Reddit/Discord getting more information than the MPQ Forum

Options
LavaManLee
LavaManLee Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

I believe this came up a month or so ago, but is there any specific reason why Reddit/Discord are getting more frequent updates and drop-ins from the devs than the MPQ Forum? There has been no communication here since EOTS went live but both Reddit and Discord have had official dev comment.

The forum seems to be a good place for discussion but not a good place for devs to drop by and share what is going on unless I am mistaken.

Was there an announcement or is it simply the way that BCS is more comfortable communicating with the player base?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Hasn't it been this way under Demiurge?

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Honestly, it is disappointing that they release info on discord, reddit first ahead of their own forum. But at the end of the day so what? They are entitled to their preferred comm channel and the pace of how info is disseminated. That's not me taking the dev's side other than to say, in the modern world there many communication channels and various player segements choose to engage in various ways.

Yes, I do think the forum needs to have a sticky to points to reddit and a discord, and explains the different focus of each community.

In a way I do look at this as the evolution of Bulletin Board Systems and how players engage with developers. Just consider, even as late as the 90s, we got our daily info from a mornings paper digest called a newspaper. Now a days, do you even log into CNN,FOX, MSNBC websites to get their content or do you consume it directly via twitter, yourtube etc...

As long as its clear how the devs intend to communicate and receive feedback (regardless of what mods, and admins post, its obvious who and how the actual engineers communicate with.) Then the playerbase is free to interact via their preferred channel.

As an aside, is a forum even relevant in the modern age of gaming? For example, fortnite has new weekly content. Do people goto forums, watch youtube, or use a search engine?

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options

I'll just point out that I (and several others) got a 3* infinity stone support for being a frequent forum poster, and I'm not aware of anyone getting any in-game rewards for being a frequent reddit or discord poster. To me it seems counterintuitive to reward people for participating here but then focusing attention and interaction elsewhere.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Reddit and Discord are both unofficial -- they're run by players. The Forum is run by D3 (or 505, or whoever the publisher is now). If they prefer to use Reddit or Discord, that's fine, but why continue to maintain the forum at all? They could shut it down any time they wanted.

• Phumade
    Options

@helix72 said:
    I'll just point out that I (and several others) got a 3* infinity stone support for being a frequent forum poster, and I'm not aware of anyone getting any in-game rewards for being a frequent reddit or discord poster. To me it seems counterintuitive to reward people for participating here but then focusing attention and interaction elsewhere.

Think about that goofy contest they ran for Quantumania. They gave tickets based on how many different ways you interact wit MPQ. So there are alot of different ways they can push out info.

From a management perspective the forum pathway is the easiest to turn on/off and mangement's control "levers" are easy and well established. After all they can just tell a mod to shut down a thread.

But from an employees POV. Discord a far easier and faster tool to use. twitter encourages brief bold statements.

So I see the tension, mgmt spends as little as possible, and the devs want quick and easy comm tools, players like long form disseration and the freedom from content moderation to develop their own tangents.

Every channel has is benefits and drawbacks.

• Phumade
    Options

Oh and as a professional aside. Whenever someone wants to quote back a statement from dischord, slack, Teams, messenger. I simply just say, "At the time of posting, I believed the statement is accurate. But based on the info you've shared, this new statement is accurate"

I.e. Don't expect a discord statement to stand the test of time. and expect budgets, needs etc.. to be in flux until its published as a "long term" statement.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    Hasn't it been this way under Demiurge?

No. Demiurge definitely used the Forum (at least before they dropped off the face of the earth) to be the "official" word. Things normally were posted here first and then elsewhere.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

Reddit and Discord must be either where the bulk of players actually are, or where the bulk of this dev team actually is i would guess. But I too would expect at least a thread landing here for announcements.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Sounds like I need to create a new "Meeting" post.. if anyone even remembers that lol

• hygge_hound
    hygge_hound Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Reddit and Discord are both unofficial -- they're run by players. The Forum is run by D3 (or 505, or whoever the publisher is now). If they prefer to use Reddit or Discord, that's fine, but why continue to maintain the forum at all? They could shut it down any time they wanted.

Yes, except that with the official development presence on reddit, it's basically become censored if you say anything negative at all about the game or the devs--at best you'll get downvoted to perdition (which, who cares, but holy heck so many people's lips are permanenetly attached to the you-know-whats, and I wish i had that many people giving me hugs and high fives every time i screwed up my job constantly) or the sub mods will remove your comments for being too "mean" to their demigods. So it's basically a D3 forum annex. You can't speak freely there. But the upside is, all the Lucky Pull posts! /s

It'd be nice to have a place to complain or just talk without BCS having to have their face all up in it, or mods making sure you only say nice and happy things about the game. It's like a low-key police state. Thought Police up next.

• jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options

These official forums are pointless if direct information goes elsewhere primarily.

• Phumade
    Options

We haven't even mention the sleeping giant "Line" and its effect on noob, vet, Eldar tier roster desig, playtheory and knowledge transfer.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

coughknowledgetransferofdataminingcough

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@jsmjsmjsm00 said:
    These official forums are pointless if direct information goes elsewhere primarily.

I suspect the Official Forums (or an official something) are probably a requirement of the licensor agreement in so much as "Official" announcements here have been vetted and the information can seen to have been conferred as agreed. The Licensor probably isn't as bothered that an old 7 day event is busted and Kang has gone haywire as long as Kang was represented in the agreed way. So the Devs are free to comment on the actual game and bugs etc at other places.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Phumade said:
    We haven't even mention the sleeping giant "Line" and its effect on noob, vet, Eldar tier roster desig, playtheory and knowledge transfer.

Yeah, the forum was the place to talk about the game until Line became a thing, then we all migrated there. The first big Line rooms were based on forum groups, and oh yeah, all those battle chats you guys are in also started from forum groups (generally). Alliance-based BCs were the norm back then. A big group from the forum created the first "open" room, and well, now here we are.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@hygge_hound said:

It'd be nice to have a place to complain or just talk without BCS having to have their face all up in it, or mods making sure you only say nice and happy things about the game. It's like a low-key police state. Thought Police up next.

Sorry, but you want a place to complain for to devs can know about it, or for to try to convince people how supposedly bad the game is. A place when everybody is complaining will be fun for you at first, but boring after.
    I have a better idea: you can quit the game.
    And doing that way you won't offend nobody, by the way.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't have the time to go looking into reddit or discord, so I will stick up to the forum.
    Actually MPQ forum is more active than others forums (yeah I know we 5 persons are active and all the jokes, but still besides that is active). Although it has an arcaic format and it's not appealing at sight and writing posts from phone is such a pain.
    Still official forum should offer at least the same announcements which devs write on reddit and discord.
    They should do this, or at least have people pasting it to here, imo. Because in here they are people really commited and concerned about the game offering valuable feedback and that people would deserve it.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I kind of figured the official forums were the place to go to complain where you can be sure the devs won’t see it? <jokes!>

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:
    Sounds like I need to create a new "Meeting" post.. if anyone even remembers that lol

I've missed those. Let me know when you resume!

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

@BlackBoltRocks said:

@Punisher5784 said:

I've missed those. Let me know when you resume!

I'm trying to be nice to the new team, but hopefully if I make a new post, the new team has a better sense of humor!