Omega Red discussion

Options
dianetics
dianetics Posts: 1,499 Chairperson of the Boards

Since there’s not a dev post for Omega Red we should try to keep everything in one place.

He’s looking pretty good. Can someone post the powers please so we can discuss it here.

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,805 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

The death spore tile is going to get constantly destroyed by MThor or Kitty, in Kitty's case giving free damage each time it does. His yellow seems like it will work with BRB and they have rainbow coverage (sorry except purple) if you care about that sort of thing. Red could be powerful.

• dianetics
    Options

Red Black Yellow

21263 health at 255.

• MultipleMan98
    MultipleMan98 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options

Guesses to the other 2 5* put in his store next week? I'm saying archangel and samurai daken only because they were all horsemen one stage or another

• nwahs086
    nwahs086 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    edited July 2023
    Options

3 star Omega Red: Sabretooth main feeder, Red Guardian secondary feeder

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Gives me a reason to champ Sabretooth next with my 13 saved covers of him.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

@bigjojo04 said:
    Gives me a reason to champ Sabretooth next with my 13 saved covers of him.

Sabretooth is a great damage boost stacker and decent counter to enemy strike tiles, so I think there was already reason to champ him. But this is extra incentive for sure.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

Omega red seems solid, but he doesn't have the kind of self acceleration or scaling damage that the true meta characrers get. So I anticipate he will be in the "awesome while boosted and merely decent if you build a team around him otherwise" category.

The red active is a pretty good offensive ability, but it's not clear to me that it will stand out among all the good red damage powers in 5* land. Curious to see how the 90% damage boost stacks with other damage boosters.

The black passive is good, but on paper seems to easy to shut down with someone like kitty. Maybe this will play up in practice? If he turns our to be great I think it will be because of this.

The yellow is a fine healing/defensive power. Seems likely to be the dump ability.

• DAZ0273
    edited July 2023
    Options

I took my 1/1/1 into DDQ and his black passive was definitely the stand-out but as is with the case of characters like Apocalypse you won't be able to take him up against MThor and get much joy out of his countdowns or anything she can explode. Likewise his shields.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I’ll wait to pass final judgment until his numbers at 450 level 5 are out, but…..

He looks awesome with both offense and defense, passives and low cost active powers. I couldn’t ask for more. Let’s break it down:

Red - 4 Hits work great with strikes and hitting multiple enemies (if you down one). Plus you have a true heal built in. And it gets stronger and stronger with multiple attacks. So just feed him Red and he’s a wrecking machine (with a true heal!)

Black - passive AOE sounds like IHulk; it starts weak but gets stronger each turn. I also like how it reduces enemy damage more and more. Getting the CD tile to expire makes the reduction permanent too, plus this isn’t disabled by stuns!

Yellow - passive protects tiles are certainly useful. The cheap active to create more is helpful too, but the heal if below 50% is not so good since you want to end the battle near full health, like Okoye and Shang. Sure, some characters like Mthor can beat you up quickly and this would work, but it can’t take him back up to full health, but…..Fire yellow then red and he should be healthy enough.

Overall, his powers build up, which I like. He has both passives and cheap active powers (looks like the devs know what we want). His strongest color destroys - I would pair him with Valkyrie and Melinda in PVE for constant red hits and heals. Of course, Okoye would make him even stronger and Wanda or Colossus would make him more defensive.

On defense, you’ll find yourself chasing his CD tile unless you bring someone to counter it. His yellow heal and protects would be annoying but manageable. I think he’ll turn into a hoard busting character.

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    Options

"missing health become permanent" does that apply to all missing health? in which case I can see it used with 4* carol for easy mortal strike.

also I wonder if black does damage the turn it is created, it changes a lot the evaluation of this power (ie doing 6x or 10x damage over the duration)

• DAZ0273
    Options

His black passive immunity to stun is obviously another Chasm counter which makes me think that whatever happens to Chasm following his "rebalance" it probably won't be anything to do with his opening stun ability? Otherwise why bother to make this power?

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    Options

it also counters any stun, not just chasm. making sure polaris or 1*bw tu are ineffective

• DAZ0273
    Options

@pepitedechocolat said:
    it also counters any stun, not just chasm. making sure polaris or 1*bw tu are ineffective

Yes but the black power is a start of turn passive. Who do we know who can disable that with a stun?

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,046 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Looks like you want an Electro / High Evo team when you face Omega Red because his Black AOE is gonna generate a TON of Yellow to pump High Evo to infinity and beyond.

KGB

• DAZ0273
    edited July 2023
    Options

It only applies to damage caused by his black, hence why you need to have his countdown in play to benefit.

Edit: I just tested this in Puzzle Gauntlet where his black couldn't damage anybody as it needed green matches and there was no permanent reduction from other damage done.

• DAZ0273
    Options

To enjoy your Omega Red the most you'll want to have his animations on as every round it looks as if he is farting.

• SourCream
    SourCream Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options

Black

Red

First test run... random matching.

https://streamable.com/u9d4xz

Better run with a few matches experience.

https://streamable.com/2v9ged

You guys can fill in the blanks, it's too early for me to language.

• DAZ0273
    Options

The second match was pretty impressive.

Would be nice to see up against MThor.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't think he's bad, but I don't think he's in the "usable unboosted" tier.

Getting a free, passive AoE, obviously, immediately means he's usable. Attaching it to something on the board makes it much more "fair" than Hulk and allows Thor to act as a decent counter. I don't think the permanent damage is all that relevant and I still don't get why they overvalue that modifier so much.

His red is a good multi hit power that wants to be boosted. His yellow is probably going to be set to 3 forever but it's perfectly usable, and making it active keeps it relatively balanced even though it's cheap.

The thing that's probably gonna hold him back from total domination is sharing colors with Apocalypse and Okoye. This is probably intentional on the devs' part. He looks like the sort of character we can break with a booster (a multi hit active and a passive AoE), I'm just not sure how he plays with either of the boosters. He'll likely tank over Okoye, which makes that complicated. Apocalypse is much more promising, but I'm not sure I'd pick him over better Apocalypse partners.

• dianetics
    Options

I’ll lay it out like this I fought him in the Shang chi node and he is good.
    He farts every round and you can’t stop the fart.
    I don’t know yet if his repeater double dips but he does consistent medium damage and will be a top tier third for some teams