MTGPQ Sneak Peek: January 2024 Edition (Updated 01/02/2024)

Options
Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,288 Chairperson of the Boards
edited 7 January 2024, 22:33 in MtGPQ General Discussion

Magic: Puzzle Quest Sneak Peek: Upcoming In January 2024

(*Important note: Anything listed below is subject to change before release. We will try to update any changes in a timely manner, but please keep in mind the info below is not guaranteed.)

PLANESWALKERS

The current list of Planeswalkers available in the Vault can be found HERE

CURRENT STANDARD FORMAT

Current Standard Format contains the following card sets:

• *Origins

• *Puzzle Masters

• The Lost Caverns of Ixalan

• Wilds of Eldraine
  • March of the Machines
  • Phyrexia: All Will Be One
  • The Brothers' War
  • Dominaria United
  • Jumpstart
  • Streets of New Capenna
  • Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
  • Innistrad: Crimson Vow
  • Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

*(Always in Standard Format)

EVENT SCHEDULE OVERVIEW

UPCOMING SINGLE-PLAYER EVENTS - PVP
For full event details, check the Event Details sub-forum

⬇️⬇️⬇️ Weekly Events ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Training Grounds - Standard (Everyday)

• Start Time: 00:01 UTC
  • End Time: 22:01 UTC

Training Grounds - Legacy (Everyday)

• Start Time: 01:59 UTC
  • End Time: 23:59 UTC

Trial of the Planes - Weekdays

• Cost: 60 Mana Crystals
  • Color Order: White, Blue, Black, Red, Green
  • Opt-In Time: 01:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 07:00 UTC
  • End Time: 05:00 UTC

Revolving Planeswalk - Weekdays

Order of the Blessed (White - Monday), Faculty of the Wise (Blue - Tuesday), Well of the Autocratic (Black - Wednesday), Battle Cry of the Furious (Red - Thursday), Nursery of the Consonant (Green - Friday)

• Version: DMU
  • Opt-In Time: 22:00 UTC (previous day)
  • Start Time: 04:00 UTC
  • End Time: 02:00 UTC (next day)

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Weekly Events ⬆️⬆️⬆️

UPCOMING PVP EVENTS

Rising Tensions

• Deck Restriction: Legacy
  • Opt-In Time: 01/02/2023 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 01/02/2023 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 01/04/2023 10:00 UTC

The Colossal Tussle

• Opt-In Time: 01/04/2023 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 01/04/2023 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 01/06/2023 10:00 UTC

Seize the Day

• Deck Restriction: Block
  • Opt-In Time: 01/06/2023 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 01/06/2023 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 01/08/2023 10:00 UTC

Into The Wilds of Eldraine

• Deck Restriction: Standard
  • Opt-In Time: 01/08/2023 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 01/08/2023 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 01/10/2023 10:00 UTC

UPCOMING PVE EVENTS

Fateful Showdown

• Opt-In Time: 01/02/2023 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 01/02/2023 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 01/06/2023 08:00 UTC

Face the Hydra

• Opt-In Time: 01/05/2023 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 01/05/2023 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 01/07/2023 06:00 UTC

Duets of Mana - Tears and Memories

• Opt-In Time: 01/07/2023 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 01/07/2023 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 01/09/2023 06:00 UTC

OTHER EVENTS

COALITION EVENT

Hunter x Bonder

• Type: PvP
  • Opt-In Time: 01/06/2023 00:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 01/07/2023 00:00 UTC
  • End Time: 01/08/2023 22:00 UTC

Planechasing Fblthp

• Type: PvE
  • Start Time: 01/04/2023 14:00 UTC
  • End Time: 01/05/2023 08:00 UTC

UPCOMING PVP EVENTS

Trial of Ambition

• Opt-In Time: 12/26/2023 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 12/26/2023 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 12/28/2023 10:00 UTC

Fate is Rarely Fair

• Opt-In Time: 12/28/2023 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 12/28/2023 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 12/30/2023 10:00 UTC

Emrakul’s Corruption

• Opt-In Time: 12/30/2023 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 12/30/2023 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 12/01/2023 10:00 UTC

UPCOMING PVE EVENTS

Duets of Mana - Tears and Memories

• Opt-In Time: 12/25/2023 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 12/25/2023 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 12/27/2023 06:00 UTC

Tour de Ravnica

• Opt-In Time: 12/27/2023 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 12/27/2023 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 12/29/2023 06:00 UTC

Duets of Mana - Spite and Martyrdom

• Opt-In Time: 12/29/2023 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 12/29/2023 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 12/31/2023 06:00 UTC

You've Found An Entrance

• Opt-In Time: 12/31/2023 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 12/31/2023 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 01/02/2024 06:00 UTC

OTHER EVENTS

COALITION EVENT

Of Machine and Freedom

• Deck Restriction: Standard
  • Opt-In Time: 12/30/2023 00:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 12/30/2023 00:00 UTC
  • End Time: 12/31/2023 22:00 UTC

Battles From the Ages

• Opt-In Time: 12/27/2023 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 12/27/2023 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 12/28/2023 06:00 UTC

Planechasing Fblthp

• Type: PvE
  • Start Time: 12/27/2023 14:00 UTC
  • End Time: 12/28/2023 08:00 UTC

Comments

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

How often will the new WOE events be run?

• TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Seriously? ATV Legacy is back on the cards? Its going to be a bloodbath on that bottom node. Webcore can you at least block restrict the event?

• AceAnnihil8r
    AceAnnihil8r Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options

Webcore, I understand that you feel the need to “test” every event, however ATV was a particularly unpopular event when it ran in Standard and there have been too many Legacy events lately (consecutively even!). The very idea of this concept in Legacy is so scary that people are quitting the game, or taking a lengthy break until things stabilize again. This is not just my opinion, but the reaction in multiple the Discord Servers I participate in. Please change this event for the good of the community.

• BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I agree. Playing this event has always been an unpleasant experience for many players. Specially those with smaller collections. There are a lot of players that play for competitive coalitions which can stay up to speed in Standard but have smaller Legacy collections. Giving Greg double guaranteed double turns in Legacy makes it almost imposible for many players with smaller Legacy collections. It is still really difficult for players with big Legacy collections but at least not unfairly difficult.

• Machine
    Machine Posts: 791 Critical Contributor
    Options

I can only agree what @AceAnnihil8r is saying here. We lost one of our permanent players because the latest trend has been legacy only. I also agree that ATV is an obnoxious event in legacy. It's already difficult enough to face all the combo loop decks. Can you imagine what will happen if the opponent has two turns every turn to try to get his loop going? Please cancel, redesign, make it block restricted, or whatever, but don't run it in its current form @Magic:PQ Support Team

• totalsiege
    totalsiege Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options

@AceAnnihil8r said:
    Webcore, I understand that you feel the need to “test” every event, however ATV was a particularly unpopular event when it ran in Standard and there have been too many Legacy events lately (consecutively even!). The very idea of this concept in Legacy is so scary that people are quitting the game, or taking a lengthy break until things stabilize again. This is not just my opinion, but the reaction in multiple the Discord Servers I participate in. Please change this event for the good of the community.

You have old and new cards to build a deck more options not less. Playing pve legacy is boring and tedious. You can counter any deck if you build based on pw you see in match screen.

• Sephiroth0574
    Sephiroth0574 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options

Webcore, I have heard this argument ever since ATV went to legacy. And it has been successfully shot down every time it has been suggested up to this point. I'm not going to say it's the funnest event we have, but at the end of the day, I do like the option of variety and, I do find the PVE Legacy exhausting and unchallenging at this point so at the risk of losing points for a given weekend, I welcome the chaos.

There is another old event that is Legacy now that involved the Disturbed mechanic that I would like to see put back in the rotation as well. But, that might be more challenging for newer people because, some folks might not have any cards whatsoever.

And the example that has been provided regarding players quitting.. not to sound like a **** but, that's more on them and their lack of conviction and confidence in what they can do. Especially if they played for a while, they shouldn't quit just because one weekend they get an event that might threaten their perfect score record.

• Mainloop25
    Options

@Sephiroth0574 said:

And the example that has been provided regarding players quitting.. not to sound like a **** but, that's more on them and their lack of conviction and confidence in what they can do. Especially if they played for a while, they shouldn't quit just because one weekend they get an event that might threaten their perfect score record.

This. If this is all it takes for you to quit the game, then you were probably really close to quitting anyways, so it's hard to take suggestions from people who aren't really into the game that seriously.

• TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Since I kicked this off, let me wade back in here with a few points.
    There are lots of very good arguments made here both for and against ATV this weekend. There is also a bit of finger pointing and second guessing the motivation of other players, which is less good and not helpful.
    I am against ATV returning as a Legacy coalition event for a few reasons. First, yes it will be tough, points will be lost, records damaged. The bottom node felt pretty hard in Standard. Giving greg two turns in Legacy will mean very often greg gets off loops or creates a dominant board position before the human player can get going. I play the game for fun, this will not be fun and will feel unfair. Secondly, many players (and coalitions) are rightly proud of their scoring record, and are very protective of it. I don't know anyone who is quitting the game, but I am aware of a few sitting this weekend out. I don't blame them. PvP Coalition events should be a test of deck building skill, the ability to prioritise and manage cards in hand, even gem swapping skill. Throwing in a massive roulette wheel of luck detracts from this, and reduces fun. Remember the fun!
    I know everyone will be in the same boat, but just because everyone gets hit with a frying pan doesn't make it fun to get hit with a frying pan!
    I'm not against Legacy ATV per se. I would be delighted to see it appear as a mid-week event, but I work hard during the week and can pick and choose what and how much I play. I want to enjoy my weekends, and losing games to a coin toss is not my idea of fun.
    That's why I don't like the idea of Legacy ATV PvP coalition. If it goes ahead though, I'll see you there!!

• AceAnnihil8r
    AceAnnihil8r Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options

This is not about me. I am a dedicated veteran player with a good collection on both accounts. We need more players, events that encourage new players and give them a chance. The trend has been more and more people leaving, not growing the game.

• Irmãodojorel
    Irmãodojorel Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options

Newer players often compete in gold or lower ranks, so you don't see many loop decks in those ranks. Is ATV boring? Hell yeah. But it's one of few events that challenges you to make a perfect deck with perfect moves and think seriously about your strategies. Majority of the events it's for you get the best cards and put with the best Planeswalker and it's done, perfect score. I see this community get used to complaining about everything

• Quidajj
    Quidajj Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options

Archon of Emeria is your friend

• Machine
    Machine Posts: 791 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Quidajj said:
    Archon of Emeria is your friend

If you get the time to cast it, that is...

• Sarah
    Sarah Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options

Honestly? What even is the point of posting sneak peeks if you’re just going to swap back to the same-old, same-old events after a few complaints.

Did I tell you that this event was broken? No. I did not. Sometimes the events are broken and, when they are, we will raise our pitchforks.

This was not one of those times. It would’ve been challenging. Too challenging for people that can’t stand to lose… but those same people complain about too many players tied for first so 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Sarah
    Options

@AceAnnihil8r said:
    This is not about me. I am a dedicated veteran player with a good collection on both accounts. We need more players, events that encourage new players and give them a chance. The trend has been more and more people leaving, not growing the game.

So there are two problems; no new players and more and more veterans leaving. This is two sides of the same coin.

What is the point of collecting all of these shiny cards if I don’t get to play with them?

• Mainloop25
    Options

@Sarah said:

@AceAnnihil8r said:

So there are two problems; no new players and more and more veterans leaving. This is two sides of the same coin.

What is the point of collecting all of these shiny cards if I don’t get to play with them?

Exactly what I was saying in a different thread! I'm glad I'm not alone here

• Sardis
    Sardis Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Mainloop25 said:

@Sarah said:

@AceAnnihil8r said:

Exactly what I was saying in a different thread! I'm glad I'm not alone here

I agree with you both! I've been playing this game since it first came out...so yes, my legacy collection is quite extensive...through endless pack acquisition (and sooooo many duplicates....), diligent and at times obsessive card crafting, and the last 2 years of VIP....but yet, it feels like (more and more) there is an unspoken desire to cater to new players by removing/limiting our ability to use them (whether by coalition event selection or by nerfing the cards we've painstakingly (and for some, financially) acquired.

There has to be some other way to level the playing field without throwing away all the blood, sweet, and tears over the years that veteran players have put in.

I don't know..why not re-evalute and adjust how opponent selection is made so that new players (specifically new to Platinum) aren't thrown into the deep end with the older sharks? Maybe by Total legacy card count or player experience total...or something?

• Sardis
    Sardis Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2023
    Options

Basically put: find a way to make the game easier for those just entering Platinum, without hamstring veteran/elite players.

(Create a new tier) either between gold and platinum...or after Platinum.

• Sarah
    Options

@Sardis said:
    I don't know..why not re-evalute and adjust how opponent selection is made so that new players (specifically new to Platinum) aren't thrown into the deep end with the older sharks? Maybe by Total legacy card count or player experience total...or something?

It's funny you mention this! Reworked matchmaking/mastery was a priority at one time... until it wasn't.

I've been waiting since 2019:

PLANNED ADDITIONS
    As mentioned in our previous updates, we have plans involving additional game modes, not just events. Those will provide experience gain for Player Levels without being tied to card mastery. Yes, card mastery is, as of this moment, the only way of raising your level, but won’t be for long. Our main focus right now is designing a functional and rewarding “Season”-based game mode. We have Daily Quests and Trophies systems in concept phase to go along with that feature, the latter of which will consider retroactive gameplay to some extent. The new matchmaking system for the Season content is intended to be more balanced and fair, and should NOT consider color mastery as the main method of matchmaking (as it’s currently present in the game). Thus, no new color mastery level will be added as of this moment and instead, players that reach or have reached some quantity of mastered cards will be awarded Trophies and reward bundles (which ties into our Trophies feature). All of these new systems are currently in design/development and should become progressively available throughout the year.

https://d3go.com/details-on-the-new-content-featured-in-3-2-and-mtgpqs-future-updates/

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Sardis said:
    Basically put: find a way to make the game easier for those just entering Platinum, without hamstring veteran/elite players.

(Create a new tier) either between gold and platinum...or after Platinum.

I think there should be a level above platinum personally