Character Update - 4* Jubilee (Uncanny X-Men) (Live 2/2)

Options
IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
edited February 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

Jubilee (Uncanny X-Men)
Heart of the Team - Passive
Damage buff is unchanged, but added an additional binary choice. The ability now raises damage statically as before, or up to 100/150/200/250/300%, whichever is higher. Also, number of Charged tiles to enable this for allies is reduced at levels 3 and 5.
The ability now reads:
(PASSIVE) Jubilee's bubbly personality and never-ending optimism inspire her team to do their best. Whenever Jubilee makes a match, if she has less health than the target, matches deal 213 or 100% bonus damage, whichever is higher. If there are at least 4 Charged tiles on the board, this also applies to her allies. (Max 415 damage)

• Level 2: 297 or 150% damage (Max 579 damage)
  • Level 3: 342 or 200% damage/3 Charged tiles needed. (Max 666 damage)
  • Level 4: 494 or 250% damage (Max 963 damage)
  • Level 5: 746 or 300% damage/2 Charged tiles needed. (Max 1454 damage)

The idea of this ability is really cool as Jubilee can bring the team together and get them to react to more powerful foes if there are enough Charged tiles. In practice, it was nearly impossible to keep up the Charged tile requirement, and the damage bonus quickly started falling by the wayside as Jubilee leveled or you started moving into 5-Star land. Adding the secondary damage bonus possibility makes it possible for Jubilee to add a strong bonus to underleveled or lower health 5-Stars to punch above their weight (literally).

Light Show - 10 Purple AP
Minor change, the ability now changes surrounding tiles into Green, Purple, or Yellow tiles instead of completely random tiles. The idea of rainbow transformations made thematic sense, but it hardly ever created matches or cascades, making it largely useless in practice. This turns it into a bit more of an AP engine for her abilities while keeping the stuns and direct damage intact.

Roman Candle - 9 Green AP
Fixed scaling damage on the ability, raising it for levels 2-5. Made the ability deal team damage at an earlier level. Added an Affiliation based Passive. The ability now reads:
Jubilee fires a volley of energy blasts at her enemies, disarming them. Creates 2 Charged tiles, (Prioritizing enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles). If there are at least 5 Charged tiles on the board, deal 574 damage to the enemy team. (Max 1118 damage)

(PASSIVE) At the start of the turn, for each X-Men on the team, create a Charged tile (up to number of X-Men on the team).

• Level 2: 804 damage, minimum 4 Charged tiles for damage (Max 1565 damage)
  • Level 3: 1033 damage, always deals damage, creates 3 Charged tiles (Max 2012 damage)
  • Level 4: 1492 damage (Max 2907 damage)
  • Level 5: 2411 damage, creates 4 Charged tiles (Max 4696 damage)

As it stands, this ability is either a 3 point dump ability that will never get used, or it’s a 5 point damaging ability with lower than normal scaling. This is due to the fact that it either damages all the time at level 5, or takes 5 Charged tiles at levels 1-4, which is hard to get in 4-Star land. Add to that there are many other strong green AoEs out there, and almost every Jubilee uses this as a dump ability. With this improvement, it makes the ability a decently powerful AoE for its AP cost, creates some Charged tiles to keep up her Yellow, and adds a potentially very powerful synergy with other X-Men on the team.

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023
    Options

5* Colossus/mThor could be fun with her. That 500% match damage boost is pretty crazy. A 450 Colossus is going to deal 32k yellow match damage. Bring a 450 Colosuss with 10k health and he will be wiping most non-Chasm/Wanda/Colossus team with match damage.

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Sekilicious said:
    Mmmm, Jubilee, Riri, mThor. Charge everything on the board, nuke everything with yellow +500%. Legit I think. The max will kill all the fun probably. Though with Thor’s yellow would be per charge tile. Need to test. When the change takes effect I guess.

Only applies to matches.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I really wanted it to read powers or matches I guess

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

She looks great now for heavy matching sinergy. And at level 5 she only needs 2 charged tiles for the bonus. Awesome!

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2023
    Options

If she works the way I think she does this trivialises pretty much all CN fights. With a bit of fireworks, love and thunder your 10 rings become like 500.

I don't know how I feel about that.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Pair her with Dr. Thor and Colossus/SC/Riri and you are doing some insane match dmg.

I should point out, however, that this becomes yet another situation where you can almost play the game without firing active powers. If we haven't already reached that day already, the day is coming when having any AP will be irrelevant.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,204 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't use Jubilation that often, but in order to get her damage boost for her teammates you need charged tiles and she needs lower health than the enemy, right? So it's like 1/2 Thor where you want to keep her hp low, right? Also, when the damage boost is active for her teammates, is it only Jubilation that needs to be lower in hp, or your teammate that's making the match.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

As long as anyone's hp is lower than target enemy health and there are at least 2 charged tiles, they will get 500% bonus match damage.

People will be bored of using the same team and start using other team anyway. Besides, Jubilee will be taken out easily in pvps. I wonder if 550Colossus and Jubilee + America Chavez will have a shot at T10 placement pve in scl 10.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    Jubilee will be taken out easily in pvps.

That's a good thing, though. This is a fun Sim teammate to climb with, not to leave out.

• froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I particularly like the Light Show change, since it allows for strategic placement in an area that has a higher probability of matches in those colors. Not the best ability, or even the one with the most powerful update (which would be the yellow), but any time you can take a 'useless' power and turn it into something interesting, that's a win.

Looking forward to seeing how the yellow actually plays out in practice.

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options

With a bit of feedback, we'll be changing up this rebalancing a little, reducing the percentage increase. Instead of 100/200/300/400/500, it will be 100/150/200/250/300. Still a sizeable increase, but it won't cause as much inflation for situations like a purposefully under-healthed Shang-Chi going to town a la half-health Thor (Gladiator). There's a chance that she could be launching with the 500 change, but the next data patch will be bringing this in line to the new values.

• TheHawkNY
    TheHawkNY Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options

I'm seeing the description as updated in game, but noticed I was not receiving a damage boost. I tested on SCL10 challenge node. I loaded in with Jubilee, 5*Riri, Shang, +2 red&yellow, +1 all AP. Immediately used Riri's red, then made a match which did not receive any bonus.

• bladewing
    bladewing Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options

@TheHawkNY said:
    I'm seeing the description as updated in game, but noticed I was not receiving a damage boost. I tested on SCL10 challenge node. I loaded in with Jubilee, 5*Riri, Shang, +2 red&yellow, +1 all AP. Immediately used Riri's red, then made a match which did not receive any bonus.

Did you make sure the health of your toon was lower than the target’s.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,066 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@bladewing said:

@TheHawkNY said:

Did you make sure the health of your toon was lower than the target’s.

Also was there 2 charged tiles on the board (required for her power to extend to her teammates)

KGB

• TheHawkNY
    TheHawkNY Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options

Yes, and yes. Goblin has 203k health, more than double any of my characters. I used Riri's red and placed 8 charged tiles.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,066 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Maybe it looks for 2 charged tiles at the start of the turn. On your next turn did it work correctly?

KGB

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 714 Critical Contributor
    Options

Loving Jubilee's buff. Excellent work BCS!

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2023
    Options

So, I think it's probably a good idea that you'll tone her down.

Jubilee/Colossus/5Emma. a Match 3 yellow from Colossus was doing over 60k damage. Because it's additional damage, 5emma was boosting it also .

Without going too off-topic, IMO 5Emma is the G.O.A.T of damaging boosting in this "post-boosted 5" world.

Okoye needs to tank - no good if her friends are boosted
    Apoc does a set increase of more damage - which is a bit small with boosted characters
    5Emma does 70% increase FROM TURN ZERO. doesn't matter if she cowers in the back. no Setup (chasing yellow/team up ap). As an example boosted BRB was doing 60k damage for 6 blue ap. His green was hitting for almost 50k per hit. DIABOLICAL!

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options

How are you guys managing to keep the momentum going after a few turns? Or is just doing some burst damage up front and fizzling out worth building a team around?

I dusted off the old Old Man Logan and Phoenix and gave them the Halfthor treatment. Surely OML PHX is better with new Jub than without but it doesn't really feel good.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

You need to use Colossus at 10k to 20k health. Then, use mThor for random cascade. Onslaught could replace too.

And 5* Emma boosting Jubilee's passive is :o to me. Anyone tried Deathlok yet? I remember he has some crazy synergy with Okoye.