Hilarious DDQ CotT

2»

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards

@Bowgentle said:
    Magneto is a really terrible match up.
    You basically have to get a match 5 to win that.

You just need the right supports. Anything that gives you specials will work. Then once you go invisible every match buffs them. I used Chewie but really a lot of supports will work, 4* Lockheed, 5* Destroyer Gun, 1* Element Guns, 1* QuinJet, etc.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor

Prof X was the first Crash I won, EVER.

he was under levelled, but I got him invisible and that was I eventually won. this was before supports existed.

Now, if you have a support on that creates an attack/strike tile (like, Chewie). you'll breeze through it.

I completely disagree. Both of these COTT are fantastic highlights of the character (vs Elektra) or supports (vs Mags).

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,072 Chairperson of the Boards

Why exactly is Prof fighting Elektra though? Seems an odd match up.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

"Fantastic highlights" is a bit much.

• meteor0905
    meteor0905 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    edited June 2023

baby champed 4px ,4* pocket radio + dmg boost 50%,go invis and done

• DAZ0273

At the risk of being hung drawn and quartered "Go invisible" is surely only just behind "stun" as MPQ's most boring go to win tactic, so the fact that without all of the Supports and other fiffle faffle Prof does essentially nothing even when invisible unless you have luck makes him a boring choice for not one but two of these. I also have that nostalgia for Prof being my first CotT win too but that was like ages ago and I am over it now. LT's are banked though so I don't really have any hills left to die on.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:

Because she makes strike tiles for you. At the time, I think she was the only character who did that. This fight is really old.

• DAZ0273

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

Because she makes strike tiles for you. At the time, I think she was the only character who did that. This fight is really old.

Not the answer I was looking for but no doubt the correct one.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,379 Chairperson of the Boards

I feel like in those old matchups, they would try to pit you against characters who were chasing your colors as well. Magneto is more of a thematic adversary; i assume allowing him to crush the teamups would potentially give you better odds of a match-5?

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards

Overall 4* PX vs Magneto isn't really a bad matchup. Yes, its gets stalled fast and becomes a chasm like slog fest. But one or two match 5 will reliably end the match, so its not really a battle of immortals. But I absolutely agree that the powers sets matchup in a weird way that results in tedious matches that don't have enough board control to make match 5s reasonably attainable. It results in negative experience that turns off casual players.

The younger optimistic version of my self would say that, the DEVS need to be actively curating these matchups. However, we all know the devs will never take the time to actually curate our mpq experiences.

But we can easily address this with a simple fix. You technically have a week to do the CoTT node. The current behavior is static. I.e. The Cott node is fixed for the week. My suggestion is have an alternate CoTT matchup for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th day etc.

This would be easy implement because you only need to to increment the opponent by 1 for each successive day. You could even implement 2 separate Cott enemy loops based on:

day 1 cott is only old 4* that have been released x number years.
    day 2 cott might require new 4* that have had lots of cover drops.

The idea is that players can reasonable expect to select a simpler cott matchup vs see what the algorithm comes up with.

This would have been a gret 1v1 matchup for puzzle quest. But a terrible match for a casual everyday event like COT.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I feel like in those old matchups, they would try to pit you against characters who were chasing your colors as well. Magneto is more of a thematic adversary; i assume allowing him to crush the teamups would potentially give you better odds of a match-5?

Sort of. These fights were all curated in the past -- for generally strong characters, they got a thematic opponent. For the weird or weak guys (like PX, who doesn't really do anything 1-on-1), they picked non-thematic matchups where you could actually win. Some of the opponents are nerfed, too -- they're missing certain covers or depowered from champion builds.

I'm not sure how the second opponent was chosen when they added the second Crash fight. I think there was less care taken with those.