Pick my next 5* Champ!

mega ghost
mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

I'm currently in massive ISO debt with several 5-stars at 13+ covers waiting to be champed. Vote for which 5-star I should champ next once I save up the ISO needed (I'm currently about 200,000 away.) I will abide by the poll results at the time I acquire said necessary ISO.

Pick my next 5* Champ! 56 votes

Arcade (Edward Arca)
3%
MoosePrimeJaGo 2 votes
Carnage (Prophet of Knull)
0%
The Hulk (Immortal)
26%
BowgentlevaportrailDyingLegendpezseBorstockPtahhotephelix72BobdvolSekiliciousCoxLargoWilliamK1983mani82Mrkt_712_TrashPandabigjojo04 15 votes
Kamala Khan (Origin)
7%
HoundofShadowjsmjsmjsm00samael64BobDucca 4 votes
Kingpin (Spider-Verse)
5%
Seasick PirateCaptain_Trips88bladewing 3 votes
Onslaught (Psionic Entity)
7%
rainkingucdScofieskittledaddyfractalvisions 4 votes
Scarlet Witch (WandaVision)
50%
xKOBALTxatomzedCallTheStormJangoLorePunisher5784tonypqCodexbigwhoopkillahKlownKGBnwahs086Rod5purplemurDAZ0273stef_focuscaptainheathdjperry1973Ares76MrDupaTMtupacboy 28 votes
Spider-Man (Back in Black)
0%

Comments

• mega ghost

For additional context:

1) All of the listed characters have at least one saved cover or 500 shards, except Carnage.
    2) I mostly play PvE, and am very rarely competitive in PvP. I don't plan to change that.
    3) I have 22 5-stars champed already, including (in order of levels, highest to lowest):

• She-Hulk
    • Kitty Pryde
    • Shang-Chi
    • Okoye
    • Doctor Strange
    • Emma Frost
    • Beta Ray Bill
    • Old Man Logan
    • Deadpool
    • Black Bolt
    • Chasm
    • Silver Surfer
    • Black Panther
    • Colossus
    • Gambit
    • Jessica Jones
    • Professor X
    • Mighty Thor
    • Apocalypse
    • Captain Marvel
    • Daredevil
    • Hawkeye
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023
    Kamala Khan (Origin)

Kamala Khan. I remember top (550) players mentioning finishing matches in pves in a turn using Apocalypse/BRB/Kamala Khan. I can't remember if anyone has to be boosted.

What's your top 5 highest level?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Hulk (Immortal)

Ihulk and it's not even close.
    Hulkoye rules PVE.

• mega ghost

@HoundofShadow said:
    Kamala Khan. I remember top (550) players mentioning finishing matches in pves in a turn using Apocalypse/BRB/Kamala Khan. I can't remember if anyone has to be boosted.

Oh hey, I never even thought of that combo, that's a really solid pairing!

I'm newer to the 5-star game, so my champs aren't leveled high at all. They are:

• She-Hulk ( Lvl. 476)
    • Kitty Pryde ( Lvl. 473)
    • Shang-Chi ( Lvl. 471)
    • Okoye ( Lvl. 469)
    • Doctor Strange ( Lvl. 465)
  • mega ghost

@Bowgentle said:
    Ihulk and it's not even close.
    Hulkoye rules PVE.

Is this a health pack heavy approach, though? One thing I love about Shang-Chi is that he's a ton of fun to play, lets me punch way above my weight, and also almost never needs health packs due to his true heal.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kamala Khan (Origin)

Your SC should be able to net you T10 in pves, using boosts, even without waiting for the second bracket. I've heard players with 550 SC netting T1 in pves sometimes.

As mentioned, iHulkoye is still the top speed team in pves. Just make sure iHulk is 16(?) levels lower than Okoye. Chasm/iHulk will help you float high in pvps since not many players want to engage them. Being able to float high means fewer wins needed to hit 1200.

Other than iHulk and KK, none of those in the polls will help you speed clear pves. If you're looking for fun character, then go for Arcade. This guy has an AoE nuke.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 473 Mover and Shaker

I picked Switch to pair with Colossus but didn't see your pve-only note... Barring a huge Okoye or Apoc you're good with Shang in PVE; just work on optimizing your order, boosts and supports.

• Bowgentle
    The Hulk (Immortal)

@HoundofShadow said:
    Your SC should be able to net you T10 in pves, using boosts, even without waiting for the second bracket. I've heard players with 550 SC netting T1 in pves sometimes.

As mentioned, iHulkoye is still the top speed team in pves. Just make sure iHulk is 16(?) levels lower than Okoye. Chasm/iHulk will help you float high in pvps since not many players want to engage them. Being able to float high means fewer wins needed to hit 1200.

Other than iHulk and KK, none of those in the polls will help you speed clear pves. If you're looking for fun character, then go for Arcade. This guy has an AoE nuke.

Stop talking about 550s when giving advice to someone who has a 476 as their highest.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 907 Critical Contributor
    The Hulk (Immortal)

Gotta be ihulk. If you mainly do pve, hulk+okoye is top notch. Personally, I haven't tried it because neither of mine have more than 5 covers. Also, if you decide to play more pvp, you can pair him with Chasm. I've noticed a team or two running that combo 🤣

• mega ghost

@HoundofShadow said:

I usually play for progression rewards over placement because competing with the player base requires a level of timing / coordination I've not invested to date, but do alternate between wanting quick clears and fun characters depending on my available time and mood. So really, this is all useful feedback, thanks!

• mega ghost

@Timemachinego said:
    I picked Switch to pair with Colossus but didn't see your pve-only note... Barring a huge Okoye or Apoc you're good with Shang in PVE; just work on optimizing your order, boosts and supports.

If I'm looking to land a specific progression reward, I'll jump in PvPs but usually stop playing once I hit the reward. I can think of maybe a handful of times in my history of playing that I found myself in high placement by happenstance, so I decided to shield and compete to see if I could stay in Top 10. I do want an excuse to use Colossus more...

• Bowgentle
    The Hulk (Immortal)

PVP is all about Chasm, though.
    Unboosted ColWanda is a speedbump these days, nothing more.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 473 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2023

@mega ghost said:

@Timemachinego said:

If I'm looking to land a specific progression reward, I'll jump in PvPs but usually stop playing once I hit the reward. I can think of maybe a handful of times in my history of playing that I found myself in high placement by happenstance, so I decided to shield and compete to see if I could stay in Top 10. I do want an excuse to use Colossus more...

Bowgentle is mostly right, PVP doesn't have much variety right now. I've had some success with boosted Wanda teams vs unboosted chasm/ihulk but realistically you're only going to see that like once every few months at this point.

You've already got Mighty Thor champed, I like to get some wins out of her and Colossus (all the cascades make use of his high base damage) if I don't have anyone fun to play on the boost list. Also, if you're not playing for time, Col's damage reduction neuters SC unless he can get to a high combo value so that's kind of fun. I put 5* Emma in as a third for sim pvp to ramp up their damage and it's a really fun team (Jane yellow hits like an absolute truck lol), just not viable when you're aiming high.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023
    The Hulk (Immortal)

A lot of the teams mentioned depend on having the right support. I run Apocalypse, Kamala Khan, Polaris every pick 3. They are great but you need supports to generate yellow and black or green at start or they can be awful. Ebony Maw is the most accessible black generator. Atlantis was recently in the Puzzle Gauntlet. The turn 1 wins with BRB require having a very high level Apocalypse and being able to fire his yellow then black immediately. The longer the fight goes the better Polaris is instead of BRB.

Hulkoye I use for the 3 and 4* nodes and these two are the least support dependent. Having Okoye 30 levels higher than iHulk is recommended to keep Okoye tanking. They will work without that but you will need more health packs. To truly shine they should have the Royal Talon Fighter support and a yellow generator. IHulk is also meta in PvP but does not need to be champed. Mine was an effective deterrent at 2/1/1 lvl 280.

Wanda if playing PvP is a good counter to iHulk. It is pretty much what she was designed for. Onslaught is a great partner for Shang-Chi. Neither are meta but can be fun.

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 270 Mover and Shaker

@HoundofShadow said:

Can this team work with a high level apoc or do all three need to be at a high level? I get higher is always better but would a 500 apoc and 450 brb kamala work just as well.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023
    The Hulk (Immortal)

@Codex said:

@HoundofShadow said:

Can this team work with a high level apoc or do all three need to be at a high level? I get higher is always better but would a 500 apoc and 450 brb kamala work just as well.

It doesn’t work if you don’t have supports that generate yellow and black at start. A lvl 500 Apoc should work for the lower health Pick-3 but might have trouble getting the quickest kills on the last node. BRB is just there to provide the protects at start. A higher level Kamala will be helpful though.

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 152 Tile Toppler
    The Hulk (Immortal)

Ihulk is a monster in pvp with chasm and great in pve with okoye it should be an easy choice

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards

If you're playing Shang-Chi heavily, I like Onslaught with him quite a bit. having said that, I use iHulk/Okoye on all pick-2 nodes in PVE

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Hulk (Immortal)

Even if you aren't playing PvE competitively due to an unwillingness or inability to play at certain times, Hulkoye is still the fastest team at your levels. That might not be important for placement, but it will be important on days where you just want to do your clears fast and be done with it. This game, as you've probably figured out by now, is a marathon. There are days where playing at all feels like a chore. The ability to get your clears done in 20-25 minutes consistently is not to be underestimated.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

Hulk + Okoye are pretty fast - I was using 5* Deadpool in the middle of that on pick-3 nodes for my core "hard node" pve team in SCL10, but i've since moved to Shang-Chi/Professor X/America Chavez who feel sometimes faster, sometimes slower, I can't really be sure. But I did a timed test one time, with both teams animations off, different subs though because I just have the one account, and it was a good 15 minutes faster to do 4x clears of SCL10 all in one go with the SC based team. I use Rocket/Juggernaut/3* GotG for the easy nodes, and as mentioned i still use hulkoye for the pve pick 2 nodes unless there is a particularly hard 5e node or something.