Health packs

Speed283
Speed283 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler

I have noted that ever since I was able to get higher in this game, my usage of health packs is alarming. With Dr Thor/Shang, Chasm/Ihulk and lately, Kang/Hit Monkey, EVERY battle has resulted in using numerous health packs! When I first got these characters I had over 300 of them…I am now below 100!
Am I using these combinations incorrectly, or is that just where the game has progressed?
If so, I call **** on MPQ! Plus, the Dr Thor/Shang combo seems to be, at best, a 60/40 chance of winning …60% in the opponents favor!

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,072 Chairperson of the Boards

You know you get free ones right?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2023

Live by the ShangJane, die by the ShangJane.
    You're rolling the dice every match, maybe not a great idea to mirror that.

Also, why do people keep hoarding Health Packs?
    They're there to be used, why else would they regenerate.

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker

It’s seems like a lot of people like to hoard everything in this game, including health packs. I used to be a lot stingier in the past about using them but after seeing how easy it was to replenish them I no longer have an urge to hoard them until the end of time.

That being said, i don’t think I’ve dipped below 40 health packs at any point in the past year or so.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,586 Chairperson of the Boards

I hoard health packs. If I want to push a fast climb in pvp I might run through 50 in 20 minutes. Normally I play slow, but if the clock is pushing me and I’m looking for placement I’ll just use a nuke team and heal every round.

I just got back above 500 health packs, and this is where I feel comfortable.

• Bowgentle

You're all crazy.
    I wouldn't even know what team of mine could use 50 packs in 20 minutes.

• DAZ0273

I hit 300 Taco tokens a while back and so decided to open them so ended up with treble figure health packs and it is taking me forever to burn through them. I can't even contemplate hoarding them on purpose, lol!

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,167 Chairperson of the Boards

Healthpacks are the most annoying part of MPQ. Especially since the game forces you to burn yours before you burn the free ones.

VIP should shower you with healhpacks or at the very least let you pick between healthpacks, ISO, HP etc. I'd also like the random rewards to include healthpacks too.

KGB

• Bowgentle
    edited June 2023

...why?
    You learn to play pvp and pve with your ten packs.
    At worst, buy some.
    You're not supposed to PVP for six hours straight.
    I don't understand how you guys play, I guess.

• DAZ0273

I also really, really wanna know what the endgame is for the player in the brag about how much stuff you got thread is for their 4000+ standard tokens.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

Every single game like this has a "stamina" bar or something similar that limits playtime. It's meant to be annoying (so you'll pay to play more) and it's not at all unique. It will never go away.

That said, MPQ has one of the most generous stamina bars out there. Most of these games lock you out after far less playtime than MPQ does, and don't provide the sorts of workarounds that MPQ does.

• Bowgentle

@entrailbucket said:
    Every single game like this has a "stamina" bar or something similar that limits playtime. It's meant to be annoying (so you'll pay to play more) and it's not at all unique. It will never go away.

That said, MPQ has one of the most generous stamina bars out there. Most of these games lock you out after far less playtime than MPQ does, and don't provide the sorts of workarounds that MPQ does.

Also, WHY would you want to play all day, using packs???
    Tapping was awful enough, and that didn't need packs.

• KGB

It's only 5 free packs, not 10.

No idea how anyone else plays but with family and other pursuits in life, I tend to play MPQ in bunches. As in 60-90 minute play times. After that I might not play again for an entire day or if I play again it will be 12 hrs later type thing to do final clears.

So when I play, esp PvP, I tend to use healthpacks in bunches. So 5 just isn't enough for me many times to get where I want to reach in my play session. No idea what the theoretical max regen per 24 hrs is (but lets say you could potentially regenerate 20 in a day), but I'd prefer the game give you a daily limit each day of say 20 and let me spend how I please rather than making me try and come back multiple times a day looking to see if packs have regenerated.

KGB

P.S. Note that more healthpacks eliminates troll teams in PvP that aren't designed to win, but rather to annoy the attacker by draining their packs. If players got more packs (esp via PvP) that reduces troll teams which should be a good thing.

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker

I just skip teams that I know will force me to use 1-3 health packs after every single match. But then I also don't play PVP competitively (because the game eventually matches me up with only these teams.)

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

I don't think there are very many other games in this genre (mobile, free to play) that let you play for 90 minutes straight in one sitting without paying for the privilege somehow.

I think this particular business model is on the decline, but it's part of the deal -- and again, MPQ has never pretended to be anything but a classic example of the genre.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,210 Chairperson of the Boards

@KGB said:
    It's only 5 free packs, not 10.

No idea how anyone else plays but with family and other pursuits in life, I tend to play MPQ in bunches. As in 60-90 minute play times. After that I might not play again for an entire day or if I play again it will be 12 hrs later type thing to do final clears.

So when I play, esp PvP, I tend to use healthpacks in bunches. So 5 just isn't enough for me many times to get where I want to reach in my play session. No idea what the theoretical max regen per 24 hrs is (but lets say you could potentially regenerate 20 in a day), but I'd prefer the game give you a daily limit each day of say 20 and let me spend how I please rather than making me try and come back multiple times a day looking to see if packs have regenerated.

KGB

P.S. Note that more healthpacks eliminates troll teams in PvP that aren't designed to win, but rather to annoy the attacker by draining their packs. If players got more packs (esp via PvP) that reduces troll teams which should be a good thing.

No, it is 10. I don't hoard my packs and use them up most days. After my health packs are down to zero they will replenish themselves up to 10 in time.

• DAZ0273

Definitely 10.

• Bowgentle

Yeah it's 10, with one pack every 35 minutes.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

I hoard healthpacks but I've been doing that my entire gaming life. Those old school RPGs where you barely received healthpacks or money to buy them is the reason. I always relied on cure magic (like true heal characters in MPQ). Finishing FFIV with 999 potions is an accomplishment lol

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor

It was 5 a long time ago, but they changed it to 10 (also a long time ago, but not quite as long).

• KGB

@entrailbucket said:
    I don't think there are very many other games in this genre (mobile, free to play) that let you play for 90 minutes straight in one sitting without paying for the privilege somehow.

I think this particular business model is on the decline, but it's part of the deal -- and again, MPQ has never pretended to be anything but a classic example of the genre.

I do pay. I'm a VIP member so they are getting 10 month from me. I was free to play for years till they gave the 3 star deadpool costume as a reward for joining. I think they gave another one a few months later. Now they are back to doing that again. In between all that, I stayed VIP even though there was nothing in the package that mattered (the resources didn't change anything for me) and the only other thing I wanted (besides costumes) was more health packs. So I hope the continue to upgrade VIP to do more things like extra healthpacks or choose your VIP reward so I could opt into health packs over things I don't want/need.

KGB