No more kang

Options
ThisisClemFandango
ThisisClemFandango Posts: 664 Critical Contributor

Jonathan majors has been found guilty and faces 1 year in prison, marvel are gonna have to drop him, but seeing as he had it written into his contract that only he, could play any variant, where does that leave the mcu?
Apart from these 2 phases being atrocious of course.
Also from the patch notes I'd say the sorcerer won't be getting any more supreme this side of the year.

Comments

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I've heard rumors that marvel is already planning to dump Kang as the next big bad and start building up Doctor Doom.

• ThisisClemFandango
    Options

Avengers: The Kang Dynasty is going to be an interesting film.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

In hindsight, they really handcuffed themselves with the council credits scene showing all the Kangs. Would've been easier to swallow a re-cast if we didn't already see a million that look like Majors.

They could still re-cast. I'm just saying it'd be more jarring now.

• Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:
    I've heard rumors that marvel is already planning to dump Kang as the next big bad and start building up Doctor Doom.

That rumour has been doing the rounds for months now and it would make sense if Doom will finally be set up in the MCU. But I suspect they'll go ahead with the Kang movies first.
    "but, but, but we've seen all the Kangs in that credit scene?!"
    So what? Is anybody able to zoom in on everyone of those guys to verify they all look like Majors?
    No, so we can have a variant who looks like Denzel Washington or Jodie Foster for all I care.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Alfje17 said:

@BriMan2222 said:

That rumour has been doing the rounds for months now and it would make sense if Doom will finally be set up in the MCU. But I suspect they'll go ahead with the Kang movies first.
    "but, but, but we've seen all the Kangs in that credit scene?!"
    So what? Is anybody able to zoom in on everyone of those guys to verify they all look like Majors?
    No, so we can have a variant who looks like Denzel Washington or Jodie Foster for all I care.

They don't have to zoom in. The scene itself focused on specific Kangs that were all played by Majors. They can re-cast, but let's not pretend like people won't notice. Everyone is going to notice.

• ThisisClemFandango
    Options

They recast rhodey and Reed richards so it's not unheard of, it's going to be weird tho. Hopefully they can get the loki writers because the films have been total bobbins since NWH.

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2023
    Options

I mean, did anyone start boycotting Marvel films when they replaced:

• Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle as War Machine (dispute over pay)
    • Edward Norton with Mark Ruffalo as the Incredible Hulk (creative differences)
    • William Hurt with Harrison Ford as Thunderbolt Ross (death)

Now, Marvel could just completely pivot and drop the Kang storyline altogether (that may be the smart corporate move.) But I'm not sure people are going to be rushing to support a man convicted of assaulting his girlfriend... if they announce a new actor will be playing Kang, I don't see why anyone would object?

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Have the fantastic 4 movie start with the council of kangs getting obliterated by Dr. Doom.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 721 Critical Contributor
    Options

Speaking of F4, Chris Evans played Human Torch in two movies before being cast as Cap. I don't recall a lot of uproar about that. Granted, not the same situation, but another casting oddity nonetheless.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,966 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think shortly after the conviction today, Disney announced (or, like, semi-officially leaked) that Majors would be removed. No word yet on what that means for Kang -- the character could be recast pretty easily.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    I think shortly after the conviction today, Disney announced (or, like, semi-officially leaked) that Majors would be removed. No word yet on what that means for Kang -- the character could be recast pretty easily.

I hope they ditch him (Kang) truth be told. It was already starting to look like a very convoluted storyline and I think the MCU works best when things are nice and simple. This seems like an ideal time for a re-set to try and get things back on track to where Marvel obviously believe they should be. Whether that is Doom or somebody else so be it.

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    Options

There could be a post credits scene where an attempt to stop him being born is made by preventing his parents from meeting. It would just result in him having a different mother/father and a different appearance.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Ptahhotep said:
    There could be a post credits scene where an attempt to stop him being born is made by preventing his parents from meeting. It would just result in him having a different mother/father and a different appearance.

I could be wrong but I don't think this is how Marvel time stuff works? That is why they couldn't just go back in time in Endgame and stop Thanos doing the snap. It is another reason why I would be in favour of Kang being dropped - whenever time travel is brought into these things with variants and other whatnot it always gets to the point of confused plotlines and inconsistent storytelling. The MCU should take heed of the actual comic book Kang who has been a confusing mess for decades despite all the various attempts to straighten him out.

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options

Disney/Marvel has been a confusing mess despite all the various attempts to straighten out.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@ThisisClemFandango said:
    Avengers: The Kang Dynasty is going to be an interesting film.

If I was Marvel I would switch things up - I would make Avengers 5 Secret Wars which could be loosely based on the original and would be the perfect way to bring together everyone including the FF and X-Men as the different realities are all assembled into one. At the end have Doom be granted the ultimate power (doesn't have to be the Beyonder but could be) and that leads into Secret Wars 2 where we get things resolved and now everybody has a shared universe status.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Glockoma said:
    Disney/Marvel has been a confusing mess despite all the various attempts to straighten out.

There are a lot of dangling threads going nowhere it is true. I don't think everything needs to be in continuity but too many films in the last phase seemingly have no likely follow up to them including important characters like Dr. Strange. I guess they could use the Avengers movies to resolve some of this but that just means cramming more and more in which pushes out the main storyline.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,346 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023
    Options

The entirety of MCU is getting creakier and creakier.

In about 4 1/2 years Iron Man will be a 20 year old movie. And there are already 32 MCU films.

I mean surely they don’t expect to keep this going forever?

I think we should be in “enjoy this while it lasts” mode from here on out.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

They absolutely expect this go on forever, just like Star Wars.

• DAZ0273
    edited December 2023
    Options

Nothing lasts forever, although Iron Man may well be coming up to 20 years old, the character himself has only appeared in 8 movies. Spider-Man has racked up 12 movies and still seems pretty popular (although I guess 2 of those he is Miles Morales).

The MCU is following the exact same path that Marvel Comics did, although I am not sure it has been intentional.

It started off with a core number of titles that could be kept in check continuity wise by Kevin Feige, just as early Marvel was under Stan Lee. And just like Marvel Comics, the line became bloated with more and more content which has stretched away from that core concept so that now it is unwieldly. At this point you can add as many Avengers as you like to the team but people have already watched that play out and they will get bored. We need less loose ends and more meaningful content. If something is going to be stand alone that is fine, just don't drop an end credit scene in referencing some future thing that may never ever see the light of day.

It also doesn't help that we don't really have a clear idea of what Kang is even about. With Thanos the premise was pretty clear - he wants the Infinity Stones and the build up to obtaining them allowed an easy interweaving through the films without needing him to be in every one. I couldn't really care less if we see Kang again based on what has gone before and I say that as a 40 year fan of The Avengers (long before they were popular!)

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    They absolutely expect this go on forever, just like Star Wars.

I think there are differences. Star Wars has had an overreaching story line all along and at some point the Skywalker bit of it was going to end. Whether Star Wars fans are excited enough about other new concepts to support another 9 film saga I have no idea. On the other hand there isn't really any reason why Spider-Man can't go on and on being reinvented for each new generation that comes along. As long as people don't tire of him then he is cash in the bank without an expiry date.