Are classic legends pulls still worth it?

darkman84
darkman84 Posts: 56 Match Maker
Hi,
wanted to know your opinion on spending CP on CL pulls vs. LL pulls. I know the community is divided on that. And it's probably down to personal preference or current game state.
So in my case I have around 21 5* champed/fully covered (mostly meta characters). I'm able to fully cover each of the Latest before they go to Classics by having around 500 pulls (CP+LL combined), and mothly income of around 80-100 pulls. 
So I guess the options are:

Are classic legends pulls still worth it? 48 votes

spend some excess CP on CL - still around 49/70 chance to get a 5* cover of a character not yet champed/fully covered
22%
KolencestatnutAlfje17dramatistPtahhotephelix72BeetleGeorgeitsuka7LucasRavenDok12bladewing 11 votes
keep, and use it on special store with characters not yet champed/fully covered
37%
Phumadetonypqillusionist_KAMoosePrimesupergarvthechairmanpezseSolidusMoxdjperry1973kk3thessAres76skittledaddyNeoktheoneDavidk777iOwnThisNameph34rm3Weirdnerd2009leviticuschom 18 votes
keep hoarding until having a number of pulls to get some characters from LL or Special Store to 550
22%
BowgentlewymtimeWarbringaMeanderJackDeath666PalookavilleFirst311BzhaiNeroTheCapedCrusaderTheDaniel 11 votes
other suggestion?
16%
BlackBoltRocksScofieOmegasedGodzillafan67dianeticsAkoniAdeptusRevoltWilliamK1983 8 votes

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    keep hoarding until having a number of pulls to get some characters from LL or Special Store to 550
    Unless you're swimming in CP, classics were never worth it.
    Champ everyone in Latest, hoard CP for a meta store.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    other suggestion?
    One rare case in which Classics pulls are still worth it is if you just need a handful of sharts to finish a particular 5*. Like say you have Okoye at 5/4/3 at 480 sharts. You're better off making 7 Classic pulls (i.e. 140CP) than 7 Latest pulls (i.e. 175CP) to complete her.

In almost all other cases though, Classics aren't worth it. It's only worth it for that subset of players who are starting out in 4* land and/or are not overly concerned about transitioning to 5* land any time soon.
  • darkman84
    darkman84 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    I see your points, but isn't current 5* god boosts worth having more variety of older characters now?
    Also hoarding for 550, with my current rate would take me around 4-5 years, which at this point seem like forever.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    No need to go for 550s.
    Just hoard CP for a store where you can get 480+ on meta chars.
    That'll get you through the weeks where you have no boosted 5s.
    Realistically it will take you those 4-5 years to champ all the classics, too.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,588 Chairperson of the Boards
    other suggestion?
    I jump into classics once on a while.  If I’m trying to get shards classics are better to go into.

My last run in classics was like 800 cp and got 2 okoye covers 2 Jessica jones 1 kitty 2 wasp and a couple others I don’t remember offhand.

I did end up with 5* bonus shards as well.

If you have a developed roster and don’t need any of the latest and you need covers for a lot of the older characters there’s nothing against it.

I would say it’s a specialized case, and more than likely you are better off holding for a great latest or special store.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Splitting between LTs and classics seems very inefficient to me, so my problem with classics is that you literally can't go all-in on them.  no matter what you do you will still get a ton of LTs. 

I suppose one could open classics with all cp acquired and *slowly* build out the back catalogue while hoard LTs until the stack is 300+ and dropping them all on a very good LT store. But that's an incredibly slow way to progress so I don't know how much fun it would be. 

There my recommended strategy is to hoard everything until the LT store is attractive, then use LTs and cp to fully cover all 3 5*s (or go beyond baby champ level if that's your thing), and then reserve any extra cp for especially tempting release stores and/or direct buy classic covers for key characters (I think I direct bought covers for SC and okoye at 250cp each with no regrets, but I wouldn't go for a weaker 5* at that price).

I know that prioritizing LTs over classics is less efficient in terms of raw numbers of 5* covers, but the marginal value gap between good 5*s and trash ones is really really high, so paying a smallish tax to restrict the universe of possible covers makes sense to me (even in the current model of boosted 5*s).
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,756 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    spend some excess CP on CL - still around 49/70 chance to get a 5* cover of a character not yet champed/fully covered
    I try to keep a CP hoard for special stores, but use spare CP to buy a few CL to get the 5* shards and because I still need to champ a dozen or so older 5*.
    I get enough LL tokens to (almost) champ the latest 5* so don't often buy LLs.
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    You should review this thread.

I took one good run at classics a while back with about 2500 CP. It really did seem to help my roster quite a bit, getting several covers on poorly covered classic 5-stars. You get 25% more 4-stars for your CP (5 per 100 CP instead of 4 in LL). This also generates more 4-star rewards. With lower CP cost, your effective pull rate for 5-stars also increases. 

I haven't been back to the classics store since, as it's all I can do right now to keep up with LL using both LT and CP.

There's probably a sweet spot in your roster development where classics is helpful, and then not. I think as you get closer to championing all of your 5-stars, the odds of drawing those much needed covers gets lower and lower, and your better off looking for special stores.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,202 Chairperson of the Boards
    Classic suffers from too much dilution.

It's best to hoard and pull latest when a good three are in there.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    darkman84 said:
    I see your points, but isn't current 5* god boosts worth having more variety of older characters now?
    Also hoarding for 550, with my current rate would take me around 4-5 years, which at this point seem like forever.
    History has shown, a 3 pack of meta tier 5* always happens every couple of months.  While there are always valid reasons to buy a classic pack.  In general, your going to have a better experience by saving your cp for a meta tier of 5* in LL.  Having experienced multiple generations of meta shifts.  You always want to maximize into a god tier combo.
  • WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 898 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2022
    other suggestion?
    I would say it depends on your roster goals and current situation.  Once I got every character rostered (also a gotta collect em all enthusiast) I went exclusively LLs and special stores.  I found that to be beneficial for a number of reasons most of which have already been said by the other members here.  What I like most is the ability to plan out a strategy between the two since you know who will be in what store and for how long.  With special stores for a new release, I'll pull until I roster the new character.  The characters accompanying the new release, my CP & LL stash amount, and who is in LLs will all dictate if I pull past rostering the new release.  

I still have about 40ish 5*s without at least 1 of their powers covered so CLs are still useful for me as well.  But I  gotta give the edge to special stores for catching under covered characters up.  
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor
    other suggestion?
    Classic legends are absolutely worth it if you're building your 4 star army
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Every time you pull a 4* a classic is better value than a latest. 
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Depends on your strategy, but if you are going for a broad roster and want to champ the 4* tier mostly before going into 5* transition, draw classics only while in the 4* tier. By the time you get to the end of that phase, you will have classic many 5* over half covered. And classics is still full of meta 5*, like Kitty, Okoye, Apoc, Thor, Shang Chi, that are a great addition to any roster. While drawing classics, you get 25% more 4* and 4* and 5* shards to build up the 4* tier.

Also, not bad to be ready for heroic challenges, a broad collection means you will have lots of (boosted) options.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    Like others have said, it depends where your roster/goals are at.
    As a 5* soft-capper with almost half of the 5s fully covered, Classics are of no help to me anymore. They were GREAT when I was nearing the end of 4* Land, but now that I have all of the 4s champed, that I can keep up on the Latest 5s (using LLTs/rewards/shards only), and that ~50% of the Classic 5s I would pull are considered waste (Saved Covers don't help soft-cappers at all) I'm pretty much done with Classics.
    Now my CP is reserved for release stores containing the 5s I still need to finish and Classic-5 HfH buys. Even "meta" special stores are typically of no value to me since I have all the metas already fully-covered.
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,303 Chairperson of the Boards
    other suggestion?
    I always pull Classics. 6/7 pulls on average (for most people - seems higher for me...  ;)) are 4* so that's 1.5 free pulls per 5* cover, plus more shards.

Additionally, with 27 champed 5*s, there's a good chance I'll get a bonus pull from the CP or LT if I can't use it. Of course, if it's 5k Iso I'm a bit disappointed, but I survive. Or I can use the cover since shards made the coverage a bit more even (apart from my 8/3/3 Yelena).

I'm never going to be placement-competitive or chase the meta, so it's max rewards for the effort I'm willing to put in, and the LTs get me the covers I need to be able to play. With feeders, the additional 4*s will guarantee the 5* covers eventually, it is just a longer game without the feast/ famine approach of hoarding that always leaves me slightly disappointed in the results. 
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    I’m the weird one that doesn’t like release stores but thinks pulling Classics has its place. 

I try to champ everyone. I now have 61 champed 5*s and I’m not actively chasing any of the classics I don’t have champed because none of them (Magneto, Captain Marvel, Banner Hulk, Black Bolt, Gambit, Havok and Rescue) are worth sharding. 

I can usually get very close to champing new 5*s with just Latests before they rotate out but sometimes still need to use cp to finish them. 

I usually have extra cp and I use it on Classics. You get 20% more pulls and shards so it builds champ rewards quite a bit faster. It’s also fun to pull a meta 5* champ level from a Classic pull too. 

I’ve had horrible experiences with release stores so I’ve given up on them. 
  • Tarelgeth
    Tarelgeth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Classics gives you better broad coverage, Latest/Specials give you better specialization.

A developed roster will benefit more from being able to unload into a special store to get something that really helps them.

A developing roster will benefit more from burning CP on Classics, for the greater total number of 4* covers gained while trying to establish a broad base of 5*s with at least one cover.  By the time you have a solid array of 5* coverage, you should be approaching having 13 covers for all your 4*s anyway, and it'll be time to start hoarding for good Latest/Special stores.