Upcoming Rebalanced Supports for PVP Supports Season

Options
S0kun
S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 497 Mover and Shaker

Prior to the start of the next PVP Soul Stone season on Thursday June 27th, a few Supports will be getting the below adjustments that will go live when the season starts.

These Supports are some of the earliest created Supports in MPQ and were created while we were still formulating our Support balance. As a result, some of their pieces don't really measure up to modern design sensibilities.

As well, a lot of early Supports had percentage based proc rates at battle start or low rates during battle. While those can be fun on occasion, it really meant that a lot of players would do things like equip a Support then retreat immediately if they didn't get a battle start proc. That's not a fun piece of gameplay for anyone. So these have been updated so that they're not proc based.

The Dora Milaje (Protectors of the Throne)

BEFORE

RANK 1
The supported character's base Yellow match damage is increased by 110.

RANK 2
When the supported character makes a Red match, there's a 40.00% chance to gain 2 extra Red AP.

RANK 3
At the start of battle, there's a 70.00% chance to create 2 strength 331 Protect tiles.

RANK 4
The supported character's maximum health is increased by 2541.

RANK 5
When you make a Match-5 or greater, improve 1 friendly Strike, Attack, or Protect tile by 464.

SYNERGY PERK
When Black Panther (Civil War) takes at least 5% of his health in damage, deal 812 damage.

AFTER

RANK 1
The supported character's base Yellow match damage is increased by 246.

RANK 2
When the supported character makes a Red match, gain 2 extra Red AP.

RANK 3
At the start of battle, Create 2 strength 379 Protect tiles.

RANK 4
The supported character's maximum health is increased by 12.00%.

RANK 5
When you make a Match-5 or greater, Improve 1 friendly Strike, Attack, or Protect tile by 607.

SYNERGY PERK
When Black Panther (Civil War) takes at least 5% of his health in damage, deal 9.00% of the targets max health in damage.

Lockheed (Dragon Companion)

BEFORE

RANK 1
At the start of the turn, there's a 24.00% chance to fortify a random friendly special tile.

RANK 3
The supported character's damage from enemy powers is reduced by 1792.

RANK 5
When the supported character fires a power, there's a 75.00% chance of creating a strength 637 Strike tile.

SYNERGY PERK
At the start of the battle, create 1 strength 299 Protect tile for every X-Men character on the team.

AFTER

RANK 1
At the start of the turn fortify a random friendly special tile. (This can only occur once every 2 turns)

RANK 3
The supported character's damage from enemy powers is reduced by 2995.

RANK 5
When the supported character fires a power, create a strength 588 Strike tile.

SYNERGY PERK
At the start of the battle, create 1 strength 493 Protect tile for every X-Men character on the team.

Lucky (Pizza Dog)

BEFORE

RANK 1
The supported character's damage from enemy powers is reduced by 495.

RANK 2
When a friendly special tile is matched, there's a 65.00% chance to heal the supported character for 1071 health.

RANK 3
When you make a match in the team's strongest color, there's a 34.00% chance of improving a friendly Strike tile by 203.

RANK 4
The supported character's Critical tile multiplier is increased by 1.4.

RANK 5
The supported character's base Purple match damage is increased by 184.

SYNERGY PERK
When Kate fires a power, increase 1 of your Ruthless Precision or Looking for Trouble Countdown tiles by 1 turn.

AFTER

RANK 1
The Supported Character's damage from enemy Powers is reduced by 1270.

RANK 2
When a friendly special tile is matched, heal the supported character for 6.00% of their max health.

RANK 3
When you make a match in the team's strongest color, Empower a friendly Strike tile by 320%.

RANK 4
The supported character's Critical tile multiplier is increased by 2.30.

RANK 5
The supported character's base Purple match damage is increased by 246.

SYNERGY PERK
When Kate fires a power, increase 1 of your Ruthless Precision or Looking for Trouble Countdown tiles by 3 tum.

Mirror Image (Loki's Trickery)

BEFORE

RANK 1
When a friendly power is fired, there's a 19.00% chance to remove an enemy special tile.

RANK 3
The supported character deals an extra 779 damage to Heroes.

RANK 5
When you make a Match-4 or greater, there's a 100.00% chance to steal 1 AP in your team's strongest color.

SYNERGY PERK
Whenever Loki's Feign Death Trap tile is matched, deal 5573 damage.

AFTER

RANK 1
When a friendly power is fired, there's a 100.00% chance to remove an enemy special tile.

RANK 3
The supported character deals an extra 1308 damage to Heroes.

RANK 5
When you make a Match-4 or greater, steal 2 AP in your team's strongest color.

SYNERGY PERK
Whenever Loki's Feign Death Trap tile is matched, deal 10256 damage.

Spider-Sense (Danger Detection)

BEFORE

RANK 1
The supported character takes 8.00% less damage from enemy matches.

RANK 2
The supported character's base Green match damage is increased by 132.

RANK 3
At the start of battle, there's a 70.00% chance to gain 3 Green AP.

RANK 4
The supported character's damage from enemy powers is reduced by 726.

RANK 5
At the start of the turn, there's a 20.00% chance to create a strength 294 Protect tile.

SYNERGY PERK
New Red, Green, and Blue tiles have a 15.00% chance of being Web tiles on Spider-Man's turn.

AFTER

RANK 1
The supported character takes 38.00% less damage from enemy matches.

RANK 2
The supported character's base Green match damage is increased by 246.

RANK 3
At the start of battle, gain 4 Green AP.

RANK 4
The Supported Character's damage from enemy Powers is reduced by 1270.

RANK 5
At the start of the turn, there's a 24.00% chance to create a strength 341 Protect tile.

SYNERGY PERK
New Red, Green, and Blue tiles have a 26.00% chance of being Web tiles on Spider-Man's tum.

Stepford Cuckoos (Telepathic Teens)

BEFORE

RANK 1
When the supported character fires a power, there's a 34.00% chance to steal 3 random AP.

RANK 3
The supported character's base Purple match damage is increased by 398.

RANK 5
The supported character's Critical tile multiplier is increased by 2.7.

SYNERGY PERK
Enemy powers deal 298 less damage to Emma for each Fortified friendly tile on the board (max of 6 tiles).

AFTER

RANK 1
When the supported character fires a power, steal 3 random AP.

RANK 3
The supported character's base Purple match damage is increased by 663.

RANK 5
The supported character's Critical tile multiplier is increased by 3.40.

SYNERGY PERK
Enemy powers deal 645 less damage to Emma for each of Emma's special tiles and Fortified friendly tiles on the board (max of 6 tiles).

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,172 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think these were all pretty bad before, and they're mostly still pretty bad?

• AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Appreciated. Anything that has a reliable effect rather than a percentage-whatever proc is a great change in my book! (Regardless of the supports-in-pvp thing, which has me a little apprehensive...)

Seeing the buff on Mirror Image makes me really wish the stuff on Loki's support was actually folded into his kit though. He sure could do with a strongest-AP-steal on match-4. I love his purple, but it does require 11 purple AP up front. (To say nothing of his equally expensive green which is so slow and bad that it might as well not exist. He's effectively a 1-colour character with a revive passive.)
    You keenly feel the lack of self-feeding on him.

• Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 448 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

That spider sense one will go good with my India team, now I can put that one him and purple supports on 3* Gwen and whoever third I bring for an almost guaranteed 0 turn win. Just need a guaranteed purple support that can go on anyone, Krakoa works but then I'm forced to bring a mutant and I have to bring Gwen and if I get to pick the 3rd iron May is best.

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Does this also open the door to Supports that we've relied on for years in PVE being nerfed because they're too powerful in PVP, even though most players never wanted them added to PVP in the first place?
    So we're potentially jeopardizing both the PVP & PVE we've become accustomed to?

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,052 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 26 June 2024, 03:29
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

I have Lucky on Polaris for the true heal (Carol Communicator is on BrB).

The changes here to that support are awesome. Instead of a random chance for a heal she will get 6% of health healed on every special matched (which will be pretty much every turn she will get 1500 health based on my 370 Polaris). Plus empowering a strike tile by 320% every time you match the teams strongest color can really add up in a couple of matches (100 strength tile goes to 420 after one match, then goes to 1680 on the 2nd match and so on). This support is arguably better than Carols Communicator now when used on a Polaris team by one of it's members.

Dora Milaje should also be a better fit for 4 star Black Panther (esp an ascended version) since you get a guaranteed 5 Red from every match if he's tanking so you need only 2 matches to fire his Red.

KGB

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Great. Hated chance on proc.

Now please redo the really bland ones like Pocket Radio and Kra-van.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,491 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

My brain is nearly full of MPQ and now we need to relearn a bunch of supports?

Gonna be some unpleasant surprises, I think.

Thanks but aaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhhh….

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,829 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm only now in this thread just learning what these ones used to do but no longer will.

• y4747
    y4747 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options

... is it just me, or does stepford rank 1 on multiple man mean enemy will never have ap?

• captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options

I really hope they changed the Dora Milaje to more than just Black Panther. All supports should be able to go on more than one toon.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,829 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@captainheath said:
    I really hope they changed the Dora Milaje to more than just Black Panther. All supports should be able to go on more than one toon.

Also change the AP accumulation to black which actually helps him.

• WhiteBomber
    WhiteBomber Posts: 178 Tile Toppler
    Options

Love the upgrades, thanks @S0kun

• trenchdigger
    trenchdigger Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options

Only just realised there are 2 different supports both of which are restricted to black panther, Dora Milaje and Ancestral Plane. What were the developers thinking?

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Kra-Van needs to create low power enemy specials when equipped to Kraven, a character who should have an ability that creates low power enemy specials.

Dora Milaje works great for 4* Black Panther on every tier except the affinitiy bonus; he is able to equip it, you just don't get a final perk. Ancestral Plane is kind of underwhelming for all panthers, but largely helps Civil War the most I guess. though it has no synergy perk, so it's odd that it would be locked to a Black Panther.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

Lucky's rank 3 changed ability is probably going to be very exploitable:

RANK 3
    When you make a match in the team's strongest color, Empower a friendly Strike tile by 320%.

If that's going up by 320% of current value every strongest color match, that will scale real fast.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,491 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 26 June 2024, 20:05
    Options

@trenchdigger said:
    Only just realised there are 2 different supports both of which are restricted to black panther, Dora Milaje and Ancestral Plane. What were the developers thinking?

The Supports were launched around the time of the first Black Panther movie, is what they were thinking. We used to get tie-in Supports fairly commonly.

Also Black Panther was soooo popular back in that time. Still is but Chadwick’s unfortunate passing cut that back a bit.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,052 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@bluewolf said:

@trenchdigger said:

The Supports were launched around the time of the first Black Panther movie, is what they were thinking. We used to get tie-in Supports fairly commonly.

The part you didn't mention is during that time they were also giving us underwhelming characters that required their specific support to really shine. That's why there were so many 'meh' releases in that time period in 4 and 5 star land.

KGB

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

That is also true. Victorious, stepford cuckoos, Vanessa Fisk, all those synergy perks should have been built in to the character’s design. Probably a bunch more I forgot.

• Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Lucky's rank 3 changed ability is probably going to be very exploitable:

RANK 3

If that's going up by 320% of current value every strongest color match, that will scale real fast.

I wonder if the % sign is a typo and the strike tiles are increased by 320 not 320%