AAPI Month Vault Daily Tokens

Options
ShionSinX
ShionSinX Posts: 61 Match Maker
edited May 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

Are we getting them through the whole month like the Black History Month vault or only for half of it like Women's History Month?

Wanted to know how many daily deals I should be looking for if I want to buy the whole vault out.

Comments

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 441 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2023
    Options

You can get daily tokens by playing specific characters. DevPool replied on Reddit:

Vaults and token rewards are two different things. That is to say that not all vaults are released with freely available tokens via some means. What we’d like to do for vaults that do have tokens available via things like daily plays is bake that information into an info section for the vault itself. Cool things for a later time.

To answer your question, the upcoming daily play characters for the AAPI vault are:

Wong (Sorcerer Supreme)

Shang-Chi (Origin)

The Hulk (Totally Awesome)

Silk (Cindy Moon)

Nico Minoru (Runaways)

Colleen Wing (Heroes for Hire)

Jubilee (Uncanny X-Men)

Quake (Daisy Johnson)

Melinda May (Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.)

Wolverine (Samurai Daken)

Kamala Khan (Origin)

Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel)

Daken (Classic)

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/1365o4s/special_vaults_explained/

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
    Options

Got one for using Daken today in DDQ. Didn't get one yesterday, but I don't know if the vault was up by then.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

vault was up but for some reason the free tokens only started today.

• ShionSinX
    ShionSinX Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options

@Bzhai said:
    You can get daily tokens by playing specific characters.

Yes, but thats not the question. It was the same for the other two recent vaults I mentioned, but for one we got free tokens the whole month and for the other the free tokens stopped halfway through.

Which way will it be is my question.

• StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options

@DevpoolMPQ_BCS said:
    The daily play tokens for AAPI are slated to run for the entire month.

Ah... the MPQ 'month' that starts on the 3rd? (Or the 'women's month' that lasted all of 3 weeks?) o:)

I did not get a token yesterday for using Silk, today with Shang-Chi I did get one. Still, I'm grateful for the freebies, so thank you!

• Eirikr56
    Eirikr56 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options

There wasn't one after the first day so I bought the vault, now I can only open them at the end when it will just be a random pull for each token. I guess I am penalized for buying tokens? Seems like the game should incentivize buying vaults and spending HP instead of the opposite.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'd MUCH rather have the post-event pulls, because you're not limited to one of each reward. If you have 5 post-event pulls you can get 5 of the same 5* shards, which isn't possible in a vault unless you spend HP to reset.

• Eirikr56
    Eirikr56 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2023
    Options

Sure, but you can also get red ISO over and over again. If you are hoping for a particular reward you have a much higher chance of getting it by pulling from the same vault. That's why people hoard tokens often for vaults such as the taco ones.

• entrailbucket
    Options

If you're going for 100% certainty of getting a particular reward, in a lootbox-based, RNG driven game like this, it just seems like setting yourself up for failure/disappointment. There are tons of really fun games that don't have that aspect, and this one has never pretended to be anything but a totally random reward slot-machine.

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options

I used my free token and then bought a 40-pack not realizing I could earn more free ones. The vault can't be reset though, so guess I'm stockpiling for next year.

• Wolvie171
    Wolvie171 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Eirikr56 said:
    Sure, but you can also get red ISO over and over again. If you are hoping for a particular reward you have a much higher chance of getting it by pulling from the same vault. That's why people hoard tokens often for vaults such as the taco ones.

This. Hoarding increases the likelihood of pulling a particular reward through the sheer number of pulls. Yes, this game is heavily RNG-based but despite it, players have adopted strategies to overcome the challenges that come with it.

• entrailbucket
    Options

I don't know that I'd classify the totally-obvious, not-at-all-disguised, completely random nature of this game as a "challenge" that one would need to "overcome."

Uncertainty/gambling/randomness is a key feature of this game -- if you don't like rolling the dice and either winning or losing...there are tons of games that aren't built that way. Again, it just seems like repeatedly setting yourself up for disappointment. Is that why some folks are always so mad?

• Wolvie171
    edited May 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    I don't know that I'd classify the totally-obvious, not-at-all-disguised, completely random nature of this game as a "challenge" that one would need to "overcome."

Uncertainty/gambling/randomness is a key feature of this game -- if you don't like rolling the dice and either winning or losing...there are tons of games that aren't built that way. Again, it just seems like repeatedly setting yourself up for disappointment. Is that why some folks are always so mad?

Now we're getting into semantics? OK using your same reasoning, I don't believe that uncertainty/gambling/randomness is a "feature" of this game. It is an inherent part of games that use loot boxes to advance gameplay, but nobody plays this game for this "feature." That is not what attracted me to MPQ.

If it wasn't totally obvious, MPQ has far outlasted many others due to its success in uniting a card-collecting game with Marvel-licensed characters. If it weren't for the Marvel angle, MPQ would just be another Candy Crush imitator.

See what I did there? We don't have to always agree, but please let's not resort to condescension simply because my viewpoint does not agree with yours.

• entrailbucket
    Options

I wasn't arguing semantics, and I wasn't saying the randomness is a feature in that sense. Randomness is an inherent attribute of the game (a better word for what I was saying than "feature") that's been there since Day 1, and nobody's ever tried to hide it. It's a lootbox game and they've never tried to sell it as anything but.

If you don't like the lootbox part, or you spend all your time and effort in-game fighting against the randomness of it all...well, that just doesn't seem very fun to me. It seems to be setting yourself up for disappointment -- you want the game to be something it's clearly not, and in fact, you want it to be something it's never pretended to be.

That's fine, I mean, play however you want, but when randomness is described as "punishment," I see that as having unrealistic expectations.

So yeah, I actually like that rewards in this game are mostly random, and the gambling aspect of it actually does appeal to me. That's why I'd rather have 100 1% chances at something vs 1 100% chance. It means I could win 100 times in a row! (Even though on some level I know I won't, but that's why gambling is fun!)

• Wolvie171
    Options

How do you know what I want out of this game or what constitutes fun for me? Is this Hound?

Please stop putting words that I didn't use. Nowhere did anybody describe randomness as "punishment." I recognize, as many others do, that the random nature of this game makes it difficult (a better word for what I was saying than "challenge") to obtain the rewards that this game dangles in front of players; however, that doesn't prevent me from enjoying the game and learning ways to beat the odds (a better word for what I was saying than "overcome").

• entrailbucket
    edited May 2023
    Options

The poster before you, who started this whole thing, said he was being punished.

Edit: sorry, the word in question was "penalized." C'mon, though, I was pretty close!

I didn't say it wasn't fun for you, I said it didn't sound like fun to me. If you enjoy the random aspects of the game as a mountain to climb, then go for it!

I guess I don't understand folks like the previous poster complaining about the randomness, then -- if they enjoy battling it, why would they want less of it to battle? If anything, more randomness would mean more fun -- working even harder to overcome it.

Also I really, really don't get why you think I'm being hostile or condescending...I reread everything I wrote and I'm not picking up any of that. If anything, you seem to be putting words into my mouth, or reading context into stuff that's not there.

• Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Just wondering, is there also some random a/b testing stuff going on here too? Game is fully updated, and I STILL cannot get an AAPI token. Tried Shang and Wong and Daken so far, in both Puzzle Ops and PvP. Nothing at all. Am I the only one still affected? If so, I'll submit a ticket, but on the off chance it's not just me there might be something further to be looked at. @DevpoolMPQ_BCS

• Wolvie171
    edited May 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    The poster before you, who started this whole thing, said he was being punished.

I didn't say it wasn't fun for you, I said it didn't sound like fun to me. If you enjoy the random aspects of the game as a mountain to climb, then go for it!

I guess I don't understand folks like the previous poster complaining about the randomness, then -- if they enjoy battling it, why would they want less of it to battle? If anything, more randomness would mean more fun -- working even harder to overcome it.

Also I really, really don't get why you think I'm being hostile or condescending...I reread everything I wrote and I'm not picking up any of that. If anything, you seem to be putting words into my mouth, or reading context into stuff that's not there.

To understand why I felt the hostility from you, let's follow the chain of events:

1. I was replying to Eirikr56 in regards to hoarding as a means to beat RNG. Hoarding is a well-known and popular strategy used by many players of the game.

@Wolvie171 said:

@Eirikr56 said:

This. Hoarding increases the likelihood of pulling a particular reward through the sheer number of pulls. Yes, this game is heavily RNG-based but despite it, players have adopted strategies to overcome the challenges that come with it.

1. You chose to respond to mine, questioning semantics to make it "totally-obvious" that if you/we/I don't like rolling the dice, there are other games to play instead:

@entrailbucket said:

1. I answered back and in response, you stated that "you want the game to be something it's clearly not... you want it to be something it's never pretended to be" to which I asked how do you know what I want this game to be:

@entrailbucket said:
    I wasn't arguing semantics, and I wasn't saying the randomness is a feature in that sense. Randomness is an inherent attribute of the game (a better word for what I was saying than "feature") that's been there since Day 1, and nobody's ever tried to hide it. It's a lootbox game and they've never tried to sell it as anything but.

If you don't like the lootbox part, or you spend all your time and effort in-game fighting against the randomness of it all...well, that just doesn't seem very fun to me. It seems to be setting yourself up for disappointment -- you want the game to be something it's clearly not, and in fact, you want it to be something it's never pretended to be.

That's fine, I mean, play however you want, but when randomness is described as "punishment," I see that as having unrealistic expectations.

Those were your exact words. I have not added anything, but if I did put words into your mouth, do show me where.

Edit to add: Nobody is saying that the random nature is a turn-off that is discouraging players from the game. In fact, the very mention of it is an acknowledgment and implicit understanding that it exists in many aspects of the game.

• entrailbucket
    Options

So, like, isn't the "random nature" of the game "a turn-off" for the player who explicitly said he was being "penalized" by the random nature of these post vault tokens?

I still honestly have no idea what you're taking issue with here. Again, I see nothing condescending or hostile. I'm explaining what I think, and why I have trouble understanding what some others are doing or thinking. All those posts are full of qualifiers like "it seems to me" and "I think" and none of them (barring inarguable points like the game's randomness) say "this is" or "here are facts."