Is Arcade bugged?

Options
Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,924 Chairperson of the Boards

So, in reading Arcade’s power descriptions I remember why I stopped writing my rankings guide. The way his powers are written are so confusing. So I’m doing a lot of testing myself and realized that when the enemy matches my trap tile, they get their normal AP from the match (good), then lose one immediately (also good). However, before the turn is over, they get back 2 AP in the color they lost one in. So rather than suppressing the enemy like they should, my traps are fueling them! Is this a bug? If so it’s a pretty big drawback to using him unless it gets fixed.

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,972 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Is Kang there, maybe? Anybody else who might generate AP on their team? I didn't even realize Arcade screwed around with AP, I'd never have noticed this.

• Daredevil217
    Options

It’s not in any power description but when you click on his traps themselves. The damage is tied to number of purple covers by the way.

Gahhh it was one of those Doombots in DDQ. I thought it was Doom himself. Tricky Victor!

• Daredevil217
    edited March 2023
    Options

Also, I have to be honest. I have no idea how this purple works:

For each Murderworld Trap tile on the board, deal X damage to a random enemy; if it matches the Control Room's color, deal double damage and destroy a random adjacent tile. For every 2 on the board, destroy a surrounding random tile.

1. What does the bolded “it” refer to above? If the tile you choose matches the color of the control tile already on the board? Or is it saying that when calculating damage, any tiles that match the color count for double damage?

2. Is it one slug of damage or several hits? My 5* Arcade took out the entire wave when I fired purple.

3. Adjacent tile… adjacent to what? I chose black (where the red circle is). There were 4 Black traps on the board (not including the newly formed control room trap which is the green circle). Three of the black traps ended up getting destroyed. One remained untouched. Three blue basic tiles, a teamup and a green trap also got destroyed. Trying to figure out what happened lol.

4. Similarly… surrounding tiles… surrounding what? I’m assuming that 6 tiles should’ve been destroyed total. 4 for having 4 Black traps out, and 2 more for the “for every two tiles clause”. Instead it looks like 8 were destroyed and I can’t tell which ones and why.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,972 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I just read that power again and now I have less of an idea about what it's supposed to do.

• Daredevil217
    edited March 2023
    Options

Like that black trap in the lower right corner… I have no idea why it got destroyed based on the power description. I figured since I chose black, a tile adjacent to it would blow up, not the tile itself (and it’s not adjacent to any other traps).

My next developer FAQ will likely be to ask them to explain the math on that purple.

• AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:

For each Murderworld Trap tile on the board, deal X damage to a random enemy; if it matches the Control Room's color, deal double damage and destroy a random adjacent tile. For every 2 on the board, destroy a surrounding random tile.

1. What does the bolded “it” refer to above? If the tile you choose matches the color of the control tile already on the board? Or is it saying that when calculating damage, any tiles that match the color count for double damage?

It starts off by saying "choose a color and place a Control Room Trap tile" before any of that. From my understanding, when you fire purple, you select the new Control Room tile color first and then it applies these things. As a result, any trap on the board that matches the color you picked gives double damage. So in short, for purple to do the most damage, just pick the color that has the most trap tiles on the board.
    An example from 3* Arcade, from today: I had 8 tiles on the board, 4 of which were red. No control room tile (it got matched.) My 3* Arcade does ~1k damage per tile. I fired purple, chose red. He should now do around 12k damage randomly between the enemies-- 2* 4* 1k (=8k) from red + 4* 1k (=4k) from other colors = 12k, which seemed to happen.

1. Is it one slug of damage or several hits? My 5* Arcade took out the entire wave when I fired purple.

I play with 3* Arcade in DDQ regularly, and it also usually gives me one big AoE hit on purple. So I think it gets combined into 1 hit.

Not too sure about the destroyed tiles myself.

• qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Who do you pair Arcade with? I use SWitch, Daken and Bullseye and it usually works well, but I would really like to try Arcade.

• AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Arcade/Thanos. 3* Arcade is a damage machine-- I like to beeline for his black (though his purple also hits really hard for a 3* !). Once you fire black and get the repeater out, you do 3-4k per turn, every turn. Which is insane for a 3* . Gets the first kill pretty quickly, at which point Thanos cuts the rest down to size, which means the 2nd is in reach of Arcade's repeater the following turn, which kills the third as well via Thanos. Those two are very efficient, lol.

Since they basically just end that DDQ node by themselves for 7 black AP, you're very free in what third you pair them with. I use Deadpool because whale points. Occasionally he even helps with red, but mostly he lets the villains do all the work. If you don't care for whale points, I'm pretty sure there's better thirds.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

Yeah he's a really good example on how not to design powers.
    I get it, he's supposed to be complicated, but there's complicated and there's "i don't understand any of this even after reading the way too long power description ".

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options

@AlexR said:

@Daredevil217 said:

It starts off by saying "choose a color and place a Control Room Trap tile" before any of that. From my understanding, when you fire purple, you select the new Control Room tile color first and then it applies these things. As a result, any trap on the board that matches the color you picked gives double damage. So in short, for purple to do the most damage, just pick the color that has the most trap tiles on the board.
    An example from 3* Arcade, from today: I had 8 tiles on the board, 4 of which were red. No control room tile (it got matched.) My 3* Arcade does ~1k damage per tile. I fired purple, chose red. He should now do around 12k damage randomly between the enemies-- 2* 4* 1k (=8k) from red + 4* 1k (=4k) from other colors = 12k, which seemed to happen.

1. Is it one slug of damage or several hits? My 5* Arcade took out the entire wave when I fired purple.

I play with 3* Arcade in DDQ regularly, and it also usually gives me one big AoE hit on purple. So I think it gets combined into 1 hit.

Not too sure about the destroyed tiles myself.

Lol, I thought I was the only one who used him as primary in DDQ 3*. 3* Thanos and Blade are my partners.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:
    Like that black trap in the lower right corner… I have no idea why it got destroyed based on the power description. I figured since I chose black, a tile adjacent to it would blow up, not the tile itself (and it’s not adjacent to any other traps).

Is it possible that they've put in a fix for tile actions at edges and corners that forces their effects onto the board if they would target an 'adjacent' tile that doesn't exist?

• Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2023
    Options

3* arcade with thanos and emma here for that ddq node. Arcade equipped with whichever support adds lots of damage to powers (it is taskmasters sword? I pay zero attention to these things...) so his traps become pretty powerful.

Boosted 5* arcade is definitely in the very good to use pile, admittedly I ran him with okoye and had very little what his active powers were doing, but i know everyone died pretty quick!

• Sp1d3r
    Sp1d3r Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options

Never used him couldn't be bothered trying to work his powers out but after reading this I might give him a go

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I find it amusing that he was a 5* essential for PvE alot, yet still no one knows exactly what he he does.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,429 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

His 3* version is great. But just like dr strange not all powers translate to the 5* tier.
    Arcade in the 5* tier is slow and feels underpowered. Until you can fire his nukes…that hopefully have the correct color trap tiles.
    If you run him with a booster is great, but boosters fix many bad characters. That is essentially what Arcade is a bad 5* character.

• DarwinNunez
    DarwinNunez Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options

Arcades description should just read get 7AP in pink, blue or black and arcade go brrrrr

However 3* magic has trumped arcade. I never one shotted a champed 5* with arcade. Please keep releasing mental OP 3*s

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,164 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

For each Murderworld Trap tile on the board, deal X damage to a random enemy; if the colour of any Murderworld Trap tile matches the Control Room's colour, that Murderworld Trap tile deals double damage and destroys a random tile that's adjacent to that particular Murderworld Trap tile. For every 2 Murderworld Trap tiles on the board, destroy a surrounding random tile.

@Daredevil217 there you go.

For "surrounding", I admit I'm not sure what it's specifically referring to. If it were "adjacent", why didn't they just use the word "adjacent"? And if it's literally any random tile, there's no need for the word "surrounding".

EDIT: ok @Daredevil217 I just tested out 5* Arcade's Purple in lightning rounds, and I've sent you the video recording. As you can see, I fired his active Murderworld power when there were 9 Trap tiles on the board. I chose Green; there were already 3 Green Murderworld Trap tiles.

For the first part of the power, that would have destroyed 3 tiles (one tile adjacent to each Green Murderworld Trap tile). When I paused the recording, there were a total of 7 tiles destroyed. The remaining 4 destroyed tiles is the second part of the power, i.e. for every 2 Murderworld Trap tiles, destroy a surrounding tile. Since there were 9 Trap tiles, rounded down to 8, those were the 4 remaining tiles destroyed. And those 4 were not necessarily adjacent to a Murderworld Trap tile. So in this case, "surrounding" is not synonymous with "adjacent", i.e. it's literally any random tile.

Here's the screengrab for reference (the white orbs are the tiles to be destroyed):

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options

Very well look like it could be bugged. Wouldn't surprise me. There's quite a few known bugs with other characters and hasn't really been any response from BC. I think they know there's lots of bugs going on with many characters and is maybe why they've been silent, as not to rile up the fan base or reduce confidence in their development of all these complex new characters and abilities that keep getting churned out.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options

I guess I can live with complex character powers (though I think the sheer overpopulation of toons provides sufficient complexity). I just wish they'd keep the power descriptions far more terse so that I can actually [swear word]-ing READ them on my device. Which mostly I can't with BC's characters.

I'm getting older. My eyes don't work as well. It's made worse by staring at glowing screens. So please help me read. Fix all the stupid, STUPID color/contrast issues (black text on midnight blue background, anyone? pink tiles adjacent to red tiles, then?).

And keep text shorter so the font is large enough for me to read.

OK, back to Arcade.

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

@BlackBoltRocks
    I see all 7 murky orb tiles are "around" i.e. adjacent to A TRAP tile. 3 are next to green traps. 4 are next to any trap (one happens to also be a green one).