Known Issue: Moondragon Taking AoE Damage

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
edited June 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

We're aware of an issue with Moondragon mistakenly taking AoE/team damage that should be shunted instead to her teammates. This issue will be fixed in R280.

In the meantime, with tomorrow's data patch, we'll be making it so that she simply doesn't take AoE damage at all (unless her allies are down. In which case, it's not really AoE damage anyway). This does mean that outgoing AoE damage will be weaker than it should otherwise be, but we figure that's better than having her taking the damage in the first place.

IE:
Now
Moondragon, Spider-Gwen, and Wolverine take 1000 AoE damage. Each character takes 1000 damage. Total 3000 damage.
Tomorrow evening (6/16)
Moondragon, Spider-Gwen, and Wolverine take 1000 AoE damage. Spider-Gwen and Wolverine take 1000 damage each, Moondragon shrugs. Total 2000 damage.
R280
Moondragon, Spider-Gwen, and Wolverine take 1000 AoE damage. Spider-Gwen and Wolverine take 1000 damage each, Moondragon hands her 1000 damage to either Spider-Gwen or Wolverine randomly. Total 3000 damage.

Comments

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 233 Tile Toppler

example seems off, you misspelled Chasm "spider gwen" and ihulk "wolverine" >:)

(thx for the quick fix and visibility)

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

Why can't you just leave it as is, instead of us missing out on damage?

• St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor

@pepitedechocolat said:
    example seems off, you misspelled Chasm "spider gwen" and ihulk "wolverine" >:)

(thx for the quick fix and visibility)

Not sure that I share your gratitude for this "fix".

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin

@Punisher5784 said:
    Why can't you just leave it as is, instead of us missing out on damage?

As-is, it's not working properly, the shunting part of the Passive isn't working like it should. As of tomorrow, it'll be overpowered, she literally won't be taking a source of damage she should be. We could leave it that way, but we'd have to take that from somewhere else, and total immunity to damage is a bit "expensive" in balance budget. So she'd be losing quite a bit elsewhere. 280 will be setting her to her intended state.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

So, is the Chasm/Hulk/Moondragon team completely unkillable? Will it be completely unkillable after the fix, then? Has anybody tested it yet?

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 233 Tile Toppler

@entrailbucket said:
    So, is the Chasm/Hulk/Moondragon team completely unkillable? Will it be completely unkillable after the fix, then? Has anybody tested it yet?

currently she takes full aoe damage so kinda not an issue. will be interesting with the fix... in all cases they could be kanged

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards

@Bowgentle said:
    I'm sorry but why didn't anyone notice this during testing?

I have noticed that a lot of new abilities (be it changes to existing characters like 5* magneto or totally new characters) are bugged from the get-go.

Whether that implies a lack of testing, or the underlying code just doesn’t make sense to the developers…. I afraid I have no answers.

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards

@Bowgentle said:

What is this "testing" that you speak of? Could you kindly explain? Seems like it would be something that may be beneficial.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 798 Critical Contributor

@DarthDeVo said:

@Bowgentle said:

What is this "testing" that you speak of? Could you kindly explain? Seems like it would be something that may be beneficial.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe "testing" is an old old wooden ship

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards

@ThisisClemFandango said:

@DarthDeVo said:

@Bowgentle said:

Yes, used during the Civil War.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,167 Chairperson of the Boards

@ThisisClemFandango said:

@DarthDeVo said:

@Bowgentle said:

Nope, it's a mythical server where everything always 'works as designed'

KGB

• allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler

Is the expectation from the devs that Moondragon would take self-team damage from an iHulk revive? Or would she shunt that damage back into one her teammates?

• St_Bernadus

Her power says if Moondragon would take damage so she should transfer it to an ally.

• WhiteBomber
    WhiteBomber Posts: 302 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2023

Apparently I type a lot lately. I'll start with I appreciate the communication, as well as the fix, especially if she is stronger for a short while (unless of course it's more broken, like note with revivers). Hoping to hear more fixes soon!

I have worked in the industry for roughly 15 years now (most of it leading gameplay QA teams) and if there is any context I can provide, it is that this process varies drastically depending on the studio. In many instances QA actually does catch the bugs you experience, but it is chosen to not be fixed for one reason or another.

The fact that they are fixing this one so quickly, leaves us with some potentials:
    1. The change may have come in too fast to try and meet a deadline
    2. The content was tested without all of the latest changes, and new sneaky code or data caused the break
    3. It just wasn't caught, which would be very concerning for how obvious of a test this should have been for this character

@IceIX I'm not sure how you all are handling QA over there, but if you are short handed (or unfortunately staffed) you should lean on this community to help with testing. The people who are most passionate, are generally going to be able to easier point out potential risk.

It's worth a shot:
    @QA: If you monitor these forums, peruse the comments and concerns from people here on the new character posts. In this instance, I believe someone here even noted the potential risk of team damage with this character.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2023

I think they'd have a really hard time finding players to help with power level testing. The most invested players (the Line people, not the ones here) wait for them to make power level mistakes and then max out those characters so they can win everything forever. That group always likes to suggest that they can help out with balancing and evaluating new characters -- I wonder why?

Players could probably help with testing for bugs, though, but I think the problem there is Marvel. The NDAs required for their license are pretty crazy. I remember Demiurge posted here about getting to see one of the movies early, and the security required for that was completely insane.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2023

@entrailbucket said:
    I think they'd have a really hard time finding players to help with power level testing. The most invested players (the Line people, not the ones here) wait for them to make power level mistakes and then max out those characters so they can win everything forever. That group always likes to suggest that they can help out with balancing and evaluating new characters -- I wonder why?

Players could probably help with testing for bugs, though, but I think the problem there is Marvel. The NDAs required for their license are pretty crazy. I remember Demiurge posted here about getting to see one of the movies early, and the security required for that was completely insane.

Power level testing is way too advanced for the state new characters launch right now.
    For the moment it would be more than enough to test new characters against the say, 6 top teams in PVP and see if something breaks.
    They're obviously not even doing that right now, because an interaction of a char that deflects AOE with someone who does AOE should be the first thing you test.

• allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler

@St_Bernadus said:
    Her power says if Moondragon would take damage so she should transfer it to an ally.

If that’s the case, without a character to stun or send her away, a one purple cover Moondragon and a iHulk would be literally unbeatable.

• St_Bernadus

@allen_koholic said:

@St_Bernadus said:

If that’s the case, without a character to stun or send her away, a one purple cover Moondragon and a iHulk would be literally unbeatable.

That is what it says but maybe not how it works. Hopefully.

• _TrashPanda
    _TrashPanda Posts: 97 Match Maker

@St_Bernadus said:

@allen_koholic said:

@St_Bernadus said:

That is what it says but maybe not how it works. Hopefully.

Nope. Unfortunately that is how it works. Just tested it out. Luckily had a mbw tu.