Mighty Thor counter teams

Options
Nero
Nero Posts: 31 Just Dropped In

Hi everyone,

I open this topic because i'm in trouble versus teams with this specific character. :/

I play most of the time versus scl10 but i'm not a competitive player(grinding the rewards wins not classement)

My roster is scaling on lvl 305 with a handfull of 5* full covered or good covered.
Colosus, Wanda, Apoclypse, Chasm, Crystal, BRB, Emma frost, Gamora, Mthor, Jean Grey, KamalaK, Kitty Pride, SC, She Hulk, Samurai Wolverine.

I'm in trouble vs team like "MThor/Polaris" + KamalaK, SC, BRB...

2-5 moves, titles multiplications, IA play alone => Dead Team :# The common scenario

Have you teams composition, tricks or anything to recommend ?

Thanks

Comments

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options

My personal MThor counter is:

Crystal (heals and AP generation on enemy matches)

High Evolutionary (AP generation on enemy matches plus his yellow works as a heal)

Both of these work well against Jane because she's making multiple matches per turn... And I benefit from those matches.

For the third I usually use Omega Red (he's got a heal on his red and his countdown goes to work after Jane goes down)

Focus Jane (MThor) the more cascades she causes the faster I put her down and I rarely need a health pack due to all the healing.

You have Crystal, but not the others I've mentioned... By the way the team above is not the usual team I've seen anyone else use...I just put it together one day and really liked it.

You have MThor and several of her usual partners though so you could try mirror matches when you see her.

If the tile multiplier (Jane destroying tiles that her team mates replace or generate AP when they're destroyed) is the issue...

You need to focus Polaris first. She has low health and should go down quickly.

Chasm isn't as good as he once was, but he still prevents BRB from placing those initial protects. But you'll be a target for some players.

SC is SC and he's going to do what SC does. You need to deny him red/purple in the early game if you're focusing another enemy... Or target him first.

A lot of players are seeing what you describe.
    MThor partnered with SC or Polaris and her passive tile destruction causing an early cascade that feeds either SC hitting like a truck or Polaris flooding the board very quickly. You're not alone. When that happens (AI is just good at hitting those cascades) there's not a lot you can do the top of my roster is just below 500 and I have everyone... But I'm usually competing with 550 players so I get those period where I'm just outgunned as well.

The upside is you have enough champed 5s you'll gain more 5s quickly.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,960 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I use BrB/Polaris/SheHulk in pick 3 (or BrB/Polaris in pick 2)

Helps if SheHulk tanks green over BrB since u want her eating damage and dying (u can bring her in at low health to die on turn 1 to trigger her revive passive).

Just match your protects and wait for Jane to help you match or destroy more. Your target is Polaris first on damage and stun. Use SheHulk Green to create a winfinite.

I often boost 1 Blue so I only need 6 more for Polaris initial stun.

KGB

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 450 Mover and Shaker
    Options

A Chasm based team should shut down Mthor/Polaris almost entirely. Focus Polaris first. You'll want to play around with the second but Chasm should be your starting point for that team.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Do you have 4 star mantis. She can stun lock an enemy polaris team.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,949 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

Mantis has to have her CD resolve to stun someone, Thor will probably blow them up.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

Mantis has to have her CD resolve to stun someone, Thor will probably blow them up.

Does she? I thought she did it passively when she matches SAP tiles. It's been awhile since I've played with her.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

Chasm slows down her for exactly 4 turns.
    Actually Mthor doesn't need any counter.
    Today I played SIM where she rules right now, beating each match with omega kang and the monkey (probably you won't be ableto use this team, but any swap works).
    If there isn't a mirror match she won't destroy all the board or special tiles. Match the yummy charged tiles, there is almost a rainbow with this team.
    Send her away if things get dangerous. Use the nasty purple combo monkey-kang.
    Omega can restore himself so not really health packs wasted.
    I beat easily a polaris Mthor SC team, Mthor SC kang, Mthor onslaught SC.
    I beat a Mthor riri SC team too but I got stunlocked and had one casualty.

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 958 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2023
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

Does she? I thought she did it passively when she matches SAP tiles. It's been awhile since I've played with her.

She passively places countdowns (when you match or destroy enemy special tiles), which have to resolve to stun a random enemy.

• Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 271 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I’ve never had ongoing issues fighting mThor simply by using the weekly boosted 5 stars (assuming they don’t all suck). Match damage is usually enough to down her in a few rounds. Otherwise, fight fire with fire and bring in my own mThor. I actively hunt for these teams in PvP because they are high point and easy targets.

• dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options

Cosmo also shuts down powers every time a charge tile is matched (destroyed? I forget). So MThor will get turns and AP, but won't be able to fire her powers (assuming she's the one making the matches) and you can knock her out easily depending on rest of your roster.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

It's both. She has a passive power that produces CDs when matches enemy special tiles. when those CDs resolve they stun a random target, or do damage if the target is already stunned. But the relevant one for fighting fosthor is probably her green active, which stuns a target for 3 rds, places a 3 round repeater that will stun the same target again for 3 rounds and heals them. So it's a permanent stun that will heal an enemy if you leave it up too long. And if the repeater is destroyed mantis is stunned. If you can survive long enough to collect 8 green ap this is a great tool to remove 1 extremely dangerous opponent from the team.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@dokiy said:
    Cosmo also shuts down powers every time a charge tile is matched (destroyed? I forget). So MThor will get turns and AP, but won't be able to fire her powers (assuming she's the one making the matches) and you can knock her out easily depending on rest of your roster.

Also, Alligator Loki has a passive that does a pretty high amount of damage every time the enemy matches a charged tile.

• KGB
    edited October 2023
    Options

For everyone suggesting you can match damage Polaris to death quickly or talking about 5* teams, take a look again at the original post. This is a 4* player with a L305 average roster. You can't match damage Polaris to death on turn 1 or 2 unless you get really lucky with cascades. Nor can this person rely on boosted 5* since they have a limited set of 5's to work with.

As a person in 4* land the only reliable teams (90%+ win ratio) to beat MThor/Polaris/(BRB/SC/Kamala) are Polaris/BRB/SheHulk or Polaris/BRB/Chasm along with boosted blue. That or skip and look for another target.

KGB

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options

@KGB said:
    For everyone suggesting you can match damage Polaris to death quickly or talking about 5* teams, take a look again at the original post. This is a 4* player with a L305 average roster. You can't match damage Polaris to death on turn 1 or 2 unless you get really lucky with cascades. Nor can this person rely on boosted 5* since they have a limited set of 5's to work with.

As a person in 4* land the only reliable teams (90%+ win ratio) to beat MThor/Polaris/(BRB/SC/Kamala) are Polaris/BRB/SheHulk or Polaris/BRB/Chasm along with boosted blue. That or skip and look for another target.

KGB

My understanding was they had a mostly 4* roster... But listed several strong 5s as their champed 5s. So I don't think it's matching down Polaris is something they can't do.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Blackstone said:

@KGB said:

KGB

My understanding was they had a mostly 4* roster... But listed several strong 5s as their champed 5s. So I don't think it's matching down Polaris is something they can't do.

Rereading it, it sounds like they have a number of very strong 5* fully-covered, but softcapped.

So "level up your guys, then kill Thor with match damage" seems like a perfectly reasonable piece of advice that would easily fix this problem.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,023 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I run 5* gambit/Ph5Emma/HiEvo. Especially vs FosThor/Shang Chi teams.

Let them make their matches to give your Gambit red (HiEvo’s passive). His red will be powered not only by Emma but by the charged tiles on the field. You can actually leave FosThor last sometimes if you feel there is a bigger threat on the FosThor team because she becomes a battery for your gambit.

• KGB
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Blackstone said:

@KGB said:

KGB

Rereading it, it sounds like they have a number of very strong 5* fully-covered, but softcapped.

So "level up your guys, then kill Thor with match damage" seems like a perfectly reasonable piece of advice that would easily fix this problem.

I would highly recommend against doing that and given that I know you know how MMR works I'm surprised you'd suggest it.

Lets imagine the OP could level up say 3-4 to 450 (remember not all listed were fully covered). At that point they are in 450 MMR land and while they could match damage Polaris who would be stuck at 370 tops, they'd simply now face 450 Janes instead of 310 Janes so the match damage ->health ratio would be the same. What's worse is they'd also find themselves facing a steady diet of 550 boosted teams because as you know, MMR doesn't take into account boosted characters so they'd be stuck using their non-boosted 450's against boosted 450s (at 550) other than the rare weeks one of theirs was boosted. That would be far worse than where they are now.

KGB

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Nero

Use Rogue/5* Colossus/Karnak (or Shang) if you can. Rogue’s jump in front (and 75% reduction in ALL damage) will mitigate match damage, nullify cascades caused by 5* Modern Thor.

Target Polaris first. Focus on 5 green to use Power Siphon on Polaris. This will take restrict all Blue AP (Skill siphons the target’s strongest color) generation or damage caused by matching Blue and allow you to down Polaris. The rest should be easy.

For Polaris teams that begin matches with SAP’s, use Chasm as a third over Colossus or Karnak. Slow, but you can take out the multiplier (Polaris)