Change my mind

Options
Glockoma
Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor

Lightning rounds should be changed to a few collections of Special PvP events (Evergreen, Combined Arms, etc.)

Comments

• trewiltrewil
    trewiltrewil Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options

Ok, can someone explain to me what the point of lightning rounds even is. If seems like the rewards are not worth it, yes I get you can grind, but the grind is for so few iso it is hard to see it worth the time....

I feel like I am missing something but I just don't understand.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,163 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

1* and 2* cover drops for your ascended characters.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@trewiltrewil said:
    Ok, can someone explain to me what the point of lightning rounds even is. If seems like the rewards are not worth it, yes I get you can grind, but the grind is for so few iso it is hard to see it worth the time....

Break MMR, farm ISO and covers for 75 minutes.

• kuntilanak
    kuntilanak Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options

I just go for 1- hit- wonder... hit a node with > 50 points and leave the team out there... main thing is collect the standard token for those measly covers...

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,345 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 10 January 2024, 11:16
    Options

So, you want a 1.5 hour pvp to run every 2 hours 24/7? Same rewards? I mean I guess but mostly they’d be letting the same players that do it now to get more Heroc tokens. Making the events more varied would help a bit but a lot of people would throw up their hands if they had to craft actual teams around restrictions for 1 1/2 hr pvps.

Making pvp more varied seems like a good goal however. I suspect they got less engagement when they ran the different ones because a lot of players have small functional teams in the upper tiers and couldn’t really engage when certain key characters got locked out.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,187 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If they ran Sakaar again they could get some metrics on that.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,507 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 10 January 2024, 17:19
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@trewiltrewil said:

Lightning rounds are a relic from the very, very early days of the game.

Back then, 3* were the top of the metagame, and they were really hard to get. Lightning rounds only featured the 3* villains, and those guys were generally the best in the game. Taking first place in a lightning round got you one of the featured guy's covers.

It's hard to overstate just how important this was to roster building. It was a shortcut to covering one of the best guys in the game, at a time when this was incredibly difficult. At that time, PvP or PvE placement was super difficult (no timeslices) and there was no other reliable way to earn 3*, so winning LR was how you advanced the fastest in the game -- and it was actually possible.

Once the game moved on from 3* and the LR rewards "improved," the placement aspect of them disappeared. Nobody cares about those rewards at all now.

I wonder if they could make that aspect matter again, by making the 1st place reward matter. Maybe a 5* support?

I don't remember when they awarded actual 3* covers, just when they awarded "Lighting Round" Tokens, but I was going to say this more or less - it is a relic of the early days.

If you can reliably get the seeds (make sure you're in the game when the event starts should do it,) it's a great way to get Iso/1/2 covers, and with ascension the covers are useful and fun.

Regardless, I'd love to see an update of the format, it would definitely make it more interesting.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,966 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@GrimSkald said:

@entrailbucket said:

@trewiltrewil said:

Back then, 3* were the top of the metagame, and they were really hard to get. Lightning rounds only featured the 3* villains, and those guys were generally the best in the game. Taking first place in a lightning round got you one of the featured guy's covers.

It's hard to overstate just how important this was to roster building. It was a shortcut to covering one of the best guys in the game, at a time when this was incredibly difficult. At that time, PvP or PvE placement was super difficult (no timeslices) and there was no other reliable way to earn 3*, so winning LR was how you advanced the fastest in the game -- and it was actually possible.

Once the game moved on from 3* and the LR rewards "improved," the placement aspect of them disappeared. Nobody cares about those rewards at all now.

I wonder if they could make that aspect matter again, by making the 1st place reward matter. Maybe a 5* support?

I don't remember when they awarded actual 3* covers, just when they awarded "Lighting Round" Tokens, but I was going to say this more or less - it is a relic of the early days.

If you can reliably get the seeds (make sure you're in the game when the event starts should do it,) it's a great way to get Iso/1/2 covers, and with ascension the covers are useful and fun.

Regardless, I'd love to see an update of the format, it would definitely make it more interesting.

Forgot to say -- the reason I suggested a support as the reward, in case that seemed odd.

In those days we didn't have champions, so once a character got to 13 covers they were done. You could recruit and build a duplicate but nobody did that. So, for example, once I had a 13 cover Magneto, I had no reason to try to win any more Magneto lightning rounds. This meant that over time, fewer and fewer players were trying to win, so placement got a little easier.

If they changed them to give out 5* covers today, the competition would be crazy forever, because it takes so many covers to 550 somebody. If they gave out supports, then once you had a 5* Talon Fighter, you'd have no reason to push hard to win those lightning rounds.

• hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Glockoma said:
    Lightning rounds should be changed to a few collections of Special PvP events (Evergreen, Combined Arms, etc.)

"LR should be changed"- I can't change your mind on that, as I believe the prevailing player sentiment agrees with that part of your statement. LR should be changed, but to what?

"to a few collections of Special PvP events"-Ascension has effectively made Combined Arms completely obsolete. Evergreen I could see, but in a LR running for 75 minutes every 2 hours? That's going to be a serious health pack drain.

As it stands now, there is enough parity that if my A-team goes down, I can switch to other teams to reliably get wins. If you're limiting who can be on my A, B, C, etc teams, you're cutting down my incentive to continue playing. There are events where you're limited to who you can use, but those aren't running every 2 hours 24 hours a day for 3 days straight. Multiple pvp matches in a short time with limited rosters will drain health packs very quickly for little reward.

@meadowsweet said:
    I would prefer that the Lightning Rounds randomly cycle through all 321 characters in the game (at all tiers) and boost the required character. Periodically force players to revisit every single character, build strategies around them, and reward completionists who have rostered and champed everybody. The same 10 required 3★ characters have been beyond stale for years (and unless you've recently Ascended them to 5★ has meant that you've just been ignoring them and probably just been playing with the same team of 2 depending on the current meta: Chasm, Thor, Omega Red, Scarlet Witch, Colossus, Okoye, Immortal Hulk, etc.)

This is a much better suggestion for what LRs should be changed into. Run it with a loaner if you don't have the character, just like regular pvp, or use your own. And randomly rotate through all of the characters in the game so that maybe you can pull some of those characters off of the bench rather than the same 10 characters every time. This might actually make people think about how to use the required character, rather than just ignoring them outright. Is the required character ascended? Might make a difference more so than it does already.

• trewiltrewil
    trewiltrewil Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@trewiltrewil said:

Ahh yes I remember those days, when the hunt came out and it was super important to get that hulk cover because he played fast with his black.... Makes some sense.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 721 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Godzillafan67 said:
    Lightning rounds should run 24/7 and should rotate Special PvP events (Evergreen, Combined Arms, etc.) at regular intervals.

Idk about 24/7 and I'm a huge player/supporter of the lighting rounds. I've always thought they should run them more as well. I'd love to see them run weekends, like midnight Friday until midnight Sunday. I like the special pvps idea too, the LRs certainly need more variety.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

Why not 24/7?

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 721 Critical Contributor
    Options

If it's always there, you have nothing to look forward to.

• Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 517 Critical Contributor
    Options

The level to which I "look forward to" lightning rounds is somewhere between looking forward to Christmas vs a colonoscopy. Continuously running LRs would allow players to play on their own time, give something for players to engage in between other events, and open the spout on rewards.

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    edited 13 January 2024, 18:46
    Options

Since we're just spit-balling ideas that'll never happen, here's mine...

A new lightning round begins every 2 hours, 24/7. They rotate randomly through all 321 characters in the game. You can always see who the next five will be. But when you enter one, it locks you out of the next four (eight hour cooldown between rounds.) So there's periodically an interesting diversion for you, you can enter about the same number per week as you can now, they're not mostly during the Tuesday & Wednesday workday or while you should be sleeping, and it hedges a little bit to protect the OCD maximizers from driving themselves (and their loved ones) insane.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,966 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@meadowsweet said:
    Since we're just spit-balling ideas that'll never happen, here's mine...

A new lightning round begins every 2 hours, 24/7. They rotate randomly through all 321 characters in the game. You can always see who the next five will be. But when you enter one, it locks you out of the next four (eight hour cooldown between rounds.) So there's periodically an interesting diversion for you, you can enter about the same number per week as you can now, they're not mostly during the Tuesday & Wednesday workday or while you're sleeping, and it hedges a little bit to protect the OCD maximizers from driving themselves (and their loved ones) insane.

Make the placement rewards matter again and you've got a deal! This would be a lot of fun.