Your Favorite Kind Of Tile Obstruction

UnityGamer
UnityGamer Posts: 41 Just Dropped In

SAP Production - Any ability that results in the user creating a Strike, Attack or Protect tile on the board. Strike tiles increase your damage output, Attack tiles deal post-turn damage, and Protect tiles reduces damage taken.

Trap Management - Any ability that creates or leaves behind trap tiles meant for enemy to match and take surprise defeat. Some characters use trap tiles as tally marks instead of hindrances to their opponent.

Countdown Control - Any ability that results in the user creating a countdown tile that ticks down once per turn, affecting changes to the board or to their characters upon the timer reaching zero.

Tile Manipulation - Any ability where the user disrupts the current nature of the board manually or automatically. Forms of disruption include swapping between two tiles, changing tiles from one color to another, destroying tiles outright, and reshuffling the board.

Tile Locking - Any ability that results in a tile being frozen in place. Tiles above a locked tile are subjected to pass through them unless matched or destroyed.

Tile Fortification - Any ability which blesses a tile with a neon border, ensuring the tile is not removed from play. Matching or destroying these tiles only removes the neon border, effectively giving said tiles "an extra life."

Tile Decoration - Any ability where the user creates a unique tile that serves for many uses. Web tiles are counters for the Spider-Verse (Peter Parker, Gwen Stacy, Miles Morales, Venom variants). As far as I know, this is the only decorative type of tile in the game.

Easter Egg-ing - A special kind of manipulation that requires extra knowledge of the ability in question. 4-star Gwenpool's 'Sploits ability is the only tile-based feature that relies on the player inputting a code. 3-star Deadpool also has an Easter Egg in that if you build up enough points from winning matches with him once per day, his WHALES! WHALES! WHALES! ability can become a one-hit K.O., however this one is not tile-based.

What is your favorite kind of ability that results in obstruction of the board and its tiles - that's the poll question. What is your experience with these kinds of tiles and the abilities that handle them?

Your Favorite Kind Of Tile Obstruction 22 votes

SAP Production
50% 11 votes
Trap Management
4% 1 vote
Countdown Control
4% 1 vote
Tile Manipulation
18% 4 votes
Tile Locking
0% 0 votes
Tile Fortification
4% 1 vote
Easter Egg-ing
18% 4 votes

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,697 Chairperson of the Boards

I'm not understanding the obstruction part.

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker

I think swarm tiles would count as tile decoration as well as web tiles.

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2023

@Borstock said:

Perhaps because you can't see which character tanks the color when there are no basic tiles left in it? idk

P. S.
    I thought this would be about Steam characters obfuscating the corners of the board...

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,072 Chairperson of the Boards

I swear I never got the MPQ terms and language handbook when I downloaded the game. I never thought of tiles being fortified as being "neon" - I quite like the idea of that, it sounds all Blade Runner futuristic.

I also really like how Deadpool's Whales Whales Whales is an option but also not an option.

What about the Shrinking crew and their swarm tiles? Are they tile decoration? Is that what you are doing when you Call the Swarm - painting yourself into the MPQ players life.

Poor Black Bolt and Mighty Thor also want to know where their charge tiles are.

I...I don't know how to answer the question though? Is it which sort of tile is my favourite or which sort of tile do I think looks grooviest or which sort of tile is the best one?

Can we choose "Other"?

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

I like Surfer's Black Hole and I am not worried about that ever being taken out of context.

Abyss tiles I do not like.

• DAZ0273

@DrClever said:
    I like Surfer's Black Hole and I am not worried about that ever being taken out of context.

Abyss tiles I do not like.

Surfer's Black Hole is...no...I can't finish that sentence, I need at least a week between flags...

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

Is "obstruction" the right word for this? I don't understand the question.

• DrClever

It's perhaps more of a poem than a question; don't strive too hard to understand, go with your feelings.

Tiles and coloured lights,
    Like the Café de Hong Kong,
    Before it closed down.

• UnityGamer
    edited August 2023

@entrailbucket said:
    Is "obstruction" the right word for this? I don't understand the question.

@Borstock said:

You know how when you use a power, some of the tiles are changed? That's what I'm talking about here. Maybe obstruction is not the right word here, but I can't think of a better synonym than that. Best to give you some examples:

• Squirrel Girl's Furry Friends turns basic green tiles into green countdown tiles. For each green countdown tile on the board, it destroys a tile, collecting AP each turn. When the countdown expires, you deal damage for each Squirrel tile.
    • Magneto's Magnetized Projectiles swaps pairs of red and blue on the board, dealing damage for each swap.
    • Nico Minoru's Trifecta produces one strike tile, one attack tile and one protect tile on the board. This power only takes affect after she takes damage via her passive When Blood Is Shed...
    • Odin's Protector Of The Nine Realms turns a number of basic tiles into fortified tiles anytime he takes damage. When there are four fortified tiles on the field, Odin's Blessing passive kicks in, a countdown tile that boosts the levels of his teammates so long as it is active.

Stuff like that. What you're doing is dealing damage to or putting status effects on enemies, or giving your allies a little help by messing up the look of the board: either by decorating a tile, destroying a tile or swapping a tile outright. Every character's means of messing up the board is different. As a matter of fact, I don't think there is any character in MPQ who doesn't mess with the board to win - that could be an idea/concept for a future character down the line.

@DAZ0273 said:
    What about the Shrinking crew and their swarm tiles? Are they tile decoration? Is that what you are doing when you Call the Swarm - painting yourself into the MPQ players life.

I totally forgot about that! Ant Man and Wasp place a bug tile on the board which enhances or activates their abilities.

Poor Black Bolt and Mighty Thor also want to know where their charge tiles are.

That could be decorative. But what made it a little tricky was these tiles generate three AP and triple tile damage. It's not truly decorative because it's not property-exclusive like how only Spider-verse characters are allowed to create web tiles. Charge tiles are practically universal: Ironheart, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Shang Chi, 5-star Gambit and 5-star Storm can make them.

I...I don't know how to answer the question though? Is it which sort of tile is my favourite or which sort of tile do I think looks grooviest or which sort of tile is the best one?

You can answer it however you want. I did say "experience with these tiles."

• fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker

This is the biggest obstruction (at least on the PC)

AI on right, your toons on left. Notice Jane's hammer obstruction of the tile. There are numerous toons that do this. Okoye, Jane, Apocalypse.

• Wyntre
    Wyntre Posts: 46 Just Dropped In

Well, I have a LEAST favorite--tile locking. I dread matches where I have to take Quicksilver. Invisible Woman and her bubbles are also irritating.

Anything that gives me fewer options, I dislike.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:

Surfer's Black Hole is...no...I can't finish that sentence, I need at least a week between flags...

Why? Do you have an Inteligent Design in your flag button and when it's overheated it won't work anymore?
    It never happened to me, by the way.

• DAZ0273

@Bad said:

@DAZ0273 said:

Why? Do you have an Inteligent Design in your flag button and when it's overheated it won't work anymore?

My wife said when I showed her the FF panels that I am "a juvenile" and "it took me years to understand your sense of humour" and also something about "I don't know why they put up with you". I was trying to explain that I wasn't advocating that she did the hoovering quietly and that it was "just a joke" but that ended with more words that probably are not allowed here. Tomorrow is her birthday so I need a clean bill of health or the Mods and flags and stuff are the least of my problems.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:

@Bad said:

@DAZ0273 said:

My wife said when I showed her the FF panels that I am "a juvenile" and "it took me years to understand your sense of humour"

You can be glad imo you are lucky.
    My wife I think is still trying to understand mine.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards

Don't forget Doc Ock's Tentacle tiles, or 5trange's Eye of Agamotto tile, or Black Bolt's Inspiration tile.

• UnityGamer

You know what, I just realized. I forgot to put in the Tile Decoration poll option! Poll is ruined. Don't know if I can add that back, or I'll be forced to delete the whole post just to add that option. Mods, I need help. What do I do here?

• DrClever

@TPF Alexis said:
    Don't forget Doc Ock's Tentacle tiles, or 5trange's Eye of Agamotto tile, or Black Bolt's Inspiration tile.

I keep hoping that one day there will be an Inspiration meta.

• Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 590 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2023

So you're basically talking about Tile Effects, rather than obstructions. Or maybe even tile-power effects, as easter egging isn't exactly tile specific but rather the nature of the power itself... No wait, I got it.
    You're actually talking about powers, that affect the tiles (or the board)! You could have just said that...

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023

@DrClever said:

@TPF Alexis said:

I keep hoping that one day there will be an Inspiration meta.

Oh, we tried, when he was still new!

The problem is that very few characters actually get anything appreciable from being 5/5/5, and the ones that do are typically kinda bad in general. I think the designers do this on purpose -- especially during the time when Bolt was released, most characters had a pretty obvious best build.

Edit: so you were joking, obviously. But...there was actually a time when we thought that power might really be worth something, and worked to try and figure out ways to make it worthwhile.

• DrClever

No, I wasn't joking.

I think that really top notch character design would make Inspiration super useful.