How do you play post-nerf Chasm?

Options
Glockoma
Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor

Any tips, new strategies, best build, or current partners?

He seems kinda…”meh” now? Maybe I’m missing something, but I defer to the community here with far more experience than I do anymore. Thanks

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

Much better, thank you.

Edit: oh how you play WITH Chasm.
    Yeah, you don't.

• Raekwen
    Raekwen Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options

I mean, you can.. but you'll be a target.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

What's a Chasm?

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:
    What's a Chasm?

one of these?

• Glockoma
    Options

About what I expected, thank you all. I suppose another successful nerf into uselessness.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Glockoma said:
    About what I expected, thank you all. I suppose another successful nerf into uselessness.

He isn't unusable insofar he can't win anything. He still has a few tricks that have some value, and can contribute to some teams.

But he is painfully slow and can't really survive long matches the way he used to with his revive mechanic nerfed so heavily.

I think this nerf is a good case study in the precarious nature of meta-dominence in MPQ. This isn't an "into the ground" nerf like OML or gambit got. But the practical effect is the same. You just never see him anymore except when essential (or in specialty events like class of 2022).

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,155 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

Doesn't he save 10 seconds per easy node fight versus mindless ones? That's all I ever used him for anyway.

Edit: Now I don't remember it that well, but I thought OML was still usable in PvE for match damage and true healing. I've used OML more post-nerf than I ever used Chasm.

I also accept that I'm not representative (or even a member of the group) of sensible/competitive players. I just like him more.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Using OML doesn't actively hinder your own team (unless of course you count being a bit squishy), so I can see that.

• Glockoma
    Options

So his start of battle stun is really his only utility anymore? Ouch. Please feel free to elaborate if anyone thinks otherwise; I appreciate it!

• Vhailorx
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Glockoma said:
    So his start of battle stun is really his only utility anymore? Ouch. Please feel free to elaborate if anyone thinks otherwise; I appreciate it!

His start of battle stun is still unique and good. His revival stun is much less useful now, but still nice to have if it comes up. His ap drain still affects matches a fair bit, but you can work around it now. The revive is largely unchanged when playing him, since I rarely saw him die more than 1-3 in a match on offense, and that is still relatively easy. [Edit: he does revive with less health, so maxing out his healthiness passive is way more important than it used to be.] But it's a big difference on defense where you can target him first more easily. I also think the difference between 1 chasm and a mirror match is much bigger now. Mirror matches can still get close to the feel of old chasm, with both teams having very little ap and the board flooded with his tiles.

(Note most of my experimentation with him was in class of 2022, when the nerf was still pretty new, so use caution extrapolating that to standard pick2 pvp. I barely ever see him in my queues in regular events now.)

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

He's useless now because he comes back with so little health.
    Even on offense you'll most likely use a pack every match or two,and on defense he dies to a stiff breeze after his first revive.

• Vhailorx
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    He's useless now because he comes back with so little health.
    Even on offense you'll most likely use a pack every match or two,and on defense he dies to a stiff breeze after his first revive.

This was a manageable problem in class of 22 because it wasn't against top tier offensive opponents. I can see it being a huge issue in regular play where the damage comes in a lot faster.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

I used Chasm in the Puzzle Gauntlet node where you needed friendly countdown tiles to resolve - the headstart from the stun meant I could get the enemy Coulson out of the picture earlier which really helped.

Is that niche enough?

I still see him in PvP a bit - I suppose there will be quite a few people who have him at a higher level than most of their other toons.

• Glockoma
    Options

Yeah I took him for a spin in regular play. I carry the same sentiment mentioned here: I struggled to find any utility for him outside of the start of turn stun.

If they release a support that does the same thing, he’s effectively F tier.

Like many a meta before him, I don’t quite understand the “rebalance…just to rebalance a few years later” approach.

I may be wrong, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t the only one thinking he’s probably forgettable.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,155 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Glockoma said:
    Yeah I took him for a spin in regular play. I carry the same sentiment mentioned here: I struggled to find any utility for him outside of the start of turn stun.

If they release a support that does the same thing, he’s effectively F tier.

Like many a meta before him, I don’t quite understand the “rebalance…just to rebalance a few years later” approach.

I may be wrong, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t the only one thinking he’s probably forgettable.

I guess it depends what you're comparing him against. I think there are still many worse 5*s out there. He's just nowhere near as good as he was. I think as a rebalance goes, it was pretty successful.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Y'all think he'll be better once more 4* spider-fam jumps up to 5* to make webs?

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2023
    Options

I don’t think he goes to forgettable level; a good web tile generator or a user would be good with him need to check Miles five star also with ascension few of the four stars including silk Cindy moon

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

You'd use him exactly like every other 5* -- when he's boosted.

Characters shouldn't ever be 100+ levels better than others at the same tier.

• Glockoma
    Options

Got it; essentially benched lol