Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@KGB said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

@entrailbucket said:
    MPQ's playerbase is significantly more international than you might expect, and Marvel itself is hugely successful and popular all over the world.

Ya I'm Irish and I'm still waiting for my Banshee representation

You might be luckier than you know. As a Canadian, my 2 representations are Puck :'( and Northstar :'(

KGB

Wolverine doesn't count?

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@MultipleMan98 said:

@entrailbucket said:
    MPQ's playerbase is significantly more international than you might expect, and Marvel itself is hugely successful and popular all over the world.

Is Banshee representative? Or is he more in this category: https://www.theonion.com/irish-americans-gear-up-for-the-reinforcin-o-the-stereo-1819586600

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,960 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@KGB said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

@entrailbucket said:

You might be luckier than you know. As a Canadian, my 2 representations are Puck :'( and Northstar :'(

KGB

Wolverine doesn't count?

When he was born (late 1800s on latest retcon?) that land wasn't really a part of Canada. Alberta didn't become a province until 1095. Before that it was a territory that could have decided to join the US or Canada or even gone it's own way entirely. For that reason I don't consider him a Canadian superhero.

KGB

• MultipleMan98
    MultipleMan98 Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options

@rainkingucd said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

@entrailbucket said:

Is Banshee representative? Or is he more in this category: https://www.theonion.com/irish-americans-gear-up-for-the-reinforcin-o-the-stereo-1819586600

It's the most representation I'll get as an Irish person. It's either that or Shamrock
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Molly_Fitzgerald_(Earth-616)

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273
    Umm… where did I say you were offended? Because I didn’t. What a touchy response. I’m just generally against companies that don’t stay true to their origins and try to pander to everyone because they’re afraid someone will get offended. Mature adults don’t expect everyone to accommodate them, but consider what other people want or need.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,949 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@bbigler said:
    @DAZ0273
    Umm… where did I say you were offended? Because I didn’t. What a touchy response. I’m just generally against companies that don’t stay true to their origins and try to pander to everyone because they’re afraid someone will get offended. Mature adults don’t expect everyone to accommodate them, but consider what other people want or need.

Counterpoint: superheroes are popular among kids, and kids can often more easily identify with superheroes who have a similar background to them.

Like, Marvel has obviously done a bunch of ridiculous, silly, borderline-offensive tokenism over the years, and nobody should want more of that. But representation does matter and when it's done well it's a big deal.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@bbigler said:
    @DAZ0273

OK then. This is becoming strangely passive aggressive over a nothing situation and I never had a dog in the fight to begin with. I just said it was cool to have another Asian hero, if for some reason that makes you mad then I am sorry about that.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

@bbigler said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    I think it's good that we have another character from Asia - this game and super heroes in general are pretty lacking geographically for non-US based people.

What do you expect? Marvel is an American made comic - so I would expect most characters to also be American. If a TV show is Japanese made, then I would expect most characters to be Japanese. I don’t expect non-US countries to include Americans in their advertising or products, nor am I offended if they don’t. If I played a game based on Indian characters or culture, then I expect them to be true to their culture and not try to pander to everyone else.

Umm, one thing you may notice if you pay attention to (1) the population of the United States and (2) Marvel's character roster (especially the pre-2000 roster) is that the two things have always looked a little different.

Marvel was an American company (now arguably more of a global brand than anything else), but their lineup was nevertheless very heavy on white, straight, cis-men compared to the US population.

Marvel is only representative of the United States if you put on some blinders. . .

• DAZ0273
    Options

@KGB said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@KGB said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

@entrailbucket said:

KGB

Wolverine doesn't count?

When he was born (late 1800s on latest retcon?) that land wasn't really a part of Canada. Alberta didn't become a province until 1095. Before that it was a territory that could have decided to join the US or Canada or even gone it's own way entirely. For that reason I don't consider him a Canadian superhero.

KGB

Interesting stuff. So what would his nationality be then?

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@KGB said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@KGB said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

@entrailbucket said:

KGB

Wolverine doesn't count?

KGB

White guys born in future Alberta ca 1800 were almost all UK citizens (with maybe some birthright US citizens in the mix). Whether they can claim to be natives to that land is a more complicated question.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@MultipleMan98 said:

@rainkingucd said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

@entrailbucket said:

It's the most representation I'll get as an Irish person. It's either that or Shamrock

Shamrock may be even worst but I guess she doesn’t have the castle filled with Leprechauns…

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@KGB said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@KGB said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

@entrailbucket said:

KGB

Wolverine doesn't count?

KGB

White guys born in future Alberta ca 1800 were almost all UK citizens (with maybe some birthright US citizens in the mix). Whether they can claim to be natives to that land is a more complicated question.

It has been a while since I read Origin but isn’t he the Son of a rich land owner? Doesn’t sound very native I guess. So Wolverine could be a Brit - not an idea I was expecting

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,929 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

@kirk justice said:
    I’m probably in the minority here but I love new Spider-Man additions. Personally I’d prefer a new Venom or Symbiote suit Spider-Man, but Spider-Man India was great in Across the Spiderverse

You are not the only one! There are still quite a few Spider-verse characters I would love to see make it into the game. And I would definitely love a Symbiote Suit Spider-man. :)

• 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options

I’m cool with this one. I wasn’t aware of him before Across the Spider-Verse, but he was hilarious in that movie.

• bbigler
    Options

@entrailbucket I don’t think it’s true that kids more easily identify with superheroes of their own background. My kids love heroes of any kind - it’s what the hero does and says that matters, not their identity. They even like heroes that aren’t even human. Kids can see the goodness in character and want to emulate that.

@Vhailorx The population of the United States is heavily white straight men, so it is a proper representation. Combine that fact with the American bravado to fight for freedom and what’s right, and it makes sense to have white American superheroes. This doesn’t mean everyone else can’t be a hero, they can, but that’s the Marvel origin.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,960 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@Vhailorx said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@KGB said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@KGB said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

@entrailbucket said:

KGB

Wolverine doesn't count?

KGB

It has been a while since I read Origin but isn’t he the Son of a rich land owner? Doesn’t sound very native I guess. So Wolverine could be a Brit - not an idea I was expecting

I think it's now considered he was the son of the rich landowner's servants/workers.

But either way, yeah he's definitely of British Isles descent. But I wouldn't say that makes him a British superhero just because he has British heritage because he wasn't born there and it's quite likely his parents weren't either. A of people in North America in the 1800s would have been born into territories rather that into the country proper depending on when the State or Province officially joined the respective country. I personally group those people into being officially born into no country.

KGB

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

Apropos of nothing in particular, what nationality are our forum mods and what are the other good places to chat MPQ?

• bbigler
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    This thread is taking a weird turn, and not for the better.
    So you just cater to the majority, and expect everyone to just accept that there's no representation.
    OK.
    That's.. A take.

Nobody explicitly said that. But no one should be surprised or offended that the majority of Marvel heroes are white American men. Over time they’ve added everyone else, but I hope they did it for the sake of a good interesting superhero, not for the sake of diversity. We have many bad Hollywood movies that put diversity over everything else.

• MultipleMan98
    MultipleMan98 Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

@rainkingucd said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

@entrailbucket said:

Shamrock may be even worst but I guess she doesn’t have the castle filled with Leprechauns…

Hey those leprechauns saved Nightcrawlers life so take that back good sir

This discussion has been closed.