Discord and Reddit Announcements

Options
System
System Posts: 1,024 Chairperson of the Boards
This discussion was created from comments split from: New Character - ***** Kang (The Conqueror) *****.

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    Well, wouldn't it be great to have these Discord updates also in the official forum.

The biggest spoiler on discord was Ice saying he will put all this stuff on the forums…

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,614 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Sekilicious said:

@Bowgentle said:
    Well, wouldn't it be great to have these Discord updates also in the official forum.

The biggest spoiler on discord was Ice saying he will put all this stuff on the forums…

What if instead that was a spoiler on the Forums for Discord?

• Sekilicious
    edited February 2023
    Options

Well in defense, discord lets you chat in real time while the forums chat makes you reload constantly.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah, the hundreds of posts while you type your post, it's unbearable.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Sekilicious said:
    Well in defense, discord lets you chat in real time while the forums chat makes you reload constantly.

Do you want to chat constantly if you are making an announcement/clarification about stuff? Seems distracting.

Anyway, it is what it is.

• Sekilicious
    edited February 2023
    Options

Nah they ask. Ice answers. Not to mention there are dozens of people posting questions there. Literally tens. Hopefully we get those kind of numbers someday

• DAZ0273
    Options

That does seem impossible to manage on this Forum, I agree. You would need at least 4 screens and possibly ten arms! :);)

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Sekilicious said:
    Nah they ask. Ice answers. Not to mention there are dozens of people posting questions there. Literally tens. Hopefully we get those kind of numbers someday

Isn't that basically a Catch 22? If the Forum was the primary source of updates and information, then should it not get "those numbers"? I have been to the Discord on many occasion and it is really not the ideal place to find actual solid information because it is a blur of people talking nonsense with the odd relevant game thing chucked in and it all scrolls down if you are not there at that pertinent time, it is quite distracting. And hey - I enjoy talking nonsense, don't get me wrong, lol! It just seems a bizarre place to give out all this salient information about the game to then have that brought back here, an official company forum and be parroted by third parties/non official sources. Even yourself as a moderator of THIS forum are sourcing information from non-forum sources (i.e. Facebook yesterday) and thank you for that but if that was all here as well then you wouldn't have to go above and beyond.

It has been this way forever so likely nothing will change it just seems a very strange use of an official forum.

• Sekilicious
    edited February 2023
    Options

Well technically things are announced here first. The Reddit and Discord announcements are redirects to here. Where it gets blurry is when Devpool and Ice start interacting with the community. Devpool prefers Reddit. Ice prefers Discord.

• DAZ0273
    Options

And sorry for anything veering off topic. You may do with my non-Kang related posts as you wish, including removing if you choose so, I will not commit to any fuss. :)

I am hopeful that Kang will be Kangtastic! On another matter, The Thing seems a bit weak in terms of being a thematic feeder. I actually think Ghost would have worked better as this Kang is the MCU version. I guess though whoever gives me the most covers is the best answer!

• DAZ0273
    Options

@Sekilicious said:
    Well technically things are announced here first. Where it gets blurry is when Devpool and Ice start interacting with the community. Devpool prefers Reddit. Ice prefers Discord.

Their prerogative of course but a a bit of a condemnation of the actual official channel.

• Sekilicious
    edited February 2023
    Options

Yeah. I’m officially warning the moderator for hijacking this thread. If this line gets any traction I will split out the conversation.

• Bowgentle
    Options

Is this a "who watches the Watchmen" Situation?

• Sekilicious
    Options

Most certainly

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,898 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Codex said:

@entrailbucket said:
    Eh, I really can't see anyone leaving Kang, Hit Monkey, or Wong out on defense for any length of time. Chasm will steamroll all those guys.

These are probably offensive-only characters, which is sort of the problem with this type of counter.

Isn't that what we or maybe just I want, an offensive counter that downs chasm quickly. If it's terrible on defense its a good thing because hopefully it opens up other counter teams to Kang monkey or Kang sw.

What I don't want to see is endless Kang SW or Kang monkey, because then we just replaced one ad nauseum team with another.

It's really, really hard to predict this because MPQ has such a hivemind-based metagame, and a lot of factors go into it beyond "who's the best character?"

The problem here is that Chasm still beats everyone, including Kang, so the question will be: does Kang's existence make Chasm a defensive liability? If Kang beats Chasm so trivially that players will lose points by running Chasm, you'll see the metagame shift.

I don't think we can answer that question just yet, but I think the answer is no. Counters like this just don't work in this game -- and Kang is an extremely powerful character on his own!

• entrailbucket
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@Sekilicious said:

Isn't that basically a Catch 22? If the Forum was the primary source of updates and information, then should it not get "those numbers"? I have been to the Discord on many occasion and it is really not the ideal place to find actual solid information because it is a blur of people talking nonsense with the odd relevant game thing chucked in and it all scrolls down if you are not there at that pertinent time, it is quite distracting. And hey - I enjoy talking nonsense, don't get me wrong, lol! It just seems a bizarre place to give out all this salient information about the game to then have that brought back here, an official company forum and be parroted by third parties/non official sources. Even yourself as a moderator of THIS forum are sourcing information from non-forum sources (i.e. Facebook yesterday) and thank you for that but if that was all here as well then you wouldn't have to go above and beyond.

It has been this way forever so likely nothing will change it just seems a very strange use of an official forum.

All those players are on Discord because that's the place to go to get insider information. Demiurge folks used to hang out there, answer questions, and drop hints and previews. It was pretty small until that started, then when it became a way to get an advantage, it became mandatory.

• DAZ0273
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@Sekilicious said:

All those players are on Discord because that's the place to go to get insider information. Demiurge folks used to hang out there, answer questions, and drop hints and previews. It was pretty small until that started, then when it became a way to get an advantage, it became mandatory.

Yes I know. However the Discord is not related to the Developers of the game in terms of being an official channel, it is a fan made channel. That is like going to Subway to get a Burger King menu coz the Burger King shift manager hangs out there in his break. I used to be the moderator of joequesada.com which was not an official Marvel news source but hey. Editor in Chief of Marvel comic books. You are gonna hang out and ask questions. At no point did that prevent Joe making official announcements at Marvel.com. Oh and Bill Jemas( The PRESIDENT of Marvel), Gail Simeone (she gave hair dressing tips), Brian Michael Bendis, David Mack and John Romita Jr all had forums too. Some of them who didn't have their own website used JQ.com to announce things but mostly they used their own forums where their fans went to with expectation of getting official announcements. We used to go drinking with Mark Millar and his forum crew but that didn't mean he abandoned Millarworld. I became an unofficial defacto Marvel volunteer and was told insider information before it was released (I saw the penciled first issue of Enemy of the State before it was anywhere near being released for example) but I wasn't tasked with promoting that outside of the forums.

I don't want to derail this thread and I fully understand why the Discord is popular but please be aware that I also have experience of how these things normally work and this situation is somewhat out of the ordinary for an official channel. But my way doesn't equal the highway and this is my final post on the matter, Sek already has my blessing to do as he sees fit with my off topic posts. 🙂

• entrailbucket
    Options

What's funny is that the forum used to be the place to go to get all that insider info, when the game started and for the first few years. Ice used to jump into random threads and answer questions, and Demiurge/D3 read basically everything that was posted here. Other folks, including the lead designer and other designers, posted frequently and answered questions frequently.

I don't know why that stopped.

I think it stopped because the forum became incredibly, almost repulsively, toxic toward those folks -- the level of constant abuse directed at them was honestly embarrassing to the few of us who were sane. At some point they completely wrote off the forum and all we got were announcements.

What's funny is that once the developers stopped posting and reading here, all those toxic players also left. They'll come back during any sort of big change, but they don't bother otherwise.

• Bowgentle
    Options

I think you remember that backwards.
    They stopped communicating - THEN people started being toxic.
    They got some - understandable - flack for the OML nerf and "you're supposed to lose" but other than that nothing out of the ordinary.

Until they just stopped talking to the forums.