Are classic legends pulls still worth it?

Options
2»

Comments

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    keep, and use it on special store with characters not yet champed/fully covered
    I pull as I go, until I have the next 5* to leave champed, then I hoard.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There was a member claiming that CL are a legit way to max 5* characters(EB).
    And so his roster is about 500+ level characters. 
    However being a long vet player and pulling exclusively CL for years is the real secret, imo, as the dilution when that store was released forcefully was smaller that nowadays. 
    So the current CL store should  be there for helping 4* players as many members mentioned. 
    Personally I'd rather champ LLs as it's something easy and kind of guaranteed and if I like the character I raise him to 460.
  • NMANOZ1
    NMANOZ1 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I mostly use CP for classics. I actually get more covers from more recent characters than older ones just from getting LTs. I need to champ many older 5 stars which is my focus.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I recommend pulling Classic if and only if you:

1) can cover all latest and still left with extra cps
    2) aren't waiting for a certain character to appear in a special store
    3) aren't a champ them all player
    4) aren't a 550 player

The return for cp can be pretty good even if you pull a 5* champ reward. For baby 5* champed rewards, it's:

1 LT / 25 CP
    5000 iso-8
    25 CP
    250 HP

Every 4 pulls. For 4 Classic pulls, you get back 50 CPs and its equivalent, 5000 iso-8 and 250 HP.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 992 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2022
    Options
    spend some excess CP on CL - still around 49/70 chance to get a 5* cover of a character not yet champed/fully covered
    I think the answer depends on your situation, but I also think a few things have changed the answer recently:

1) The 5* boosts have made toons that once were only bench warmers actually usable a couple of weeks a year, and in some cases meta during their boost week
    2) The new devs have made it clear they intend to continue rebalancing older characters, meaning there is a chance more will fall into the first category

With a 25% higher return than LTs and special vaults (25 CP / 20 CP), the extra covers and resultant champ rewards cannot be ignored. However, the more 5* you have covered, the less useful this strategy is, so for me I did a little math.

Right now there are 201 Classic 5* Covers (67 Classic 5* x 3 covers each). First I'd look at how many of those 201 covers would be usable for me (e.g. not a champ level and not a saved cover). Given the OP has 21 champed, let's estimate 1 - 21/67 = 69%. Based on this, for every 100 CP I saved for Special Valuts, I'd spend 69 on Classics. As I got more classics covered, more gets saved per CP spent on Classics until I had them all champed and now I don't buy any classics at all. (NOTE: I always earned enough LTs that I never had to spend CP on the latest vault).

This is just one way to do it but the concept is the less you have champed, the more benefit you get from classics.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    spend some excess CP on CL - still around 49/70 chance to get a 5* cover of a character not yet champed/fully covered
    One thing that no-one has mentioned yet is that since 5* covers are only drawn in one in seven pulls the actual additional cost for a 5* cover in latest is 35cp more than one in classics when the extra 5cp for the six 4* covers is taken into account.
  • Dok12
    Dok12 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It's probably because I have poor impulse control, but I like to open 5 or so CL every once in a while, justifying it to myself as it's cheaper than special stores or LL. As a relatively new player still in 4* land with no classic 5* champed, I use it as a way to get some guaranteed 4*s and a very nice surprise if I get a 5* I like. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    helix72 said:
    I think the answer depends on your situation, but I also think a few things have changed the answer recently:

1) The 5* boosts have made toons that once were only bench warmers actually usable a couple of weeks a year, and in some cases meta during their boost week
    2) The new devs have made it clear they intend to continue rebalancing older characters, meaning there is a chance more will fall into the first category

With a 25% higher return than LTs and special vaults (25 CP / 20 CP), the extra covers and resultant champ rewards cannot be ignored. However, the more 5* you have covered, the less useful this strategy is, so for me I did a little math.

Right now there are 201 Classic 5* Covers (67 Classic 5* x 3 covers each). First I'd look at how many of those 201 covers would be usable for me (e.g. not a champ level and not a saved cover). Given the OP has 21 champed, let's estimate 1 - 21/67 = 69%. Based on this, for every 100 CP I saved for Special Valuts, I'd spend 69 on Classics. As I got more classics covered, more gets saved per CP spent on Classics until I had them all champed and now I don't buy any classics at all. (NOTE: I always earned enough LTs that I never had to spend CP on the latest vault).

This is just one way to do it but the concept is the less you have champed, the more benefit you get from classics.
    This is a decent simplification, but it assumes that all usable 5* covers are equally valuable.  That is definitely not true, and likely never will be even as the BCS does rolling rebalances.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ptahhotep said:
    One thing that no-one has mentioned yet is that since 5* covers are only drawn in one in seven pulls the actual additional cost for a 5* cover in latest is 35cp more than one in classics when the extra 5cp for the six 4* covers is taken into account.

This is just another way of saying that the LT premium is 20% (35cp is 20% or 175cp), which many people have said.
  • Tarelgeth
    Tarelgeth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    Dok12 said:
    It's probably because I have poor impulse control, but I like to open 5 or so CL every once in a while, justifying it to myself as it's cheaper than special stores or LL. As a relatively new player still in 4* land with no classic 5* champed, I use it as a way to get some guaranteed 4*s and a very nice surprise if I get a 5* I like. 
    I use the tokens I get from the Deadpool Crash right away as a gratification reward, and hoard any other tokens I get from anything else.
  • jeffsterz
    jeffsterz Posts: 51 Match Maker
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I’ve only ever pulled Classics twice with about 20 pulls in all. I got two 5s that weren’t any good either. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Classics with the % rate they are at now are not worth it.  
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    helix72 said:

This is a decent simplification, but it assumes that all usable 5* covers are equally valuable.  That is definitely not true, and likely never will be even as the BCS does rolling rebalances.

For me, this is the real problem with classics in the late game. I definitely have the occasional use for them, though: as a shard-generator for a 4* feeder (hello, Tuck) or as a way to get a little endorphin fix if I'm otherwise dirging on the game. I really don't gaf if I ever champ M5gneto or SS or not because I will never use them, boosted or not.
  • AdeptusRevolt
    AdeptusRevolt Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    other suggestion?
    2 years in, and I have only ever bought classics to get 5 star shards. I have way more 4 star covers than I can champ due to the iso desert. I've done well in getting 5 stars that changed the game because I pulled from special stores or LL sets that had good charachters, and focused my 5 star growth on specifics. 
    Accelerating 4 star growth is just "hurry up to wait" when you get to the 5 star desert. 
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    other suggestion?
    Personally, I hoard until there are 3 characters in LL that will keep me competitive. This has only happened twice since I've been playing (1551 days as of today). I have a desired amount of pulls for that to happen. If I end up with extra cp, then I treat myself to CL since my main goal is to have fun and collect them all. 

For you, I think it has more to do with your goals than anything else.

Gotta Catch'em all: If collecting, go for CL as it will give you the biggest bang for your cp. This is a looooong term approach. Think multiple years rather than this year. You can still use shards for your most needed or worthwhile characters.
    I want to be the very best: If competing for rank and prizes, hoard your cp for special stores or LL when there are 3 characters that are considered meta. You will get 13 covers faster that way compared to the 0-1 covers you'd get from CL. Once they leave LL, use shards until they pop up in the next special store.
    I choose you: If there is a character you want and you don't care if it's meta, you just like that character, then use your cp on special stores and LL when they are released. Favorite them and use shards to complete the build. There is no need in going to CL since the odds are against you getting a cover for that character.

Most importantly, pick a strategy and stick with it. Very few players switch between strategies with success. There are some that pull almost exclusively from CL and are doing very well. Others only pull from LL and special stores. All strategies can be "optimal" based on your goal. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter as long as you're enjoying the game.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    keep hoarding until having a number of pulls to get some characters from LL or Special Store to 550
    If you don't care about getting meta characters sooner or being selective in your roster, then classics make sense from a total pulls efficiency.  In reality though, I tend to believe most players benefit more from being choosy on which characters to pull for vs. the CP efficient argument. Targeting a good 5* in latest legends (multiple good 5* is even better) is probably more valuable than getting covers to champ older and less relevant 5* given the high level of dilution.  For example, the next 5* lineup of Gargantos, KK and Thor looks like a potentially good set as none of them are duds.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    keep hoarding until having a number of pulls to get some characters from LL or Special Store to 550
    If they brought back increased odds then it might be worth pulling. Like boosted characters, it will refresh every few days. Maybe even make it random and personal to the player like spicy vaults.
  • Neoktheone
    Neoktheone Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    keep, and use it on special store with characters not yet champed/fully covered
    Depends very much on if you want to champ them all, but eventually the chances of getting that one character you still need from Classics are quite low. Save your CP for release stores or special stores to get the main characters to a high level (not necessarily 550) and you wanted classic to champ level. For example, I was able to champ Iceman and Electro recently because they were in release stores (for Crystal I think and MThor).