MPQ Developer Q&A November 2022 (ANSWERS)

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,126 Chairperson of the Boards

@HoundofShadow said:
    Many understand that. However, mentioning Omega Red is like a glimmer of hope.

Omega Red's "mutant death factor" just seems like such a great conceptual counter to the revive meta. Maybe he could share Doc Ock's tentacle tile mechanic. Get a nice Carbonadium Synthesizer support at some point...

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 640 Critical Contributor

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

@ThisisClemFandango said:
    In all my other scientific tests no one has ever fought the horses as a team, they all got stampeded, and BCS is quite correct the horse sized duck is incredibly bloodthirsty, it's like the last scene of Carrie.

A horse sized duck would be a nightmare factory in practice. I'm not sure how many un-armed humans you would need to subdue something like that, but I would bet the answer is more than 10.

Also he's a grizzled warrior, his quack is now godzillas scream. His diet consists of humans, duck sized horses, fear and hersheys kisses.every day there's just so much blood.
    Look on my works, ye mighty and despair.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards

First hint of a change of heart about 6* from the flat out no of before. I don't think it's something I particularly want or need but can't see any other way now really with 4 billion four stars and approaching 80 five stars.

Might tie in nicely with the tweak on CL and maintaining 10 as the top level.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker

Thanks for answering all our bajillion questions

• Punzaman
    Punzaman Posts: 30 Just Dropped In

@IceIX said:

@Punzaman said:
    Wow these are all great and insightful answers! Looking forward to the coming supports overhaul and whatever else is "coming soon" :)

@S0kun - Not all submitted questions were answered; I know mine weren't and it isn't a big deal. But does this mean BCS won't ever answer them? Should I try to submit them again for the next Q&A?

Not Sokun, but can answer. Some questions were very close to others, and we only answered it once. Others were answered in previous Q&As and we don't have any extra info (some of the UI updates fell under this umbrella). Still others were leading questions that there's no good answer to. And some would just result in us shaking a magic 8-ball since we just don't know right now, which isn't very fair either.

For example, we've been getting a lot of "How are you going to handle 3/4/5 Star dilution?" We don't have a plan yet, but it's on the list of things to tackle. We've said this before, and there are bigger fish to fry right now. So while the question itself is a fine one, it just may not get an answer, since "Dunno, haven't nailed down a plan yet" isn't a satisfactory answer for anyone.

So if you asked a question that didn't get an answer, it's quite possible that it fell under one of those umbrellas. Or maybe we missed it! We're only human. No reason you can't ask again.

Thanks @IceIX! For my questions, I don't think they have been answered before, or even as a similar question, so I will ask them again next time. I was just worried they were not answered because they were too dumb questions. :lol: Maybe it was just missed. Many thanks to you and all the other amazing humans on the team. :)

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

In MCOC, their Omega Red's abilities over there can be summarised as:

1) dealing damage over time based on Death Spore or Death Field ability (similar to attack tiles or repeater/cds that deals damage every turn)
    2) Increased defense against certain type of attacks. It'll probably be translated to reduced damage against attack, match and power damage in MPQ.
    3) healing based on number of Death Spore (up to 30), while also dealing damage. In MPQ, it would probably be destroying his tentacle tiles to true heal, or it will be similar to Anti-Venom's healing -> damage ability.

Anyway, the next 5* should be exciting.

• Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor

Thanks as always for the incredible communication! I do love hearing the "inside baseball" about the approvals process through Marvel itself and whatnot. I never would've guessed how far in advance the upcoming character releases are planned/slotted-in! It actually fills me with quite a bit of hope and confidence about the ongoing longevity of my favorite mobile game. :)

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2022

Question 1: You recently rebalanced 4* Wolverine to his similar powers. Any chance you might consider rebalancing other characters that were nerfed (e.g., 5* Wolverine, 5* Gambit)?

Answer: Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, absolutely.

While Gambit may have been overnerfed in the day, a nerf WAS necessary because his mechanics were broken. If you're rebalancing him again please don't revert him back to his broken design.

Answer: Greater alliance controls are sorely needed in general. Alliances are one of the biggest features we're looking to improve, but for the moment we're probably looking at 2024 before alliance related features are touched.

That's a long wait :(.

Answer: Broadly speaking, everything appears to be on the incline. More players, more engagement; MPQ is on the rise!

That's good to hear!

Question 1: Will there be any changes at the one and two star character level. For example adding a third power to characters that have only two, adding champ levels to one star characters, updating rewards or releasing new characters.

Answer: Yes and Yes.

I have recently picked up my alt 'starter' account again. I have doubt about 1* champ rewards for the following reasons:

• 1*s are outclassed FAST by 2*s. So fast that, really, investing ISO into them is more or less a waste (beyond the starting stages of the game and one maxed 1* for DDQ of course).
    • For the same reason, you'd rather not have them 'wasting' roster slots. HP earning is VERY slow when starting out, unless you start throwing cash at the game. (I know it's your business model, but this would be overdoing it). Unless you add so much HP from 1* champ rewards that it would be 'worthwile', but I don't think you would do that (to compare, maxchamping a 2* gives a total of 190HP, not counting the HP on sell. Roster slot 29 already costs 400HP).
    • 2*s are very easy and fast to build and really do not require extra help from being fed by 1*s
  • StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 142 Tile Toppler

Chasm is a “vet” counter. Work hard to build certain characters to help you compete against metas both new and old?

Too bad say the devs! Buy this or gtfo..

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker

It will be interesting to see if we get a character that blocks ap drain/stealing at some point.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,189 Chairperson of the Boards

@Ptahhotep said:
    It will be interesting to see if we get a character that blocks ap drain/stealing at some point.

I've been saying we need Leech in game. Someone who can nullify passives...

• danielrandkai
    danielrandkai Posts: 89 Match Maker

@StanleyBurrell said:
    Great communication as always even if I am disappointed with the Chasm answer. I think one of you guys should “borrow” my account and climb with it, it’s miserable and has severely reduced my enjoyment of the game.

Still hard to complain with the most things you guys/gals are doing. Keep it up.

Agreed. I used to play PVP to 25 wins. Now I get my 13 and am done.

• _TrashPanda
    _TrashPanda Posts: 64 Match Maker

I'm enjoying the current chasm/ ihulk meta. Like the previous op teams, they'll come out with some sort of counter/ nerfish thing for them soon enough so I'm enjoying them while they're op. It's not like Chasm would be difficult to develop a "hard" counter to that would still promote the rps aim. I've even posted ideas on what their powers could be in character suggestions section of the forum. I don't understand the rush people have on nerfing/ hard countering OP's shortly after they come out. Yes, it would be nice to see a bit more variety in qs/ rps but that will come back. It always does. Most of the slices people play in battle chats anyways and will put out easier teams for each other to hit. In other words, once you get to the point where you're # hopping, you rarely have to mirror match anyways so i don't really understand why people have such an issue with them. My Chasm/ iHulk are lvls 456/453 respectively and I don't have any issues taking out 550 Chasm/ ihulk teams. They can sometimes take a bit longer (5-10min matches or so) but that only typically happens during when a person is climbing to their 1st #. I go into chasm/ ihulk matches with an aoe/ 3pun/ mbw tus but rarely need them. I just kept hitting fat chasm/ Hulk teams and wiping until I got the hang of how to beat them fairly easily. Maybe people just need to practice how to match 3 better? 🤔

• ShionSinX
    ShionSinX Posts: 61 Match Maker

Valdoraptor [Reddit]
    Question 2: Sometimes tiles "freeze" right after last enemy is downed, but sometimes last match creates pointless cascades that prolong length of clearing node. Is it possible to set it like instant tile freeze mechanic when enemy hp is depleted?

Answer: This will require some internal exploration as to what happens behind the scenes. Will investigate and pending what is there will certainly consider this.

One of the wonders of playing Polaris, when her purple kills, cascades stop. There are a few powers that do this, like 4Shulk green and 3Arcade purple (not sure about 5Arcade, havent tried), that even when they destroy tiles, the match ends before the cascade resumes.

But it would indeed be nice if we never had to sit through a cascade when the mission should have ended. Time is money.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards

@allen_koholic said:

@GrimSkald said:

@Bad said:

@HoundofShadow said:
    I'm not sure how you interpret that Chasm is a real problem from that reply. There are already counters out there countering them "well" and the overall duration of play is okay but they are monitoring. If you are choosy about the availability of counters, you can continue playing mirror match. Riri/Dr Thor is also a counter, but you don't seem to be happy with them.

I'm just informing, not interpreting. The chahulk meta is a real problem because right now is the better team to play.
    Sure there are counters, but aren't satisfactory. The best counter is a character preventing AP loss.
    Also many players are already using unchamped ihulks. I will explain it clearly:
    Friends, if you use an unchamped Ihulk chasm always will tank and the only way to be defeated is an AoE. Just be sure to put purple chasm on 5. And you only need a few covers for Ihulk! Tasty defenses guaranteed.

An infinite battle is a lame way to win, though. Just saying.

The biggest issue with the Cha/Hulk meta is that it basically is a great counter for any team that, y'know, needs AP to fire powers. It takes out whole swaths of characters from the game. The Hulk is just there to keep you from just downing Chasm last.

I was going to express some disappointment in the fact that we're not getting any 4* PVPs, but because of Chasm, we wouldn't get much of a chance to use them anyway. He's honestly made the game a lot more boring and I don't think a simple soft counter is going to cut it.

The "revive" meta isn't the issue with Chasm, it's the AP drain. Even without his revive, that AP drain would be top tier. The revive is an issue because you can't match your way out of dealing with him. My issue with Chasm isn't that he's an S-tier character, it's that he's aggressively unfun to use and even more aggressively unfun to face. He feels oppressive from a design standpoint.

I 100% agree. The "revive" meta is only annoying - it is very possible to respond to this meta with the right combination of powers, and there is a reasonable diversity of those powers out there. The AP Drain is the real problem that makes so much of your roster useless. High level Jessica Jones and Yellowjacket? Too bad, you're never going to have enough AP to make them work the way they're supposed to, and unless your timing is exquisite you're not going to take down Chasm at the right time even on the rare occasion you get to fire a power.

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor

@GrimSkald said:

@allen_koholic said:

@GrimSkald said:

@Bad said:

@HoundofShadow said:
    I'm not sure how you interpret that Chasm is a real problem from that reply. There are already counters out there countering them "well" and the overall duration of play is okay but they are monitoring. If you are choosy about the availability of counters, you can continue playing mirror match. Riri/Dr Thor is also a counter, but you don't seem to be happy with them.

I'm just informing, not interpreting. The chahulk meta is a real problem because right now is the better team to play.
    Sure there are counters, but aren't satisfactory. The best counter is a character preventing AP loss.
    Also many players are already using unchamped ihulks. I will explain it clearly:
    Friends, if you use an unchamped Ihulk chasm always will tank and the only way to be defeated is an AoE. Just be sure to put purple chasm on 5. And you only need a few covers for Ihulk! Tasty defenses guaranteed.

An infinite battle is a lame way to win, though. Just saying.

The biggest issue with the Cha/Hulk meta is that it basically is a great counter for any team that, y'know, needs AP to fire powers. It takes out whole swaths of characters from the game. The Hulk is just there to keep you from just downing Chasm last.

I was going to express some disappointment in the fact that we're not getting any 4* PVPs, but because of Chasm, we wouldn't get much of a chance to use them anyway. He's honestly made the game a lot more boring and I don't think a simple soft counter is going to cut it.

The "revive" meta isn't the issue with Chasm, it's the AP drain. Even without his revive, that AP drain would be top tier. The revive is an issue because you can't match your way out of dealing with him. My issue with Chasm isn't that he's an S-tier character, it's that he's aggressively unfun to use and even more aggressively unfun to face. He feels oppressive from a design standpoint.

High level Jessica Jones and Yellowjacket? Too bad, you're never going to have enough AP to make them work the way they're supposed to, and unless your timing is exquisite you're not going to take down Chasm at the right time even on the rare occasion you get to fire a power.

You might need to experiment with your roster more.. I found boosted JJ to be an ideal counter to 550 Chasm
    Hulk teams. AP drain is irrelevant because her passive is enough to take out both revivers at the same time.. The tools are out there to take down this team easily. You just have to stray from your favorite go-to teams.

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker

The bullying comment is so strange to me. You can't PM in the app, and there's no way developers could police Line or Discord servers. Am I missing something?

This discussion has been closed.