definitely time-consuming. On the other hand, I imagine it will be no worse than the Sinister Six Boss event.

If it is as easy as Sinister Six then happy times!

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards

@GrimSkald said:

@JHawkInc said:

@WilliamK1983 said:

I think I remember Boss Rush? It would've been early in my tenure on this game, like "my heavy hitter is 2-star Wolverine" early.

• DAZ0273

@MegaBee said:

@GrimSkald said:

@JHawkInc said:

@WilliamK1983 said:

I think I remember Boss Rush? It would've been early in my tenure on this game, like "my heavy hitter is 2-star Wolverine" early.

I think it was Anniversary 4? Could be wrong on that.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,799 Chairperson of the Boards

I miss the days when boss events were tough and we had to figure out teams to get through it rather than 1 turn matches. That was peak MPQ for me, trying to find a team of 2/3 and early 4* to get through this and not knowing if you could make the score. Now loads of people don't even bother putting much effort in until the needle has been moved for them through the early waves.

There's no jeopardy, with this new engine please put CL on boss events and let us choose harder events with better rewards as an individual.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:

@MegaBee said:

@GrimSkald said:

@JHawkInc said:

@WilliamK1983 said:

I think it was Anniversary 4? Could be wrong on that.

Okay, I was a little later in the game than I thought. I definitely couldn't win Boss Rush, though.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,237 Chairperson of the Boards

The non-heroic boss rush has 2 3star ascended to 4 star characters in the progression rewards. Nice.

• DAZ0273

I wonder why Mephisto got pulled? Maybe his powers have some sort of glitchiness to them? Good to know this was in reserve.

• entrailbucket

I found one (of...many) feedback threads on the first boss rush event. It was not well liked.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/53424/boss-rush-enjoyment-poll

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 933 Critical Contributor

@JHawkInc said:

@WilliamK1983 said:

Interesting. I like a good challenge from the game even if my phone takes a trip or two across the room. But being what characters were available at the time, it had to be more torturous than challenging. Maybe some sort of balance between the two can be struck.

• fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 385 Mover and Shaker

This should probably be called "Boss Rush 3.0".

Boss Rush 2.0, had 3x bosses in a wave node, with the AP reset to 0 IIRC after each boss. So your guys didn't regenerate HP. This event is just 1x Boss at a time, that seems to change after the side nodes are taken out.

• Tac
    Tac Posts: 23 Just Dropped In

I suggest bossroulette

• Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 166 Tile Toppler

I'm a little disappointed it's not the previous version, honestly. I was just breaking in to fully covered 4* territory back then & 3* Storm, Kamala, Hulk got me through full progression. It's what finally convinced me to leave my casual alliance that never made it to round 6.

I did suggest to my alliance the evil remake I secretly hoped for was to add another boss wave each round. They may have needed to up the rewards a little bit, but would still capture the tension of the original versions. Especially if AP didn't reset between waves.

• entrailbucket

@Painmonger said:
    I'm a little disappointed it's not the previous version, honestly. I was just breaking in to fully covered 4* territory back then & 3* Storm, Kamala, Hulk got me through full progression. It's what finally convinced me to leave my casual alliance that never made it to round 6.

I did suggest to my alliance the evil remake I secretly hoped for was to add another boss wave each round. They may have needed to up the rewards a little bit, but would still capture the tension of the original versions. Especially if AP didn't reset between waves.

I really don't think they can make "normal" fights difficult now. The power level on offense has gone up so far that, short of breaking the rules, or mandating a set of 3 characters they choose, we're going to kill enemies that have any amount of HP or do any amount of damage. We've got teams that pretty trivially go infinite turn 1 and can do infinite damage. They could run a 20-enemy wave that has 999,999 HP each and does massive damage, and you'd just cheese it in two minutes with Kang or m'Thor/Shang-Chi.

Puzzle Gauntlet and/or stuff like Quandary is the only way they can make fights difficult, but I don't think they're very popular (maybe because of this!).