Anyone using an ascended 4* Medusa ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 555 Critical Contributor

I seen the Medusa offer for 7K shards, got me thinking how she plays ascended as a *5. I was curious to hear if any of you have ascended Medusa and what your thoughts are.

Anyone playing with an ascended Medusa want care to chime in ?

It's been years since I've been in 4* land but I always loved using Medusa. Maybe because she allowed you to punch above punch above your weight, but she's always been one of my favorite 4s regardless. Just not sure if she's worth ascending to 5 tier, if I'd ever use her at all. I've got all the 5s and metas, not sure if an ascended Medusa does much for me.

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,379 Chairperson of the Boards

She isn’t as good as I expected her to be, I feel like her attacks do 4* numbers.

• vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 245 Tile Toppler

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    She isn’t as good as I expected her to be, I feel like her attacks do 4* numbers.

Agree with this. Her match damage is nice but it's not enough for her to shine on her own

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 281 Mover and Shaker

I’m using her as a third for Apoc/BRB. Keeps the team healed and feeds AP. You can basically do the same thing with Wanda.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,049 Chairperson of the Boards

Her purple is insane for the buff numbers it grants on switched SAPs. And her yellow grants a nice chunk of health on matched SAPs.

The red tile is pretty tame however. The damage from it can be laughed off. Maybe this is to balance out her ascended form? Idk.

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 281 Mover and Shaker

Also, it’s full rainbow and you gets boosted passive damage each turn. I actually like her better than Wanda.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

Not yet. I'm waiting for her to be boosted. I don't think she has been yet?

My situation is probably much different from others here, but I rarely use any 5* unless they're boosted or they have some insane combo power that works with a boosted guy.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Her tile improvement pales compared to Nico, so yeah, haven't used her yet.
    Maybe when boosted she'll hit crazy numbers, we'll see.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

If the enemy has lots of SAPs then Nico's possibly not doing a lot of boosting in which case stealing a load of them might be the way forward - I don't really see them as alternatives to each other.

I've used Medusa but only to see what she was like and to get a couple of big tile heists which is always fun.

She's an option as a third in some SAP teams but it's hard to see her in the top tier lists because she's not quick.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Since SAP isn't meta currently, it's hard to tell if Medusa will be useful.
    And how things will look once Polaris is ascendable.
    Maybe Goose will be meta and SAP tiles will make a comeback, who knows.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2023

Gentle reminder that Hair Meddle costs 10 purple, and matching enemy tiles earns random colors making it quite challenging to get it to fire off. Her best partner is maybe Carbage since he is tile spamming enemy attacks every turn, but anyone who is reliably boosting saps every turn is going to be more effective than she.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Her tile only does 3.5k damage per turn (@lvl ~450, 5 covers). It's useful as a free damage tick for boosters or strikes, but there are many better ways to do that in the 5* tier already. Her only real value while her numbers are this low are her passive burst heal or ap gen whenever specials are matched.

• ThaRoadWarrior

Mine is 5/3/5, her tile does 1948 at the level I have her. The burst heal and tile pumping really aren’t that effective even with Polaris and Carbage in the mix.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,200 Chairperson of the Boards

I boosted her to 5 stars just to see.

Really not impressed. Wish I could revert, oh well.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

What does she need to be 5* land relevant? Would 3x damage from her tile be enough? 9-10k per round at level 450?

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

@Vhailorx said:
    What does she need to be 5* land relevant? Would 3x damage from her tile be enough? 9-10k per round at level 450?

That would be crazy over powered. She'd be killing a baby champed 4* every other turn with her tile and if you matched it, it would create equivalent attack tiles then start doing 18-20K on subsequent turns!

A lot of players have fond memories of her from back in 2016 as a powerful character because of that auto damage CD. But the truth is that even in 4 star land it doesn't hit hard (takes a lot of turns to kill a 4 star purely from this damage so should take a lot of turns in 5 star land too). It's value was always in getting matched and creating more attack tiles and her value was always in healing and generating AP from enemy SAPs.

KGB

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,210 Chairperson of the Boards

@KGB said:

@Vhailorx said:

That would be crazy over powered. She'd be killing a baby champed 4* every other turn with her tile and if you matched it, it would create equivalent attack tiles then start doing 18-20K on subsequent turns!

A lot of players have fond memories of her from back in 2016 as a powerful character because of that auto damage CD. But the truth is that even in 4 star land it doesn't hit hard (takes a lot of turns to kill a 4 star purely from this damage so should take a lot of turns in 5 star land too). It's value was always in getting matched and creating more attack tiles and her value was always in healing and generating AP from enemy SAPs.

KGB

5 stars are already killing baby champed 4 stars every other turn with match damage, so I don't think medusa's tile doing decent 5 star level damage would be that big a deal. 5 stars should be able to kill 4 stars with ease.

• Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 424 Mover and Shaker

@DyingLegend said:
    I boosted her to 5 stars just to see.

Really not impressed. Wish I could revert, oh well.

May I ask an honest question? Why do you wish you could revert? Simply for the rewards? The feeder aspect? The 4:1 cover conversion?

I’m just curious the reasons why you’d prefer the 4* over the 5*.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023

@BriMan2222 said:

@KGB said:

@Vhailorx said:

KGB

5 stars are already killing baby champed 4 stars every other turn with match damage, so I don't think medusa's tile doing decent 5 star level damage would be that big a deal. 5 stars should be able to kill 4 stars with ease.

That may be true (killing 4s every other turn via match damage).

However Medusa's attack tile in her own tier (4 land) does not do much damage. My 360 Medusa has 26K health and her CD does 1279 damage which says it would take 20 turns to kill an equivalent level character. So a 450 5 star Medusa CD should take about 20 turns to kill an average 450 health 5 star character. That may seem like a long time but if you match, it creates the equivalent attack tile damage so that you are then down to 10 turns and if you match again, down 7 turns etc.

That's before adding a damage booster like Okoye/Apoc etc.

KGB

P.S. Players are saying she's 'meh' when ascended. Well, she's 'meh' in 4 star land too. Only viable against SAP spammers like Carnage or Polaris etc. In other words she has a niche use which is fine.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

When she's boosted the attack CD thing will probably hit hard enough to be worthwhile. Most characters aren't very good unboosted, so I don't see why we should expect any different from this one.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2023

Omega Red at 460 is doing roughly the same amount of single target damage Entanglement does at 455 to all 3 opponents with no penalty for being stunned. I would say if they don't want to change the damage number, it would be nice if she created more attack spam when it was matched or destroyed than just 2. Her burst health isn't good enough to matter, and Hair Meddle costs too much of an un-batteried color at the 5* tier to be a significant factor in her use. Maybe limit the AP gain from random to purple when matching an enemy SAP? Has anyone put their Mr Fantastic over to run with her and either of the Carnages? My dupe is only 2/2/2 so I'll probably get after him once my 4* Cyclops finishes.