Webcore Q&A Sessions - January & February 2024 (ANSWERS POSTED 03/15/24)

Options
Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,284 Chairperson of the Boards
edited 16 March 2024, 01:01 in MtGPQ General Discussion

MtG:PQ Q&A Sessions - January & February 2024

Hey, everyone!

January and February rounds of Q&A are ready. Some of the questions have already been answered by announcements and events that came out since they were asked. Sorry for the delay, but we’re glad we’ve been able to address it in the meantime. 🙂

Let’s get into it!

Lu

Events and Schedule

1. Can you comment on your philosophy when it comes to the free daily events, like RP? What role should these events have in the overall plan of the game, and what goals should they pursue?

Answer: We expect those daily events to serve as a place where players can engage in daily activities, acquire resources to increase their collection, all while providing a more lighthearted form of entertainment compared to coalition events.

2. Are we ever going to see the "Colors of Magic" event run again? It seems like it's been far too long since the last time

Answer: All previously existing issues with this event have been fixed, and the event is scheduled to return on March 21st.

Bugs and Improvement Requests

1. Would you consider adding an option allowing coalition leaders to transfer a player to another coalition with an opening? For the coalitions that coordinate with each other it would make it much simpler to move players. A transfer option and then pop up something like the existing coalition search to choose the destination to transfer them to.

Answer: While we are working on some quality of life improvements for coalitions, we haven’t discussed any just like it and don’t have plans for it. Thanks for sharing the idea!

2. Is there a reason for Trials of the Planes not showing up on the revolving ribbon on the home page in the app? Not even when it's started? The only way to access it is through the events tab.

Answer: That is indeed an interesting question. There is no specific reason on why this specific event is absent from the Activity Hub carousel. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, we’ll be giving a closer look at the items displayed in the activity hub in the future.

3. Can we get an option to turn on event supports and objective tracking in Training Grounds for upcoming coalition/other events?

Answer: We have answered a similar question in November’s Q&A. At the moment, while we are looking into new experimental ways of gameplay, bringing such functionality is not on our current plans.

4. Would it be possible to expand the challenge option VS another real pvp player, against members who are not in the same coalition? If, for example, a friend has just started playing and starts in a different coalition, having to move to another coalition just to play a few games is very cumbersome. It would also be interesting if there was the option to create a temporary deck like in the events to play those games, so that you wouldn't have to modify a deck created to play something more casual and fun and then have to change it again to leave it as it was.

Answer: Today's synchronous PvP is still in its early stages, and to achieve our envisioned goals, several steps need to be taken first. We ask for your patience on this matter, as our objective is to introduce more flexible and engaging ways to battle in synchronous PvP.

5. The Planeswalker select menu keeps getting longer and longer and longer with each set, is there any chance we could get something to make it more convenient? Maybe, reorder the PWs, or choose to deactivate PWs we don't use?

Answer: Yes, there’s definitely a chance! This and other similar improvements will be covered in the upcoming revision of the game’s UI.

6. Will we get the rest of the MoM PW? I miss Archangel Elspeth :)

Answer: We’ll eventually work through the list of planeswalkers that haven’t made their debut in our game. But who know? Maybe Elspeth's path after assisting the Mirrans in Zhalfir will lead her to pass by Magic: Puzzle Quest sooner rather than later. There is always hope!

Products

1. Can we get some clarity on the schedule for new Planeswalkers entering the vault? We are a month into a new card set and both Ashiok and Wrenn & Realmbreaker have yet to ever enter the vault. And today Quintorius entered the vault before he was taken out just hours later. Can you offer some explanation and perhaps set a schedule for people who have been patiently waiting to pick up new Planeswalkers for crystals?

Answer: Absolutely, this is something we can now share with the community. Starting with 6.5.2, and subsequently with every planeswalker released, new planeswalkers will be sold by Mana Crystals the next equivalent patch for the following set.
    For example, Karn, the Great Creator, Lord Wingrace, and Jace, the Perfected Mind were introduced to the game in version 6.4.1, the first content patch for that version. They will be available in the store by Mana Crystals for the first time with the release of 6.5.2 , the first content patch for MKM.
    We’ll make the planeswalkers available in the same order as they were initially offered.

2. After 47 tries and over 6000 mana jewels spent I finally got the rare Teferi Vanguard. Now on my Alternate account I got on my Third try. I know it’s a game of chance but 47 tries is a bit ridiculous. You guys changed the spellbook from one pack non-guaranteed and guaranteed to only one pack guaranteed at a different price. Why can’t you do the same for vanguards. Make it like 300 mana jewels.

Answer: While it doesn’t contain only vanguards, the LCI Epic Pack does fit the role you described as a tool to best tackle down your chase cards. While we do not have all other sets available at the moment, it is definitely possible that Epic packs from other sets in the future.

3. A great suggestion was made that the guaranteed rare in premium packs should be a non-duplicate. This would incentivize players to keep sinking finite resource into a guaranteed new card, which veterans recognize as the best way to spend resources. I feel like it's a win-win for the company and the players. What do you think?

Answer: While we are in the process of revising our product lineup, with some a new addition to it being made that fill a similar role, in the form of LCI Epic Packs, we haven’t considered tackling this specific suggestion. We’ll keep this option in mind in our future internal discussions on the topic, thanks!

4. You haven't had a deckslot sale in ages. Can we have one of those please?

Answer: We have not forgotten about deck slot sales, so stay tuned for upcoming news on this topic.

5. Rare vanguards can not be -guaranteed- to be collected, even by whales, as you could theoretically pay $1000 and never get the “rare” vanguard you need, even though you have all the mythica through the “non-dup” packs…
    So the rare are really rarer than the myth is which is false advertising in my country!
    What is the plan to allow, in the long term, f2p players to “potentially” collect everything, given you can’t even guarantee it with money currently?
    (Oh, they also can’t be crafted, even when they pass to legacy, which adds to the problem.
    I’m level 52 vip, so it’s not sour grapes or me not spending, it’s more a broken promise about f2p and collecting being viable for everyone)

Answer: We understand that packs have a chance related to each rarity, but it is still a chance. Packs that contain the non-duplicate “mechanic” have historically been a powerful auxiliary tool for players to find those last few chase cards from a given set, but never were placed as the heavy duty tools to build a collection. Does this mean that there will never be more tools to assist players to acquire their chase cards? Not really! We recently have released the LCI Epic Pack, with that specific function of being a powerful tool to chase down that target card. But it does not mean that this type of tool will become the norm. The RNG component is a core feature of all incarnations of Magic.

Gameplay and Formats

1. I know that some people have already asked about having new formats to have more variety in the game (especially in platinum where all the decks are very broken and only 4 or 5 different decks are played). But what I want to contribute here is some suggestion about these kind of formats. To begin with, it would be great to be able to play with cards that cannot be played in standard because they do not reach the level of power currently required (which is very high with very OP cards), there are many cards that seem fun to play but could only be played in standard. efficiently if you were at silver or even gold rank, then platinum players are denied that possibility. Second, it would be a fun way to master cards, I don't think anyone would enjoy using a powerful deck and changing some of the cards that you don't have mastered in order to master them. And thirdly, simply because playing the same cards (and vs same decks each) every time ends up tiring and that is what burns out many players.
    So it would be great to have a permanent event, similar to training grounds, where you can play a game with those not-so-OP cards against a random AI deck, with power similar to the one you are going to play. Currently there is an option for the deck to be self-constructed randomly (I've noticed and it always adds one MP, 2 mythicals, 3 rares, and the rest uncommons). A permanent event could be made where you can choose the number of creatures/spells/supports and the number of mythical/MP, rare and uncommon/common, and have them generated randomly (Quick random match) and another option by choosing you the cards, and the AI generates its random deck with a rarity similar to those you chose) and an option where you can choose to only add unmastered cards (on random generating deck), so we would have a fun way to master the cards and at the same time a place where being able to play some more random games and escape a bit from the typical repetitive standard games. This would give a fresher touch to the game and we would always have a place to play a quick random game in some free time just for fun, it doesn't even need to have rewards.
    Likewise, it would also be perfect if this were added to real pvp games against friends, which should be possible even without being within the same coalition.
    Sorry for the very long text but I wanted to explain it fine.

Answer: We mentioned previously in other Q&As that we are interested in bringing new and experimental game modes to the game, that will give players new ways to play the game and test their strategies, and have fun with their friends and rivals. Our goal is to ultimately have enough diversity offered that everyone can find a game mode to entertain themselves in Magic: Puzzle Quest.

2. Hi, I've been playing since 2016 and have a complete Legacy collection. My coalition is a good mix of veterans and new players. To help those newer players out I would love to give them my packs from the older sets that I already completed; nothing feels better than getting new cards. Will some feature like this ever be available?

Answer: This idea, while motivated out of good intention, presents several technical challenges, problems and potential risks. Due to this, we do not have any current plans of adding such a feature to the game.

3. There are a couple of cards in Standard which have (or can easily self-gain) vigilance and prevent damage at the same time. Because vigilance seems to only check if the creature will die during the block to prevent it from blocking, a creature with both vigilance and prevent damage becomes an insurmountable wall for any deck that can't remove the creature or one of the traits. This feels bad, given that I don't think any card remove vigilance specifically, and few remove prevent damage (especially in Standard).
    Please adjust these interactions to allow more options for counter-play. I suggest that a creature with vigilance checks it's current toughness against the attacker's current power to decide whether it blocks, which would allow for one to push past with larger creatures, just like we can if they don't have prevent damage.

There may be other options, but of all of the horror I feel when seeing an opposing creature with prevent damage, it becomes despair when vigilance is added in. I think it creates a negative play experience that could become an engaging challenge with a little adjustment.

Answer: Ah yes, who can forget their first (or tenth) match with a Phyrexian Vindicator menacingly staring across the other side of the board? While this combination is very powerful, exploring new cards and mechanics that allow you to adapt and overcome challenges is a part of deckbuilding natural player progression. In this spirit of discovering new ways to deal with such walls, we would like to suggest you try and use effects that give Trample, or evasion abilities. ;)

4. The shuffler is not fine, please continue to review.

Answer: The shuffler randomization is working as intended, and most common interactions that can lead to scenarios that could resemble incorrect behavior seem to be linked to common effects played in more linear decks (that can repeatedly search for specific types of cards) and to the deck refilling system. At this point in time, there is nothing that indicates abnormal or unintended behavior with the shuffling system. #shufflingintensifies

5. When standard was introduced it was going to rotate every 4 sets like paper magic and we were expecting this the last set but it didn’t happen.
    The biggest disappointment was that older Exclusive cards and Vanguards were meant to migrate to legacy and become craftable and have not.
    What is the ongoing plan for Standard going to be?

Answer: The standard format will follow the same rotation pattern as tabletop Magic, with the difference that Magic: Puzzle Quest has some permanent standard sets. This was previously announced last year.

6. Currently supports and improved gems cannot coexist and while there may be complications on the interface and behind the scenes it should technically be possible for a gem to have both these things as well as its colour.
    It should also be possible to -change- the colours of these gems with convert cards, leaving the Enchancement or Support, just c hanging the colour similar to how matching invulnerable gems works.
    If needed it could be “harder” than normal conversion or a lower priority (so all free gems change first), but it would free up some of the implementation complications that have come from conversion not working anymore with so many special gems, and give green a lot of its flavour back.
    Have things like this been considered?

Answer: Thanks for taking the time to compose this feedback, however this interaction is following the intended design for activated gem and there are no current plans to change it.

Community

1. Wouldn’t it be neat if there were some sort or Players’ Council type of thing? A way for the devs to interact with members of the community and get proper feedback about the players’ experiences in the game. It would be really weird if the devs got all of their ideas about players from one, very biased, person.

Answer: There are no current plans for hosting a structure such as this, however rest assured that no decision or planning direction is taken by one single person or based on one single person’s views. Feedback from the community is collected through different channels and we take into consideration as much information as we have available. That’s why the Forum discussions are so important: when many experiences and points of views are shared, we can better understand how a topic affects your experiences in different ways.

2. This game needs an official Discord server! Are there any plans for Webcore to create one? There is already a robust community spread across the numerous coalition-led servers, but I think an officially sanctioned Discord server would be a great vehicle to communicate with the player base, similar to the way the forum works now.

Answer: We agree that having an official Discord server server is a great idea, and the necessary steps to bring it to reality are currently under analysis. Stay tuned for more updates.

3. Hello! I was hoping you could provide some insight on a few things.

Would Webcore consider promoting all the big alliance discords, also discords like GOZ, NATH and other MTG:PQ servers that are popular? You could do this in the 'Inbox' section like you do when promoting GOZ/Main/Nath.
    When I first started, this game was a bit much and if not for me Youtubing videos and finding the discords through those Youtube videos (Shoutout to GOZ), I may have never stayed playing this game. MTG:PQ has one of the greatest and most helpful communities I have ever come across in gaming. It would be nice if that was made open/visible to all players in the game. Especially since there isn't a form of global communication.
    Thank you for your time and look forward to a response ^.^

Answer: Those are some true facts, joining a discord server is a great way to be more involved with the amazing community we have. We have a thread in our Forum dedicated to share all of these initiatives.
    We’ll promote it inbox every now and then so more people find out about it but we also need the admins of these Discord servers and other community media to share it in the thread so we can feature it in the main post. Deal?

Other Themes

1. To incentivise players from playing with a wider variety of cards and also to incentivise them to get as much cards as possible to master, would you consider upgrading the rewards players receive at leveling? Currently levels offer no significant benefit on their own, other than potential bragging rights and the x10th level non-dupe packs.

Answer: As mentioned in previous months, player progression and Mastery levels are part of a larger section of player experience that will be receiving a revamp in the future.

2. One of the best things about this game, and MTG as a whole has always been the art, currently though there is no credit given/ way to find out the artist of any particular card without looking it up, whereas in paper, it's on the front of the card, I realize it would be a lot of work, but could we get the artworks credit given, maybe on the art full view screen or something?

Answer: Thanks for the suggestion. We agree that art is one of the most amazing aspects of all incarnations of Magic, and that these talented individuals should receive their due credit. However, there are over 8000 cards with art in the game, and implementing this will take time and resources from other other actions that have a higher priority in our planning. We’ll keep this noted, and insert this change in our development plans at a possible moment in the future.

Comments

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Options

You haven't had a deckslot sale in ages. Can we have one of those please?

Question also submitted via webform

• Janosik
    Options

The Planeswalker select menu keeps getting longer and longer and longer with each set, is there any chance we could get something to make it more convenient? Maybe, reorder the PWs, or choose to deactivate PWs we don't use?

Question also submitted via webform

• Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    edited 31 January 2024, 19:04
    Options

A filter for PWs already exists in the Planeswalkers tab, so I don't see why it would be that difficult to replicate it for PW selection in events.
    Basic filter by color and sorting by reverse alphabetical order would already be great. For example, Wrenn&8 is hot right now and is so close to the end of the list. And the alphabet is partially a reason why PMA Ajani and Dakkon are so loved.

Still, the color filter should be updated. A "match any" or "match all" toggle would be great.
    If color White is chosen, with "match all" is would only show mono-White. With "match any" - all PWs with access to White (Azorius, Orzhov, Selesnya, etc.).
    If two colors are chosen, for example, White and Blue, with "match all" it would only show Azorius-colored PWs (Teferis, Dovins, etc.). With "match any" - all PWs with access to either White or Blue.

• Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options

Oh, the post is out-of-date already, my bad.

• Janosik
    edited 31 January 2024, 23:21
    Options

@Asylamb said:
    A filter for PWs already exists in the Planeswalkers tab, so I don't see why it would be that difficult to replicate it for PW selection in events.
    Basic filter by color and sorting by reverse alphabetical order would already be great. For example, Wrenn&8 is hot right now and is so close to the end of the list. And the alphabet is partially a reason why PMA Ajani and Dakkon are so loved.

Still, the color filter should be updated. A "match any" or "match all" toggle would be great.
    If color White is chosen, with "match all" is would only show mono-White. With "match any" - all PWs with access to White (Azorius, Orzhov, Selesnya, etc.).
    If two colors are chosen, for example, White and Blue, with "match all" it would only show Azorius-colored PWs (Teferis, Dovins, etc.). With "match any" - all PWs with access to either White or Blue.

I wouldn't want a filter that takes about as much fiddling around with every time you want to select a PW as it would take to scroll to the end of the PW menu, though. I'd prefer a little more thought applied to the feature than just porting that filter over to the in-game PW selection.

What I'd ideally like is the ability to move PWs to positions in the list (My favorites like Ral, or Karn, or NB3 would be at the beginning of the list, and then at the end of the list would be all the PWs I never use, like most of the Ajanis, and Arlinns, and Chandras, and Dovins, and Elspeths, and Gideons, and Jaces.... etc... etc.... etc...). And obviously I wouldn't want to reorder the list every time I select a PW, I'd like the game to remember my reordered list by default.

I accept the fact that a user interface for even a simple sounding system like this would take a little time to implement. I've laid it all out here in detail, though, because what I'd hate more than anything would be an Oktagon-style fix where they spend a lot of time and effort changing the current interface to a new one which isn't any more convenient than the old one.