Facebook login - are the devs seriously removing the ONLY cross platform account option?

Options
firethorne
firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards

So, I play on both an iPad and an android phone. And today, I was greeted by a rather unpleasant popup saying the Facebook login, the only way of that I know to sync progress between these, is being turned off by the devs!

So, am I screwed? And if so, can I get a refund from some recent purchases? This is very bad.

Comments

• Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options

You can switch to a Google account backup instead. It took me a bit of work since I had a temp version already saved, and reinstalling the game still prompts you for the Facebook linkage.

• firethorne
    Options

@Godzillafan67 said:
    You can switch to a Google account backup instead. It took me a bit of work since I had a temp version already saved, and reinstalling the game still prompts you for the Facebook linkage.

How do I log into a Google account on an iPad? There's an option for Google on Android, but there's only an option for Apple id on iPad.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options

So my problem is that it doesn't seem to be a clear easy way to move the facebook save to a google save.

I just had a heart attack because i thought my 9 years were gone.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,967 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Hopefully they'll give everyone some specific directions for what to do. Failing that, Customer Service should be able to help you, if they're not too busy with cover swap and retro shard requests.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,346 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@firethorne said:

@Godzillafan67 said:

How do I log into a Google account on an iPad? There's an option for Google on Android, but there's only an option for Apple id on iPad.

There is a plan in place to add the ability to use Google on iOS but its still in progress, according to the devs.

• BlixTheFrog
    BlixTheFrog Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options

Tried to switch to Google but I went back to lv1... what am I doing wrong ?

• bluewolf
    edited 30 January 2024, 11:08
    Options

@BlixTheFrog said:

Yeah.....this is why the devs put up a forum post and removed it a few weeks ago. Because switching to Google often/usually goes bad and sometimes requires contacting CS.

The process does not work at this time and it seems to me that the deadline will be been pushed back.

Why they forgot to removed the in game news popup is a question. But they put up an forum announcement about migration weeks ago, people started trying to switch, and then they pulled it down within approx 2 hours once it was obvious it was unreliable.

• firethorne
    Options

@bluewolf said:
    There is a plan in place to add the ability to use Google on iOS but its still in progress, according to the devs.

Well, maybe they should actually implement that fix before implementing popups that forces open the settings prompt to change every time I start the program.

Maybe they should at least make it clear on said popups that other options are coming.

And, since said popup doesn't have any such promise that they'll get it put in, I don't exactly have full confidence that this alternative is still happening.

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options

Mine says backup failed, please try again later.

No real instructolions on how to do this.

• bluewolf
    Options

@firethorne said:

@bluewolf said:

Well, maybe they should actually implement that fix before implementing popups that forces open the settings prompt to change every time I start the program.

Maybe they should at least make it clear on said popups that other options are coming.

And, since said popup doesn't have any such promise that they'll get it put in, I don't exactly have full confidence that this alternative is still happening.

They completely messed up the communication here. Obviously.

Will they be able to add Google to iOS to allow cross play? I believe other games use Google already so that shouldn't be any sort of barrier, in theory. Apparently many games have transitioned away from FaceBook over recent years.

That said, they are still working on a 10 year old game.

• freakygeek
    freakygeek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options

Going to boost this as this is not as unusual as some think. Both me and my wife play on our Android phones and iPad's when at home. Please make the new solution viable before removing the old one.

I play Marvel Strike Force and not only have they rolled out a new cross platform alternative to Facebook but they have incentives (free in game stuff) to use it instead of FB.

• Dayraven
    Dayraven Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options

Wouldn’t be surprised if this is Facebook login getting more costly/difficult to use behind the scenes, but workable backup options are still important.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@bluewolf said:

@BlixTheFrog said:

Yeah.....this is why the devs put up a forum post and removed it a few weeks ago. Because switching to Google often/usually goes bad and sometimes requires contacting CS.

The process does not work at this time and it seems to me that the deadline will be been pushed back.

Why they forgot to removed the in game news popup is a question. But they put up an forum announcement about migration weeks ago, people started trying to switch, and then they pulled it down within approx 2 hours once it was obvious it was unreliable.

I missed this in its entirety which is a bit worrying. Today is the first I have learned of any of this (not seen any pop ups in game but not been on since early this morning)

• firethorne
    Options

@Dayraven said:
    Wouldn’t be surprised if this is Facebook login getting more costly/difficult to use behind the scenes, but workable backup options are still important.

Yeah. I don't really care what the replacement is. I'm happy to ditch Facebook if there's another option that will work on all of my devices. But, prompting people to change when a that doesn't exist and even the platform specific options are barely working correctly is a very bad customer service move. I sympathize with whoever has to go though the support ticket queue.

• spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options

The devs need to add an independent backup option.

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options

I have IOS and the additional save option is to switch to Apple.

My full roster seems to be there...

I haven't tried to login with Google but...
    I only have an iPhone because my wife was insistent that it was better. Having tried it...I disagree.

I prefer Android and planned on going back to Android when the time comes to get a new phone.

I guess the upside (for me) is the issue should hopefully be fixed before that time comes.

I don't really have anything to add here but I'm commenting so I can see when there are new comments in the thread.

• S0kun
    S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Please disregard the notice. It was not supposed to go out with R295 and we we suggest you log back into Facebook until we republish our blog that will outline the steps needed to seamlessly migrate your accounts.

• Kusik73
    Kusik73 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options

I'm concerned about the ability to play across platform. In my case it's Android and Kindle Fire, but I know otherwise cross platform other ways. I'm not dead set on Facebook, though there are some nice groups set up around Facebook dedicated to MPQ, but we really need so way to reasonably play across platform please.

• JoeyCool
    JoeyCool Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options

@S0kun said:
    Please disregard the notice. It was not supposed to go out with R295 and we we suggest you log back into Facebook until we republish our blog that will outline the steps needed to seamlessly migrate your accounts.

There are multiple threads about this hickup. Please put their minds at ease. Make the alternative work without a hitch before posting stuff about removing the only thing that actually works as a backup for many.

• firethorne
    Options

@S0kun said:

That still doesn't fully answer the question though. I get that the process of migration to Apple or Google is a mess. That's fine. But, even if seamless, will there continue to be a cross platform account option, or will I be locking my account to only Android or only Apple devices?