Classic Focus Banners

Options
Venomous
Venomous Posts: 234 Tile Toppler

Seems Classic Legends now has a Focus as well as the Latest now. That way those you want specific 5 stars can simply wait until the 5 star they want is the focus character there. To me, this seems Classic Legends may be worth pulling for again. Specially if the focus character happens to be the character you want or need.

Comments

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I think that’s pretty neat. 14x odds makes it certainly reasonable to pull when it’s some one you want. I wonder how often they rotate though, I didn’t see any information about that in game.

• ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 189 Tile Toppler
    Options

Rotating with each season seems reasonable?

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,249 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

there aren't 14x odds of pulling a 5*, just that if you pull a 5* it has 14x odds of being one of those 3. Odds of a 5* pull are ~1:6 compared to the ~1:7 in Latest. there are 3 4* characteres in that pool with those odds too. Are all of ours the same? My 3 are: Crystal/Kamala/OML and Clea/Juggernaut/Karnak right now.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I hate this.

It's objectively better for almost everyone, and that's obviously why they did it, but as someone who was trying to level everyone equally, I don't like being forced into increased odds for certain characters.

Again, I absolutely recognize that I am likely the only one who has this problem -- I still hate it though!

• Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    there aren't 14x odds of pulling a 5*, just that if you pull a 5* it has 14x odds of being one of those 3. Odds of a 5* pull are ~1:6 compared to the ~1:7 in Latest. there are 3 4* characteres in that pool with those odds too. Are all of ours the same? My 3 are: Crystal/Kamala/OML and Clea/Juggernaut/Karnak right now.

Yup. Same characters here. Honestly having it change by season was a guess but it would make sense. They likely will change them out over time it's just a matter of how frequently or when they'll do it. Maybe it'll be weekly?

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I would hope it would be weekly or even biweekly considering it’d take 25 seasons if it’s always only 3 characters with increased odds assuming they didn’t use the same character more than once before getting thru them all. And that number would be even higher for the 4’s obviously.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I want someone with more free time than me to the math on odds, but with classics now offering more total 5* covers (16.67% v. 16%) for a lower per-token cost, AND having the ability to target those pulls at specific characrers I think it just became very hard to justify spending cp on anything else. Everyone gets LTs and they will remain a good way to make sure you get a token cover for new releases that don't have retro feeders, but otherwise it seems like the optimal strat for baby champ rosters just became "hoard CP until a desired character or two becomes focused and then pull till champed."

Not sure what this will mean for those who target level 500+.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,046 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

They also increased the odds from 1/7 to 1/6 to pull a 5. Only 2% more, but every little bit helps.

It's a nice gift to those of us who hoard CP and tokens to go along with the other recent gift of increased favorite shards. Always good to hoard :)

KGB

• Vhailorx
    edited July 2023
    Options

@DevpoolMPQ_BCS said:

@bigjojo04 said:
    I think that’s pretty neat. 14x odds makes it certainly reasonable to pull when it’s some one you want. I wonder how often they rotate though, I didn’t see any information about that in game.

These will be rotating every season :D

A bit disappointing as it will take a LONG time for any given character to be focused. But this still better value than release stores which were effectively the same thing (a monthly store focusing on a few classic characters).

This should be something like a 1.5-3% chance at each focused character (as opposed to 5% in the LT store), plus an extra % chance for everyone else. Not sure exactly how they do the math on "14x odds" so can't be sure of the exact numbers. Fwiw, the current odds page (which has existed since demi did away with a perfectly useful list of odds back in 2015) has always been total **** that barely explains anything at best and is outright misleading at worst.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Hahaha, rotating every season is actually GREAT for me, and not so great for literally everyone else.

...sorry, everyone.

• ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 189 Tile Toppler
    Options

Look at it another way. If you don’t hoard, then having a month to build up CP if classics you need are featured is very helpful. 1 week would not be enough time to get many pulls if something you’re chasing gets featured suddenly.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Vhailorx said:
    I want someone with more free time than me to the math on odds, but with classics now offering more total 5* covers (16.67% v. 16%) for a lower per-token cost, AND having the ability to target those pulls at specific characrers I think it just became very hard to justify spending cp on anything else. Everyone gets LTs and they will remain a good way to make sure you get a token cover for new releases that don't have retro feeders, but otherwise it seems like the optimal strat for baby champ rosters just became "hoard CP until a desired character or two becomes focused and then pull till champed."

I think it's been hard to justify spending CP on anything besides classics for a long time now, at least since the bonus hero odds were increased, but possibly quite a bit before that.

Will people start spending into classics, now that it's probably optimal? I kind of doubt it.

Classic tokens have such an enormous, completely undeserved stink on them from years of uninformed mudslinging that I don't know if they'll ever overcome it. I still see people complaining that Banner is one of the worst 5*, for example, or that Gambit is awful.

• Vhailorx
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Vhailorx said:

I think it's been hard to justify spending CP on anything besides classics for a long time now, at least since the bonus hero odds were increased, but possibly quite a bit before that.

Will people start spending into classics, now that it's probably optimal? I kind of doubt it.

Classic tokens have such an enormous, completely undeserved stink on them from years of uninformed mudslinging that I don't know if they'll ever overcome it. I still see people complaining that Banner is one of the worst 5*, for example, or that Gambit is awful.

Gambit is still pretty awful (unless he has been changed again in the last few months. The last rework I saw was a modest improvement, but he is still not anywhere near good in the modern meta.)

As for classics, they have always been the most efficient way to get 5* covers. The trouble was that back in the day when LT and CP accumulation rates were much lower non-whale players were faced with a choice of (1) focus on LTs and get the 5s covered over the course of months, or (2) maximize efficiency via classics but wait years to cover 5s.

Back in that time LT-over-classics was a very defensible choice. But people have been slow to update their priors as more cp/lts/bonus shards were added to the game.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    Oh the current Gambit IS good.

This. Nobody noticed. Dunno why.

• Vhailorx
    edited July 2023
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

I just dont see it whenever i use him. His new purple is bad for damage output and expensive for tile overwriting. His black is a decent battery, but he still locks out companions. +3 ap per turn is good, but hardly as earth shattering as +6/4 per turn was in 2017. Tools like halfthor, deathlok, HEvo, etc exist now, plus supports.

His revised red is pretty good. It can do 16-41k damage (at 450). But it still costs 8 and requires lots of charged tiles to be on the board to get there. In the current meta I think that's pretty meh. I would way rather use that red on SC, or apoc, Mighty thor, any number of other good red characters that don't lock me out of purple.

Am I missing something?

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,097 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@Bowgentle said:

I just dont see it whenever i use him. His new purple is bad for damage output and expensive for tile overwriting. His black is a decent battery, but he still locks out companions. +3 ap per turn is good, but hardly as earth shattering as +6/4 per turn was in 2017. Tools like halfthor, deathlok, HEvo, etc exist now, plus supports.

His revised red is pretty good. It can do 16-41k damage (at 450). But it still costs 8 and requires lots of charged tiles to be on the board to get there. In the current meta I think that's pretty meh. I would way rather use that red on SC, or apoc, Mighty thor, any number of other good red characters that don't lock me out of purple.

Am I missing something?

Boost week is what you're missing. He's not meta now, no one is going to use him in shield sim, but he's definitely in the good when boosted category now. Last time he was boosted everyone in pvp was running him and he hit very hard with a hundred extra levels on him. He could definitely cause havok if you didn't take him out quickly.

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@DevpoolMPQ_BCS said:

@bigjojo04 said:

A bit disappointing as it will take a LONG time for any given character to be focused. But this still better value than release stores which were effectively the same thing (a monthly store focusing on a few classic characters).

This should be something like a 1.5-3% chance at each focused character (as opposed to 5% in the LT store), plus an extra % chance for everyone else. Not sure exactly how they do the math on "14x odds" so can't be sure of the exact numbers. Fwiw, the current odds page (which has existed since demi did away with a perfectly useful list of odds back in 2015) has always been total **** that barely explains anything at best and is outright misleading at worst.

Currently, with 78 5's in classics, and 14x odds for the focused, The focused 5's will take between 35 and 37 percent of the total 5-star share (between 13.5x and 14.5x). With 14x exactly, about 36%.

And with 1 in 6, it's again between ~18.3% and ~15.5% of 5-stars pulled. Focused 5's should get 5.5%-6.5%
    Each one a third of that.

I'm not sure whether that multiplier will change over time, if the focused odds stay the same, or everything will slowly decrease as new 5's are thrown into classics...

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,806 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DevpoolMPQ_BCS said:

@bigjojo04 said:

I'll send you my Classic list in plenty of time! Cheers Matey!!!