Beating Wolvie in the Strike tile node

KGB
KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2022 in MPQ General Discussion

My monthly post about Puzzle Gauntlet. We really need either a Wiki someplace or better yet, a sub forum dedicated to Puzzle Gauntlet where we can post various solutions to nodes or all characters who generate X type tiles. Can any of the Moderators create new Forums?

Anyway, this months question has to do with beating Wolvie 1-1 in the node where you can only damage him via matching strike tiles. I tried 3 times with my own L266 Wolvie and I didn't come better than half damaging him (which is weird because I have more than double his health). It seems once I fire Green, his match damage goes off the charts so that even healing 500 a round I'm wiped out fast, long before I can match enough strikes to get close to killing him. I tried adding a Royal Talon Fighter support to generate strikes but the chance is so low it doesn't matter that it does.

So how is everyone doing this node? Should I be using Gamora and stunning him and trying her Black power to get the win?

KGB

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

Ask for 3 Polaris teamup.

• CallTheStorm
    CallTheStorm Posts: 63 Match Maker

Use Prowler with some luck.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,230 Chairperson of the Boards

I did it with gamora after several tries

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 270 Mover and Shaker

I did it with whales after losing 3 times. For me his heal the overpowered any match making damage.

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2022

I used Prowler and made sure I was invisible when Wolverine fired his powers. Then stunned him so he couldn't heal.

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 583 Critical Contributor

Prowler fairly easy

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards

A similar thread was posted in the Tips and Guides sub forum. Not about this specifically though. I posted this handy guide there for future reference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/w4wgzn/puzzle_gauntlet_meta_reference_thread/

Like codex I used whales after failing a few times with Prowler. If my Wolverine hadn’t been recently cycled I probably would have put Yaro Root on him and saved green and red to flood the board with tiles.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards

@BriMan2222 said:

Just found out that Gamora's passive does not take out Wolverine if all of the purple tiles are friendly specials. It still clears them off the board, though. :(

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@sambrookjm said:

@BriMan2222 said:

Just found out that Gamora's passive does not take out Wolverine if all of the purple tiles are friendly specials. It still clears them off the board, though. :(

Yeah this is the worst.
    You set up a match with enemy strikes... Then her passive kicks in.
    D'oh.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 806 Critical Contributor

Maybe I drink too much or need to quit sniffing glue but didn't the rules of the match apply to both sides, wolverine is taking me down to quarter health before he even fires his green. Did I dream the only way to hurt each other was by using whatever rules were?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Apparently it only applies to the enemy team this time around.
    My guys get damaged as usual in every node.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards

Prowler was the MVP this time around.

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 583 Critical Contributor

@ThisisClemFandango said:
    Maybe I drink too much or need to quit sniffing glue but didn't the rules of the match apply to both sides, wolverine is taking me down to quarter health before he even fires his green. Did I dream the only way to hurt each other was by using whatever rules were?

If you were to read the match description it clearly says friendly strikes deal 2448 damage and to Prevent All Other Enemy Match Damage.

• Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,760 Chairperson of the Boards

Used Gamora (3-5-5), collected blue/black and waited for AI to fire green, then I kept stunning Wolverine so he didn't heal and fired my black from time to time (keep some empty purple tiles!).
    Not a fast win, but a win nonetheless.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 806 Critical Contributor

Prowler did the trick in the end but it took me over 20 times to beat it, absolute madness

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards

Really tough. I did it with Prowler + all ap boosts but took quite a few goes. Gamora actively hurts herself when she does her auto kill which has no effect but wipes out your specials. Maybe the Devs could disable that.

• slow
    slow Posts: 18 Just Dropped In

I use Patch Wolverine with 3 Polaris TU, & Yaro Root Support (mine 2*). No worries for me hope this will chill you too.

• Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker

Took many attempts but got there with Prowler and luck in the end after finding out the hard way they 'fixed ' Gamora exploit.
    does whales still work then? Guessing so from comments, wonder why they fixed one and not the other. Different mechanics I guess

• Sp1d3r
    Sp1d3r Posts: 187 Tile Toppler

I think this event is just here to drain us of health packs lol

• nwahs086
    nwahs086 Posts: 86 Match Maker

Who did you use to beat the Puzzle It Over - Round 3 against Professor X, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist? Only deal damage when enemy protects are matched.