Hydra Stomper Vs Hulkbuster Iron Man but also is it the Player?

2»

Comments

• fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    It took me a pair of tries, but Hydra Stomper isn't super great alone. You really just need to do everything you can to chase green, and it would ideally be best if you could double-fire it (or triple fire it if you are able to hit all 30). You really need to cause cascades on the turn you fire it to maximize the possible black tiles that will drop in as CDs. Fire yellow whenever you have it for additional protection. My Hydra Stomper is 302, with a 3/5/5 build for context.
    Why do you think it's best if you double-fire green? Doing that only gives you 3 chances for cascades that result in black countdowns - twice due to the tile destruction from the green power and once following your own match. Firing on separate turns gives you 2 chances per turn, i.e. 4 chances.

As for the original question, as is often the case, it's basically just dependent on how lucky you get with the black countdowns following green. Chasing yellow for the protects also helps. I managed it on my 2nd try without boosts or supports, but it was close.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,590 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was fairly easy, rather slow though. I got it on my third attempt.
    First two runs were green starved boards. Third run I kept firing yellow and then fired green twice to get a good amount of black countdowns on the board.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    I finally did it with HB obligingly killing himself with an Overdrive. Thanks for all the tips!!
  • DAZ0273
    Oh and yes I most definitely do suck! Taskmaster sword...I mean I have a level 5 and didn't even think of if it or any Support. What a twonk.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nobody sucks
    DAZ0273 said:
    Oh and yes I most definitely do suck! Taskmaster sword...I mean I have a level 5 and didn't even think of if it or any Support. What a twonk.
    Who thinks to use supports?
  • DAZ0273
    MegaBee said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Not me. I really do forget they exist to be honest. I even have a pile of unopened Support tokens.
  • MegaBee
    Nobody sucks
    DAZ0273 said:
    MegaBee said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Not me. I really do forget they exist to be honest. I even have a pile of unopened Support tokens.
    I place them and forget about them until someone on here brings them up. Shang-Chi and his flight crew have supports. Okoye had the RTF. Every other support is just placed with its synergistic character.

I don't have unopened Support tokens, though. Unopened tokens make me twitchy.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    It took me a pair of tries, but Hydra Stomper isn't super great alone. You really just need to do everything you can to chase green, and it would ideally be best if you could double-fire it (or triple fire it if you are able to hit all 30). You really need to cause cascades on the turn you fire it to maximize the possible black tiles that will drop in as CDs. Fire yellow whenever you have it for additional protection. My Hydra Stomper is 302, with a 3/5/5 build for context.
    Why do you think it's best if you double-fire green? Doing that only gives you 3 chances for cascades that result in black countdowns - twice due to the tile destruction from the green power and once following your own match. Firing on separate turns gives you 2 chances per turn, i.e. 4 chances.

As for the original question, as is often the case, it's basically just dependent on how lucky you get with the black countdowns following green. Chasing yellow for the protects also helps. I managed it on my 2nd try without boosts or supports, but it was close.
    It's more about creating a better opportunity for cascades if there isn't a good match available to you that will lead to big shake. The tile drop only does whatever it is you can accomplish on that same turn you fire it, so firing green twice is a definite 9 more tiles to drop in rather than 3-4 for a single match.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Isn't chewie the standard recommendation for beating 4* crashes with underleveled/covered 4*s?
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nobody sucks
    Vhailorx said:
    Isn't chewie the standard recommendation for beating 4* crashes with underleveled/covered 4*s?
    3* Taskmaster’s Sword and/or 5* Stormbreaker are also commonly recommended since they boost powers
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker

It's more about creating a better opportunity for cascades if there isn't a good match available to you that will lead to big shake. The tile drop only does whatever it is you can accomplish on that same turn you fire it, so firing green twice is a definite 9 more tiles to drop in rather than 3-4 for a single match.
    I do agree that it can be useful if there isn't a good match available, but otherwise, if you fire green on separate turns then on both of those turns you have a chance for black tiles to drop that become countdowns. So that's at least an extra 3 tiles, plus an extra possibility of cascades. Besides, by waiting until you have enough to fire twice, you're further delaying the number of turns until the damage is actually done.
  • DAZ0273
    My Hydra Stomper was champed BTW - we just both sucked.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    your mileage may vary. I didn't wait to fire twice myself, just suggesting it if people are getting weak drops of black tiles after their basic matches.
  • CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Nobody sucks
    Hydra Stomper’s kit isn’t intended to battle adversaries such as Hulk Buster. He would shine against non-Black-using villains.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    You suck
    Used Tasksword. Denied red. I hardly took any damage and didn't fire any powers.
  • meteor0905
    meteor0905 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    edited September 2022
    Do it w/1st try

• MegaBee
    Nobody sucks
    **** said:
    Do it w/1st try

I have that at rank 5, and it didn't even occur to me.
  • meteor0905
    meteor0905 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    edited September 2022
    Plus this ,you can kill everything in Crash
    Kra-Van 3*+ work great,too

MegaBee said:
    **** said:
    Do it w/1st try

I have that at rank 5, and it didn't even occur to me.