Your Favorite Kind Of Tile Obstruction

2»

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

@DrClever said:
    No, I wasn't joking.

I think that really top notch character design would make Inspiration super useful.

I agree, but I think that might be an unpopular opinion. I'd like to see more characters that don't have an obvious best build, where you're trading off something meaningful to build them a certain way.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker

@entrailbucket said:

I agree, but I think that might be an unpopular opinion. I'd like to see more characters that don't have an obvious best build, where you're trading off something meaningful to build them a certain way.

This is the case for Chasm (or at least I can't decide how to spec him) so maybe we don't want that.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

@Timemachinego said:

@entrailbucket said:

This is the case for Chasm (or at least I can't decide how to spec him) so maybe we don't want that.

No, it's one of the good things about him and there should be more of it - making him a good reviver at the cost of nerfing his healing or making you drop AP drain to get boosted match damage would be way more fun.

If all the characters were designed like that it would give a real meaning to getting them champed and being able to respec at will, and it could make match preparation more varied and interesting if you had to work out exactly what you were going to have to counter.

As it is there are very few disagreements about the best builds for most characters, and none really change the flavour, Doop / Echo / Taskmaster a bit, I suppose.

It's a real missed trick IMO

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

The strongest characters can use a 5/5/5 setup. SC, apocalypse, kang, Mthor, ...
    However characters who can use inspiration are forgotten because of many reasons.
    Odin and emma 3* can enable inspiration.
    However you have to bring them in order to get it.
    In odin case it's pretty unreliable, and on emma you have to take in a 3*.
    And BB is slow and expensive.
    If there was a solid character with an easy way to grant inspiration, that could have more weight in the metagame.
    High Evo was a missed chance in this matter, i.e.

• Gymp28
    Gymp28 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2023

I think my favourite pick 2 team is 5* Riri and 5* Jane, because I love the combination of charged tile generation and board shake.
    Random cascades that generate shed loads of AP make me happy!

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2023

Agree it fits with HEvo conceptually.

The problem for me isn't that BB is not strong, it's that Inspiration doesn't do enough to make up for it.

All the characters you list are stronger at 555, and trivially that applies to all everyone in the game but they are all just slightly stronger versions of themselves - what would make Inspiration a real game changer would be characters that become something truly superior at 555 - so that you would really want them.

Imagine a post nerf Chasm that can regain his current powerset at 555, or Thanos getting a full set of stones, Phoenix Force powers activating, permanent invisibility, damage shields, whatever.

You'd want this sort of boost to come at a price - leader type characters (Leader, hmm) being less dynamic or powerful in themselves, like Kings in chess, would make sense.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards

I think a cool rebalance would be for certain leaders to have a passive that gives +1 levels for each affiliated character on their team. I think paying AP for the temp level bump is too much and it should be a passive.

Daredevil:
    “(PASSIVE) Defenders members gain 1 level in all powers (to a max of 5) for each Defenders member on your team”

Cyclops:
    “(PASSIVE) Phoenix Force members gain 1 level in all powers (to a max of 5) for each Phoenix Force member on your team”

Black Panther:
    “(PASSIVE) Wakanda members gain 1 level in all powers (to a max of 5) for each Wakanda member on your team”

Both 5* Professor and 5* Mags would get it for the X-men and so on an so forth.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

Yeah, I mean, you could absolutely make that a totally free passive right now without breaking anything. That's the problem -- very few characters get anything significant from being 5/5/5.