Facebook login - are the devs seriously removing the ONLY cross platform account option?

Options
2»

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@S0kun said:
    Please disregard the notice. It was not supposed to go out with R295 and we we suggest you log back into Facebook until we republish our blog that will outline the steps needed to seamlessly migrate your accounts.

Will it address players who stopped playing but could return at a later point? I use FB and I'm taking a break. Fortunately a fellow player texted me about this. When I tried switching from FB to Google, the game started again at Level 1. This is scary stuff

• S0kun
    S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@S0kun said:
    Please disregard the notice. It was not supposed to go out with R295 and we we suggest you log back into Facebook until we republish our blog that will outline the steps needed to seamlessly migrate your accounts.

Will it address players who stopped playing but could return at a later point? I use FB and I'm taking a break. Fortunately a fellow player texted me about this. When I tried switching from FB to Google, the game started again at Level 1. This is scary stuff

I'll check with the team, but luckily in MPQ, your account is always backed up so there's very little chance that your account will be gone for good.

• Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@S0kun said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@S0kun said:

I'll check with the team, but luckily in MPQ, your account is always backed up so there's very little chance that your account will be gone for good.

That’s actually the question I have, since accounts were also always backed in MPQ servers, why didn’t the game ever get its own account system instead of relying on 3rd party solutions?

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,349 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Chrynos1989 said:

@S0kun said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@S0kun said:

That’s actually the question I have, since accounts were also always backed in MPQ servers, why didn’t the game ever get its own account system instead of relying on 3rd party solutions?

I thought about this for a bit and remembered that every month, there are probably hundreds of thousands of people who download this game (along with maybe several others) to try it out, but aren't sure about keeping going etc.

If the barrier to entry/getting going with a saved game was always "Make a gamer name and password, you should make a new one because y'know, sometimes people steal data from companies".....I think you know as well as I do that you are at least somewhat likely to say "nah, I'll keep playing the games I already play or do this later, maybe, this seems like a hassle".

The more barriers to entry you put into the formation of a new habit, the more chances you give a potential new customer to decide it's not worth it, or they have better things to do, etc.

Using a nearly-ubiquitous system that just works (new players would presumably have no problem with the Google Play option if they start with it) means most people downloading it can just use their existing passwords without needing to create a new one and get going immediately.

Also the devs would need to make sure they are being very secure with their username and password storage and/or be telling people when/if the systems are hacked (creating another jump-off point for a video game when/if you have to go change a bunch of passwords because you re-used the one you use commonly even though you shouldn't and you say 'eh, it wasn't that great of a game'). I assume the game doesn't store any of your login data for FB or GP or Apple and hence they have no risk on their end around this issue.

Risk/reward. If the devs had a stable of games they could try to sell you and try to get you engaged with, maybe a proprietary login across many games would be worth the investment of time and resources to create their own with all the related issues. As it is the game is - at best - chugging along with a shrunken but stable user base, and that investment makes no sense at this point as there is little real upside but a lot of cost.

• NMANOZ1
    NMANOZ1 Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Chrynos1989 said:

@S0kun said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@S0kun said:

They should add this as a VIP perk.