Class of 2018

Options
ThaRoadWarrior
ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,259 Chairperson of the Boards

Who are we using, who are we seeing? I’m starting out with the Vibraniacs - Shuri/Okoye/P4nther because there is a lot of funny math when they all get a full head of steam going.

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,164 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Kingpin/Kitty/JJ so far. This is the first 5* "class of" that I haven't used 3x lvl672s, and I've already been attacked once!

Hopefully this one will be less boring, since apparently every single person who's ever played this game has a 550 Okoye.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It's interesting to see how few characters from the 2018 class play well with okoye. I guess it really wasn't until 2019 that they began building characrers with multiple hits of damage or lots of damage passive procs to really leverage damage boosters.

• entrailbucket
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thor was in Class of 2017, and Okoye/Thor was the entire game for like two whole years (or at least, it felt like it).

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,052 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Vhailorx said:
    It's interesting to see how few characters from the 2018 class play well with okoye. I guess it really wasn't until 2019 that they began building characrers with multiple hits of damage or lots of damage passive procs to really leverage damage boosters.

I suspect no one noticed or cared because everyone was running Thorkoye which is something you can't do in these 'Class of' events since they weren't released in the same year.

KGB

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@KGB said:

@Vhailorx said:

I suspect no one noticed or cared because everyone was running Thorkoye which is something you can't do in these 'Class of' events since they weren't released in the same year.

KGB

Thorkoye is a solid pick 2 team and did dominate the post-gambit meta. But for me at least thorns active kit was never a great pair for okoye. It works because he is a great battery for her important colors and he has an aoe that can pr9c her black.

IMO the real golden age of okoye partners, however, were the pick 3 third wheels she got in 2019 and beyond once demi learned how to design a characrer to leverage her. Starting with 4s like spiderman 2099, sabretooth, of course polaris, and eventually even in the 5 tier with characters like ihulk. And none of those damage dealers are present in 2018. In fact no one in 2018 is even as good as Medusa as a damage source for okoye.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023
    Options

I’ve been having fun with 4-Panther + Shuri + Valkyrie. Once I build up specials, I can fire Tooth & Claw multiple times and end the battle quickly. The specials get buffed to high heaven!

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Vibraniacs

Very good.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@bbigler said:
    I’ve been having fun with 4-Panther + Shuri + Valkyrie. Once I build up specials, I can fire Tooth & Claw multiple times and end the battle quickly. The specials get buffed to high heaven!

Ooooo good looks! I just beat a 5* team with this. Now I have another team option. Thx so much!

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

Just won two matches in a row with Wa5p, without using a health pack.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Thor was in Class of 2017, and Okoye/Thor was the entire game for like two whole years (or at least, it felt like it).

I will point out that Thorkoye was dominant in a time when there wasn't weekly boosted 5*s. It was a very different time from the game perspective, since there was nothing incentivizing using anything but your best two characters.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

I’m seeing a lot of Ghost Rider/Jessica/Okoye teams from opponents.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

I have to say, I REALLY wish Ghost Rider's hell ride would revert to the original 3 repeaters that gather AP; this new CD is so brittle, i put two of them down in one turn, and both had been matched away by the following turn before they even did anything.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I have to say, I REALLY wish Ghost Rider's hell ride would revert to the original 3 repeaters that gather AP; this new CD is so brittle, i put two of them down in one turn, and both had been matched away by the following turn before they even did anything.

You were the only one who ever ran him before his rework because he was your only champ.
    Let it go already, it's been 84 years 🤣

• entrailbucket
    Options

@GrimSkald said:

@entrailbucket said:

I will point out that Thorkoye was dominant in a time when there wasn't weekly boosted 5*s. It was a very different time from the game perspective, since there was nothing incentivizing using anything but your best two characters.

Oh I know. The other person was talking about how this event didn't have good partners for Okoye -- I was just saying that nobody minded very much at the time, because they used Thor (who was in the 2017 event).

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

You were the only one who ever ran him before his rework because he was your only champ.
    Let it go already, it's been 84 years 🤣

NeverForget UnnerfDanver5Too (i guess hashtags trigger title font lol)

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,102 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Yes, it was much better before and with kitty boosted during this event firing it is just a chance for her to blow it up for damage.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

Running him with Sighclops/Thor to pump his base match damage up worked well, since Hell Ride's nibble did 300% match damage. Anyway maybe we'll get lucky and whoever backslid the Archangel "buff" can accidentally revert hell ride to previous for us too.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 990 Critical Contributor
    Options

I'm running into walls of Kingpin, Kitty, JJ, and/or massive Okoye. This is painful.

• Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Options

I'm running Valkyrie+Kitty with JJ as third. Valkyrie makes strike tiles, Kitty buffs them nicely, I trip JJ's trap tiles, down the enemy goes.
    Skipping the big fat Kingpins for now, with over 200k healthpools he's too much of a monster for me. (Mine are only babychamps).

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,338 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It's amazing how 5Pin went from a joke to a must play, at least for this one event.