MPQ Developer Q&A June 2023 (ANSWERS)

Options
124»

Comments

• MrDupaTM
    MrDupaTM Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options

Hey, I have an easy question (it’s couple questions in one - pick one to answer) - what are you doing to balance the game?

Why are we forced to use the same 3-5 characters to be competitive? Why does it take forever to find a counter for Chasm? (easy task)?

Why do you keep adjusting the older characters to being the match damage to the newer? Can’t you see it only widens the gap between the 4* and 5*? Wouldn’t it make sense to tone down the newer characters’ match damage for the balancing reasons?

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@MrDupaTM said:
    Hey, I have an easy question (it’s couple questions in one - pick one to answer) - what are you doing to balance the game?

Why are we forced to use the same 3-5 characters to be competitive? Why does it take forever to find a counter for Chasm? (easy task)?

Why do you keep adjusting the older characters to being the match damage to the newer? Can’t you see it only widens the gap between the 4* and 5*? Wouldn’t it make sense to tone down the newer characters’ match damage for the balancing reasons?

It's not just the match damage, the HP inflation is crazy too. Look at boosted 5* DD compared to new 5*s. I wish HP would go down across the board instead of up

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,954 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@MrDupaTM said:

It's not just the match damage, the HP inflation is crazy too. Look at boosted 5* DD compared to new 5*s. I wish HP would go down across the board instead of up

I don't understand why they can't just batch update every single 5* to have "modern" health and match damage, instead of doing one at a time (at an absolutely glacial pace) while reworking their powers too.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@MrDupaTM said:

Hi @MrDupaTM - might be worth picking one and asking on the July questions thread. I think there's a clever way of putting all the sub questions off the second question into one if that helps (and I think it's a great question).

• Scofie
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@MrDupaTM said:

Reducing all the health of every character would be problematic. Others will remember better than I but wasn't there a devaluing of power when 3* champs were created and a lot of complaints?

5* health and damage power creep has been going on for so long that rolling back would be very difficult and it would be a massive shift in the balance of the game.

• Scofie
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@MrDupaTM said:

I don't understand why they can't just batch update every single 5* to have "modern" health and match damage, instead of doing one at a time (at an absolutely glacial pace) while reworking their powers too.

Something to do with the power index. If they're reworking powers anyway it will affect HP and damage as those are supposed to offset the higher geared power sets.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Scofie said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@MrDupaTM said:

Reducing all the health of every character would be problematic. Others will remember better than I but wasn't there a devaluing of power when 3* champs were created and a lot of complaints?

5* health and damage power creep has been going on for so long that rolling back would be very difficult and it would be a massive shift in the balance of the game.

There was an initial bump of 3* max levels from ~142 to 166 at one point, before champ levels. There was also an overall health revamp of the full 3* tier except The Hood, Loki, Daken, and Patch, which caused some feedback as well.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,163 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

@Scofie said:

They (both D3 and BCS) should have stuck to the original plan for 5* in that health and match damage would be based on that character's function, like attacker, tank, support. That's why Phoenix originally had lower match damage than OML and BSSM. That went out the window pretty quickly though. I've been tracking 5* match damage numbers; for some reason there was a huge bump with Iceman's numbers. Not sure why it was seen fit to have 5* number creep as well; you don't see that in the 3* or 4* tiers.

The current match damage numbers don't exceed 1068/949/831. It'll be difficult to roll back all the numbers, but one solution would be to use this as the ceiling, and balance all the 5* who haven't been rebalanced in line with the aforementioned attacker/tank/support/whatever function. So attackers could be 1068/949/831 with lower health; tanks' match damage would be in the 800 range with notably higher health; supports could be in the 900 range with moderate health etc

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@rainkingucd said:

@Scofie said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@MrDupaTM said:

There was an initial bump of 3* max levels from ~142 to 166 at one point, before champ levels. There was also an overall health revamp of the full 3* tier except The Hood, Loki, Daken, and Patch, which caused some feedback as well.

The overall health bump was all tiers, except specific characters like 2* Wolv, 2* Daken, OBW, XFW.

The main complaints though we're actually the increases health caused matches to be longer, which is why I stated above that I wish they would stop with the health inflation. Look at 3* High Evolution vs 3* Ironman, the difference is double