Can we talk about Gambit for a minute?

Xax
Xax Posts: 43 Just Dropped In

Can we PLEASE un-nerf this poor Cajun already?

I understand he was very OP when he was released. I was playing then, but not at the level at which it impacted my game for better or for worse. My understanding is that he was single handedly breaking pvp. I get that.... I guess.

But times have changed so much. There would be so many options to counter the original Gambit mechanics. He so bad that I have a dupe with one cover (not black) so I don't have to put up with him blocking my red and purple powers in pve. Did I mention my other Gambit is not champed? I duped an un-champed 5* to avoid his black because it's that obnoxious to play with.

Let's get this done!! Leave 3 star alone, I don't care. But please fix 5 star Gambit!!

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

...they fixed him a few months ago. He's mid-tier now, and pretty good when he's boosted.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2023

Yeah, champ him, then try him out boosted.
    He's good.
    Like, REALLY good.
    And that's only 489, boosted.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,785 Chairperson of the Boards

I'd like his purple reverted to how it was, after all we have Mthor smashing everything up so why does he have to stay nerf red. I'd also like the restriction removed on his red and purple.

Or I'd take one of the above. Yeah he's decent now but I'd like to see him rise back to near the top.

• Xax

But he still blocks his teammates red and purple powers right?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Yeah but it doesn't matter if his red murders everyone.

• Xax

Exactly, it doesn't matter... so remove the restriction. I can't make it make sense from a comic lore perspective. They did it because they made a character too strong, too early and couldn't release effective counters at the time.

Goons that generate AP don't block their teammates powers. It's just ****.

I'm genuinely happy for those of you that have him champed and are happy with the recent update (my bad for missing it), but mine isn't close to murdering everyone anytime soon so he's just a major pain in the butt to play with at SCL 10 when he's the essential.

• entrailbucket

From a comic lore perspective, you want Gambit to be a selfless support character who hangs back and generates resources for other characters to use?

If anything, the lockout is TOO consistent with the lore.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,379 Chairperson of the Boards

I’m running him in PVP with shang chi and mThor, Jane is doing cascades and Shang is building match damage, and gambit is melting enemies with his actives. It is pretty fast.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 885 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2023

Can we stop with all the nerf talk please? No one needs to be nerfed. Not Mthor, not Kang, and certainly not Gambit. Just stop. Build a better roster.

• Xax

@entrailbucket said:
    From a comic lore perspective, you want Gambit to be a selfless support character who hangs back and generates resources for other characters to use?

If anything, the lockout is TOO consistent with the lore.

Disagree. Is he the best team player ever? No. But he does care about his teammates (a lot) and isn't constantly getting in everyone's way when he's out there supposedly just trying to do his own thing.

I'm done talking about it. My mind won't be changed. I'm thankful for everyone's feedback because now at least I know I'm the only one that feels this way and I can move in with my life. I'm glad they made the changes they made. Thanks again.

• Xax

@Tony_Foot said:
    I'd like his purple reverted to how it was, after all we have Mthor smashing everything up so why does he have to stay nerf red. I'd also like the restriction removed on his red and purple.

Or I'd take one of the above. Yeah he's decent now but I'd like to see him rise back to near the top.

I overlooked your comment. Sorry. At least I'm not entirely alone :)

• entrailbucket

The lore thing reminds me of 5* Thor, who's the most hilarious lore miss in the game's history.

Somehow the MPQ devs watched the movie where Thor is a gladiator in the Sakaar arena and decided that the character should be someone who purposely hurts himself by repeatedly retreating from fights, then hides in the back and generates resources for other characters.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,297 Chairperson of the Boards

@Xax said:

@Tony_Foot said:

I overlooked your comment. Sorry. At least I'm not entirely alone :)

I agree with you on the Purple/Red - really annoying when I want Shang to heal and blow up tiles. Sure it does a load of damage, but I bet that I can get Shang to do more, even if it's dropping tiles to make a Purple match and then criticalling the opponent into oblivion.

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler

From a defence perspective it is pretty good we are sure to use a healthpack on one or two characters if he gets to three turns with the red black countdown tile but on offence it can be little annoying not to use purple powers though ;wishing they unnerfed him to only others not being able to use red powers

• entrailbucket

I think if they removed the restriction, they'd probably have to nerf his AP generation -- otherwise he'd just be a way better, 5* version of Deathlok.

I imagine he's only allowed to generate as much AP as he currently does because of the ability lockout. The solution for this is to level up your Gambit, and only use him when he's boosted, so his powers are your best red and purple options.

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler

S true he l be a different kind of a beast altogether I have him at a decent level but still his purple countdowns are sort of meh and as u rightly said it s the dampener for the other two good powers plus the restriction I am fine with him as is but that was the devil wish in me talking lol

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,049 Chairperson of the Boards

A buff/rebalance to gambit ahoukd (hopefully) be nowhere close to being on the agenda ahead of the many MANY characters that are worse off than him.

He’s fine. Gambit with Ph5 Emma is great with gambit’s red hitting extremely hard. Those 2 + HiEvo are the best anti-Mthor team in the game.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,210 Chairperson of the Boards

@WilliamK1983 said:
    Can we stop with all the nerf talk please? No one needs to be nerfed. Not Mthor, not Kang, and certainly not Gambit. Just stop. Build a better roster.

Did you actually read? He was asking for a buff, not nerf.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,697 Chairperson of the Boards

I found him very usable when boosted recently.