Colossus (Phoenix Five) Preservation broken

Options
JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor

I was using Okoye with Kitty in Cage's PvP event. Enemy Colossus's Preservation was reducing the damage from Kitty's Circuit Breaker. The text for Preservation does not say it reduces a power's damage, only match damage.

I had over 20 Team Up, so with the Boost from Wakanda Forever I should have been 1-shotting Shang Chi when Kitty's Circuit Breaker resolved. Instead I was doing only approx 2,500 damage each time. It wasn't until I finally KOd Colossus using Okoye's spear that Kitty's Circuit Breaker finally started doing monster damage.

Comments

• JSP869
    Options

I know the event is over, but the damage from Kitty's Circuit Breaker was approximately 80% of its base damage, so not only was Preservation incorrectly reducing the damage from Circuit Breaker, but Circuit Breaker was also not getting boosted by Wakanda Forever.
    At 524 my Okoye's Wakanda Forever boosts damage from friendly powers by 2,337 per Team-Up AP, while my 472 Kitty's Circuit Breaker's base damage is 15,742, and so with 20+ Team-Up AP in hand Circuit Breaker should have been hitting for at least 62k damage.
    If Preservation was reducing the boosted damage then Circuit Breaker should have still been hitting for at least 10.5k damage but it was only doing one quarter of that, being approx. 80% (in actuality 83%) of Circuit Breaker's base damage.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Kitty's Circuit Breaker is considered match damage when it destroys. It has been like this for years.

• JSP869
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    Kitty's Circuit Breaker is considered match damage when it destroys. It has been like this for years.

The problem with this explanation/mechanic (not critical of you, Hound!) is that Circuit Breaker's damage is boosted by Okoye's Wakanda Forever when Colossus is not present or downed, and so its damage should have been boosted by Wakanda Forever even when he was active, but it wasn't.

When Colossus was up/active Circuit Breaker was doing 83% of its base damage, and that's all it was doing, but as soon as Colossus was downed Circuit Breaker did enough damage to 1-shot Shang-Chi, and he still had +40k health at that time.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

That's something new to me. I went back to check Kitty's thread and WF didn't boost her repeater back then in 2018/2019:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75162/kitty-pryde-uncanny-x-men/p5

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75167/okoye-doesnt-add-damage-to-friendly-team-up-powers-investigating

• JSP869
    Options

Solid research there, Hound!

From Kitty's own thread, Forum user @himatako noted:

So I did some calculation and it turns out that not only her repeater tile will gain AP when it explodes, it will also deal an additional damage equal to Kitty's match damage of that tile color. My Kitty's yellow tile damage is 182, so it becomes 182 + 3344 = 3526. The math checks out.

This suggests that her repeater tile's damage might be coded in a way that it isn't a damage dealing power, but it acts like Kitty making a match-1 and her passive grants her one time match damage boost (the number written in the power's description).

Wakanda Forever does not boost match damage, which is why she doesn't boost 4* Juggernaut's Collateral Damage, because it's linked to his match damage, so if that's how Kitty's Circuit Breaker's damage was originally programmed that would also explain what was happening then...and maybe still is?

Don't you hate it when this happens? I decided to try to replicate this, which took a while before I could find a suitable team in Simulator to test this against, and Okoye's WF did not boost the damage from Circuit Breaker. Did I somehow do massive damage from some other source? But with Kitty, Cage, and Okoye, it's pretty obvious where the damage is coming from.

Was I imagining things? Am I still a scrub, even on Day 3,223???
    /shakes Magic Conch Shell
    "All signs point to 'yes'."
    Well, dang it!

• HoundofShadow
    edited December 2022
    Options

This happens to everyone. :D

If your team was Kitty/Okoye/3* Luke Cage, some possible reasons are that you:

1) used some teamup that creates friendly strike tiles

2) Enemy Colossus fired his black twice or more which gave you 4 strike tiles, and Kitty was boosting them each turn.

3) Colossus fired his black once and it triggered your Kitty's Red that put up three attack tiles. So, Kitty was boosting strike, protect and attack tiles.

4) a combination of any of the above.