[BOSS EVENT] AN EDUCATED WISH - 8/15/2024 - 8/18/2024

S0kun
S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 611 Critical Contributor

Here's what you can expect next week when you'll have to face off against Deadpool & Wolverine in our newest MPQ Boss Event, An Educated Wish.

8/15/2024 - 8/18/2024
[BOSS EVENT]
AN EDUCATED WISH

[HEROIC]
Progression Rewards:
Hellfire Gala Wolverine (Patch) ★★★

Top 10 Alliance Placement Rewards:
Refreshment Cart (Multiversal Comestibles) ★★★★★
Destroyer Gun (So That's What It Does) ★★★★★
Ancestral Plane (Home of Panthers) ★★★★★

[NORMAL]
Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force) ★★★★
Wolverine (X-Force) ★★★★
Kaine Parker (Scarlet Spider) ★★★★★

[REQUIRED CHARACTERS]
5-Star
Archangel (Horseman of Death) ★★★★★
Cable (Nathan Summers) ★★★★★
Colossus (Phoenix Five) ★★★★★
Deadpool (Hotpool) ★★★★★
Emma Frost (Phoenix Five) ★★★★★
Gambit (Classic) ★★★★★
Havok (Classic) ★★★★★
Iceman (Bobby Drake) ★★★★★
Jean Grey (Phoenix) ★★★★★
Jubilee (Phoenix Force) ★★★★★
Kitty Pryde (Uncanny X-Men) ★★★★★
Magik (Phoenix Five) ★★★★★
Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) ★★★★★
Professor X (Classic) ★★★★★
Storm (Ororo Munroe) ★★★★★
Wolverine (Old Man Logan) ★★★★★

4-Star
Bishop (Classic) ★★★★
Cyclops (Classic) ★★★★
Dazzler (Classic) ★★★★
Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force) ★★★★
Domino (X-Force) ★★★★
Doop (Green One) ★★★★
Emma Frost (Astonishing X-Men) ★★★★
Gwenpool (Gwen Poole) ★★★★
Iceman (All-New X-Men) ★★★★
Jean Grey (All-New X-Men) ★★★★
Jubilee (Uncanny X-Men) ★★★★
Kate Pryde (Marauders) ★★★★
Legion (David Haller) ★★★★
Magik (Classic) ★★★★
Multiple Man (Jamie Madrox) ★★★★
Negasonic (Modern) ★★★★
Nightcrawler (Classic) ★★★★
Polaris (Lorna Dane) ★★★★
Professor X (Charles Xavier) ★★★★
Rogue (Classic) ★★★★
Wolverine (X-Force) ★★★★
X-23 (All-New Wolverine) ★★★★

3-Star
Angel (All-New X-Men) ★★★
Beast (Classic) ★★★
Colossus (Classic) ★★★
Cyclops (Uncanny X-Men) ★★★
Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool!) ★★★
Emma Frost (New X-Men) ★★★
Gambit (Modern) ★★★
Honey Badger (Gabby Kinney) ★★★
Jubilee (Vampire) ★★★
Magik (Darkchylde) ★★★
Psylocke (Classic) ★★★
Storm (Mohawk) ★★★
Wolverine (Patch) ★★★

1 & 2 Star
Magneto (Marvel NOW!) ★★
Nightcrawler (Uncanny Spider-Man) ★★
Storm (Classic) ★★
Storm (Modern) ★
Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) ★★

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,662 Chairperson of the Boards

Is Devpool going to be boosted/useable in the Heroic since he has all affiliations, or is the list specifically built based on X-Men affiliation vs the game just pulling them in? And hence he might not be included?

Although if Hotpool is an X-man, wouldn’t Devpool be as well?

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 864 Critical Contributor

I don't understand how new boss events can be made no problem, but a new pve is impossible at the moment. Make this make sense.

• trewiltrewil
    trewiltrewil Posts: 71 Match Maker

@WilliamK1983 said:
    I don't understand how new boss events can be made no problem, but a new pve is impossible at the moment. Make this make sense.

It seems like what they can change easily is the background and the teams in the nodes. And all bos events use the same template, with just a different background and team (except sinister six and battle at the B). My guess is this is a reskin of battle at the B and not a net new event.

Seems like maybe the hard part is actually building out next new components within the event to give anything more than a basic reskin.

Honestly though this has been a problem way to long given how important it is for game health. I understand the desire to tie it to new engine upgrades as a PM but at some point those getting pushed back from middle of this year to next year really hurt the game.

I really hope these changes are worth it, and if I were a PM on this project I would start thinking about teasing them as soon as they are getting firm up because it is a lot of waiting with no drip or excitement.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,530 Chairperson of the Boards

@WilliamK1983 said:

A lot of this is Marvel. Supposedly Marvel has to approve all the fights, every line of dialogue, the overall plot...it sounds like a nightmare.

Boss events don't have a story at all, and don't have any dialogue.

• Tac
    Tac Posts: 14 Just Dropped In

Pretty please can you tell us, since we're facing deadpool and wolverine, is it :

One boss alternating every two rounds - like moltenman & hydroman,
    or two bosses every round like spiderverse vs sinister six?

• bluewolf

@Tac The devs have a long-established policy of not telling players about new PVE/boss events as a way to enhance the "puzzle" aspect of things. You'll find out when it's live....

To piggyback a bit on @entrailbucket & @trewiltrewil 's points, new boss events have the same exact point structure every single time vs PVEs which vary quite a bit depending on whether there are one-time nodes, how many easy nodes there are, what they do with the main hub (replayable node? not?). etc.

Whether they are modifying an existing template or whatever....boss events obviously require a lot less work for a lot of different reasons than an actual PVE. All node rewards are the same, for boss and side nodes, every round. Enemy teams repeat constantly, both within the event and from event to event (it seems like sometimes there is variance; I haven't tried to keep track or anything but it also feels like you see the same teams in multiple boss events).

It's just so much easier-seeming to build than a new PVE.

• Tac
    Tac Posts: 14 Just Dropped In

@bluewolf said:
    @Tac The devs have a long-established policy of not telling players about new PVE/boss events as a way to enhance the "puzzle" aspect of things. You'll find out when it's live....

The first version of my last message started with "dear dataminers" but I chose to leave it more open ended just in case haha.

The "puzzle" is already cracked regardless of the answer, especially since like you said, events are essentially reskinned copy pastes, including point values for everything but a few missions.

My question impacts organisation. As in how you spread your players BEFORE the event starts

• captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker

Since Boss events are obviously much easier to create and there are so many of them, why are they not running them more often? Every two weeks would be great.

• trenchdigger
    trenchdigger Posts: 133 Tile Toppler

Only if they run them in addition to normal PVE. And are you expecting 2 more 5* covers? Seems unlikely..

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,059 Chairperson of the Boards

@trenchdigger said:
    Only if they run them in addition to normal PVE. And are you expecting 2 more 5* covers? Seems unlikely..

Doesn't have to be two more covers of a latest release - given 5s are well into bloat mode now.

Personally I don't have a direct dog as I only have one final Classic to cover and I am done but if the Devs would like to have Heimdall as a reward then I won't stop them!

• captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker

@trenchdigger said:

Two covers of a 5 from 5+ years ago would not hurt the economy in the least. I'd be fine with another puzzle gauntlet too, the supports are getting bloated. This game needs more recent players to a means to fill out roster and supports.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,059 Chairperson of the Boards

I am very disappointed they skipped Thanos Copter on this one - I have no idea if it is good or not but I MUST have it.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker

I really want a r5 thanos copter. Managed to snag a 3 from tokens when it was in there, and it's been fav'd since, but it'll be a while.

I love all the cascading fantasticar does and that's only for 4 turns, I figure TC will be better.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,393 Chairperson of the Boards

@captainheath said:

@trenchdigger said:

Two covers of a 5 from 5+ years ago would not hurt the economy in the least. I'd be fine with another puzzle gauntlet too, the supports are getting bloated. This game needs more recent players to a means to fill out roster and supports.

They added support shards to PVP. I really wish they would add them to PVE rewards. Shouldn't be that hard but I'm sure it is coming with the new "engine".

• bluewolf

@LavaManLee said:

@captainheath said:

@trenchdigger said:

They added support shards to PVP. I really wish they would add them to PVE rewards. Shouldn't be that hard but I'm sure it is coming with the new "engine".

Even at this point there’s a strong desire to make PvP more appealing with better rewards for the effort (or at least number of matches you play) which sort of results in a bit better ROI over pve. Because pve is the baseline (above ddq) for players in general.

• LavaManLee

@bluewolf said:

@LavaManLee said:

@captainheath said:

@trenchdigger said:

Even at this point there’s a strong desire to make PvP more appealing with better rewards for the effort (or at least number of matches you play) which sort of results in a bit better ROI over pve. Because pve is the baseline (above ddq) for players in general.

That still doesn't explain why support shards couldn't be added to PVE. Supports are one of the hardest things to get so just throw out 50 or 100 shards. Shouldn't be that difficult.

• LavaManLee

@KGB said:

@LavaManLee said:

@bluewolf said:

@LavaManLee said:

@captainheath said:

@trenchdigger said:

That still doesn't explain why support shards couldn't be added to PVE. Supports are one of the hardest things to get so just throw out 50 or 100 shards. Shouldn't be that difficult.

How about 15 shards for the 4th clear of the challenge node in CL10 (replacing the existing 4th clear reward)? That way you can earn 45-60 shards per PvE depending on whether it's a 3 or 4 day event (30 in the case of Deadpool vs MPQ).

KGB

Definitely better than nothing. No idea why supports are still so hard to get.

• bluewolf

Supports remain hard to get because they only need a relatively small number of shards (depending on pulls) to max the rank vs characters which can literally absorb hundreds to thousands of covers before they’re maxed out.

Also they don’t seem to know how to monetize them properly. Selling R1 or 2 is to me a complete ignore but they keep doing it.

• Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 502 Critical Contributor

@bluewolf said:
    Supports remain hard to get because they only need a relatively small number of shards (depending on pulls) to max the rank vs characters which can literally absorb hundreds to thousands of covers before they’re maxed out.

Also they don’t seem to know how to monetize them properly. Selling R1 or 2 is to me a complete ignore but they keep doing it.

Right?!?! They sell a r1 support for money and then turn around and give away your choice from 3 for just playing.