2»

Comments

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 583 Critical Contributor

Ascended or not, Medusa is just too slow

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,167 Chairperson of the Boards

@ThaRoadWarrior

We can both play the comparison game all day long between characters.

Kingpin who was rebalanced not long back has a passive that puts down a strike/protect of strength 3K at battle start per ally. That's all he ever gets (and EB says he's a monster when boosted). Medusa/OR do that same damage with their passive but they put theirs down an unlimited amount of times (and in Medusa case hers can split into more damage if you match the CD).

So what's the balance between OR who gets unlimited team damage vs Medusa unlimited single target damage (with possible duplicates via CD match) and Kingpin one time placement? If you make Medusa's a lot more powerful then you are going to make Kingpin (and other characters like him) look that much worse.

Plus we still haven't seen all the ascended characters yet. If Grocket basically scales with the same strike damage vs health as he does at 4 star level then his strikes should come in around 700 each or 4900 for 7. If Medusa did say 9K then paired with Grocket it would be doing 14K a turn or more (if you matched CD). Then add in whatever Polaris ends up being and you could be talking doing 40-50K a turn between Polaris start of turn passive + her passive when matching SAPs + match damage + Medusa CD all with the added bonus of burst heal from Medusa to keep that team alive.

KGB

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@KGB said:
    @ThaRoadWarrior

We can both play the comparison game all day long between characters.

Kingpin who was rebalanced not long back has a passive that puts down a strike/protect of strength 3K at battle start per ally. That's all he ever gets (and EB says he's a monster when boosted). Medusa/OR do that same damage with their passive but they put theirs down an unlimited amount of times (and in Medusa case hers can split into more damage if you match the CD).

So what's the balance between OR who gets unlimited team damage vs Medusa unlimited single target damage (with possible duplicates via CD match) and Kingpin one time placement? If you make Medusa's a lot more powerful then you are going to make Kingpin (and other characters like him) look that much worse.

Plus we still haven't seen all the ascended characters yet. If Grocket basically scales with the same strike damage vs health as he does at 4 star level then his strikes should come in around 700 each or 4900 for 7. If Medusa did say 9K then paired with Grocket it would be doing 14K a turn or more (if you matched CD). Then add in whatever Polaris ends up being and you could be talking doing 40-50K a turn between Polaris start of turn passive + her passive when matching SAPs + match damage + Medusa CD all with the added bonus of burst heal from Medusa to keep that team alive.

KGB

So?
    That's what boosted Okoye does this week with a few team up tiles.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,379 Chairperson of the Boards

I was responding to a question earlier about how she compares as a 5, so I picked a 5 with a similar (but clearly superior) passive damage CD.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,049 Chairperson of the Boards

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Has anyone put their Mr Fantastic over to run with her and either of the Carnages? My dupe is only 2/2/2 so I'll probably get after him once my 4* Cyclops finishes.

IMO don’t bother. Reed’s kit is just too convuluted to be worth ascending. And I have him ascended.

You’ve already got Medusa’s kit of randomness. Reed just makes it worse. His blue hits hard…. Or does it? A chunk of damage for every 4 friendly SAPs. My Reed is at lvl 456 and does 15455 dmg for every 4. It still costs 8 AP. Gotta have 8 SAPs to do a really good nuke. But we’re counting on more randomness to speed it up and power it up. Also Reed’s yellow…… oh, you thought Medusa’s red tile was weak, well Reed’s yellow passive heal is just as weak. Of course, on the 4th match of an enemy tile, you fire a power for free. That’s still great…… but every 4th match. Thematic, yes. Tedious? Yes.

And don’t get me started on his black. Omg, what a joke that is.

Reed had been unheralded with carnage/medusa before Polaris showed up. But only with them and only in 4* land. He’s not worth ascending with his kit. Maybe before his rebalance he could’ve been. Actually now that I think about it, his best teammates are probably still in 4* land (venom, Polaris, moondragon, Mr. Negative)

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Stretch was fun boosted in the boss event, but mainly for his match damage and random stuff for boosted Nico to buff.
    He's really not great.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,072 Chairperson of the Boards

Time I think for a re-naming:

Mr. Just About Adequate
    Mr. Not Quite Up To It
    Mr. Y'know You Could Do Better
    Mr. C+ See Me After Class Please

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,712 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

Mr. Mediocre

Maybe the devs saw the 2015 movie and figured that was the bar for quality for FF characters.

OMG, it’s so terrible because it’s taking itself so seriously. If there’s a superhero movie in hell it might just be that one on a loop.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

5* Carnage and Medusa are both boosted in Fight for Wakanda, and that team is pretty good. My Medusa is lvl474 pre boost, and her CD tile does 8500/turn.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023

@Tiger_Wong said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Has anyone put their Mr Fantastic over to run with her and either of the Carnages? My dupe is only 2/2/2 so I'll probably get after him once my 4* Cyclops finishes.

IMO don’t bother. Reed’s kit is just too convuluted to be worth ascending. And I have him ascended.

You’ve already got Medusa’s kit of randomness. Reed just makes it worse. His blue hits hard…. Or does it? A chunk of damage for every 4 friendly SAPs. My Reed is at lvl 456 and does 15455 dmg for every 4. It still costs 8 AP. Gotta have 8 SAPs to do a really good nuke. But we’re counting on more randomness to speed it up and power it up. Also Reed’s yellow…… oh, you thought Medusa’s red tile was weak, well Reed’s yellow passive heal is just as weak. Of course, on the 4th match of an enemy tile, you fire a power for free. That’s still great…… but every 4th match. Thematic, yes. Tedious? Yes.

Reed had been unheralded with carnage/medusa before Polaris showed up. But only with them and only in 4* land. He’s not worth ascending with his kit. Maybe before his rebalance he could’ve been. Actually now that I think about it, his best teammates are probably still in 4* land (venom, Polaris, moondragon, Mr. Negative)

IIRC, Wasn't medusa/carnage/Reed viable way back in reed's intermediate phase (he launches as trash, then was reworked into a niche player who could stun and do a little board control and heal, and then was baffingly reworked a second time back into trash)?

• vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 245 Tile Toppler

@vinnygecko said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    She isn’t as good as I expected her to be, I feel like her attacks do 4* numbers.

Agree with this. Her match damage is nice but it's not enough for her to shine on her own

Lol I'm eating my words. With her boosted this week she is crazy good. Pairing her with Carnage and Miles (both also boosted this week) has been really fun

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,697 Chairperson of the Boards

Boosted, she CAN be a menace if you're not careful. Got tripped up once this PvP when I wasn't paying attention. She wrecked me pretty good.

• Borstock
    edited December 2023

@Vhailorx said:

@Tiger_Wong said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

IIRC, Wasn't medusa/carnage/Reed viable way back in reed's intermediate phase (he launches as trash, then was reworked into a niche player who could stun and do a little board control and heal, and then was baffingly reworked a second time back into trash)?

Yes. But that team was more of an animation scarecrow. The animations would play so long that the match felt endless. Reed's nerf and the setting to turn off animations killed that team.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

@Borstock said:
    that team was more of an animation scarecrow. The animations would play so long that the match felt endless ... the setting to turn off animations killed that team.

It's insane that this is a thing.

This game (or rather its metagame) has real problems.

• Borstock

@DrClever said:

@Borstock said:
    that team was more of an animation scarecrow. The animations would play so long that the match felt endless ... the setting to turn off animations killed that team.

It's insane that this is a thing.

This game (or rather its metagame) has real problems.

>

I mean... It's not a thing, anymore. They got rid of it.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

I more meant the conceptual thing that one would skip a team not because it was too difficult or even too boring, but merely too animated.

It's bad enough that they had to provide a way to turn off the power animations (and that so many of us use it) but people also look at powers that move tiles in a tile moving game and go "I don't fancy playing against that".

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023

That team at the time also had pretty significant levels of burst healing relative to what was available at the time. I wonder if Ascended Moonstone would be a player in that slow animation game?

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 404 Mover and Shaker

"anyone using ascended Medusa?"

Yeah, all my qs in every PvP this week.