• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Her yellow does three things;

1) creates 16 protect tiles
    2) fortifies 6 of them
    3) clear all allies of stun status

For 10 yellow aps, it does a lot of useful things. You can spam yellow all day with Heimdall. At least, some thoughts have been given to synergy with C5rol. If only KK could convert those protect tiles to strikes as well, it would be an even better nice fit with C5rol.

Besides Polaris/BRB and Apocalypse, what other teams can you come up with? I haven't thought of any yet that doesn't involve meta characters.

Is the fortify important?   It seems to me that if you care about fortification, you won't rely on KK5's yellow (edit: and she should still be able to fortify 4 tiles with only 3 covers, right?). And the other two parts of the power are unchanged or "good enough" imo, especially in light of how much more useful the rest of her kit gets from 3-->5.

As for synergies, you need someone to spam friendly specials, and a lot of those characters are already meta on their own (apoc, brb, polaris, maybe JJ and g4mora).  There would be viable lower-tier options like 2*/3* bullseye, 3* Storm, 3* blade. there are also lots of second tier 4*s that make lots of tiles. TronBP, antman, dazzler, silk, maybe the 4* heroes for hire duo? since you want to be making and matching lots of specials with kk5, I think just the ideal pairing is 1 partner to make tons of tiles, and then a second to generate matches via boardshake or tile spawning.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Fortification is important if your strategy revolves around them to achieve a certain synergy. Even some winfinite (tiles manipulation-based like 5torm or Sersi) benefits from fortified tiles. So, it's not entirely useless. 

I was thinking of 4* Wasp/C5rol, Ronan or Magik for triggering her passive but the synergy is not easy to pull off. Carbage is probably the best out of those group because he recreates tiles, and 4* Beast can feed aps as well.

As for other winfinite, 4* Beast and Sersi could be interesting but I need to use them to see if it's possible. Remove red with Sersi, create yellow tiles and fortify special tiles and hopefully KK can spam her yellow while 4* Beast feeds additional aps. All the fortification and cascades could hopefully cost a winfinite. Another team I thought of is Heimdall and Sersi with KK for winfinite. If this team goes well, it will be call team fortified winfinite.

As of now, It seems like her synergistic teammates for triggering her green passive are really limited to Polaris/BRB/Apocalypse.

One thing that needs to be verified is whether matching friendly special tiles triggers her green passive.  

The other one is whether she deals 9 separate random damage for destroying 3x3 block of friendly special tiles or she deals only 1 separate damage per 3x3 block. I'm going with the former but it would be good see it happens in practice. 

We'll have to wait to find out.
  • gmp72
    gmp72 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Options
    New 5* Legendary stores always seem to have old 5* as the other 2 characters. Often on repeat. Is this intentional ? So many of the later 5* releases never seem to make it to these types of stores.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    It has been like this for as long as I can remember. I think there were a couple rare instances where there were two Latest 5* in a new 5* release store. Usually, there's some theme related to the new 5* release, and this can be subjective. I think such store is one of the ways to give you a 1/21 chance of pulling classics instead of 1/66 chance. If you want latest, we already have a latest store. 
  • gmp72
    gmp72 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Wasn't concerned so much about the latest store characters but with more of the newer characters which are out of the latest store.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    They will appear if they share a certain theme (decided by the dev) with the new 5*. For example, Shang Chi left LT around Nov 16 2021, and he appeared in Elektra's release cp store, which was in Feb 17 2022. That's a three month gap. However, Odin or Ronan, who left Latest before him, hasn't appeared in a 5* release store yet. So, you could say it's based on luck. 
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    They will appear if they share a certain theme (decided by the dev) with the new 5*. For example, Shang Chi left LT around Nov 16 2021, and he appeared in Elektra's release cp store, which was in Feb 17 2022. That's a three month gap. However, Odin or Ronan, who left Latest before him, hasn't appeared in a 5* release store yet. So, you could say it's based on luck. 

I suspect it's a bit less of a lore-based analysis and more of a financial one.  Demi knows that putting SC in a store will drive sales in a way that putting lumbercap or carol5 in a store will not.  I would not be surprised if higher-value stores tend to line up with quarter-ends or other budget-relevant times.  It also seems pretty clear that more desirable characters get more rotations in the specialty stores (cf how many times Okoye has been in there compared to KP or loki
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Higher value store appearing near financial year end is something I agree on because they would want their quarters to look good and to give a last burst to their revenues. It's a common move even for listed companies. I'm sure someone who tracks all the special store and 5* release store will be able to verify if this is a common occurence.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anyone think she'll form a good team with Odin and someone else?

If you can get KKs yellow to get the fortified tiles out, that will get Odins damage reduction going. Not sure who a best 3rd character would be, guess it depends a bit if you're going for a defensive or offensive team. 
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    One thing that needs to be verified is whether matching friendly special tiles triggers her green passive.  

The other one is whether she deals 9 separate random damage for destroying 3x3 block of friendly special tiles or she deals only 1 separate damage per 3x3 block. I'm going with the former but it would be good see it happens in practice. 

We'll have to wait to find out.
    I agree that these are important questions. Looks like her PvP starts Monday so if we don't get dev response here, someone will have to update this post with what they find during the PvP. 
  • MennoKnight
    MennoKnight Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2022
    Options
    tonypq said:
    Anyone think she'll form a good team with Odin and someone else?

I'm looking forward to trying it out.  I've been trying Odin/Heimdall/Shuri. Either would be a nice third.
    Would be nice if there was a Grocket-style instant Fortified tile generator.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I think the problem(?) would be KK tanking both blue and yellow over Odin, and you having to gather 10 yellow aps, unless your Odin's level is slightly higher. On top of that, the fortification is random. While gathering 10 yellow aps, Odin would be tanking full damage when he jumps in front. Wanda could speed things up and help to boost power damage. That's an interesting way to look at KK's team.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    I think the problem(?) would be KK tanking both blue and yellow over Odin, and you having to gather 10 yellow aps, unless your Odin's level is slightly higher. On top of that, the fortification is random. While gathering 10 yellow aps, Odin would be tanking full damage when he jumps in front. Wanda could speed things up and help to boost power damage. That's an interesting way to look at KK's team.

yeah, this is the problem I see with relying on KK to provide fortification: she needs 10 yellow and a study tile out on the board and even then she only provides 10 fortified tiles per cast.  I would much rather rely on someone like shuri/bp or heimdall or even odin himself to provide fortification if I wanted to use a fortification heavy strategy.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    She fortifies only 6. Heimdall + Sersi could be fun. 
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    FYI for everyone, the in game text for green passive is different than this post and clearly says "matches or destroys". 
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I like this character, and I'm thinking about unloading for her and Shuma.  It is funny though that I am considering pulling for KK & Shuma, but not Crystal & Shuma.  I think Crystal is pretty solid, but for some reason I don't see her as a necessity: she seems like a really solid jack-of-all trades, but not great at any one thing.  I like Shuma, but I don't have enough Hawkeye covers to make him great.  And for me, KK looks like a great third for BRB/Polaris who I have champed, which doesn't really make my roster all that much better since I have Shang-Chi, who is a god in PVE, where a third character can be useful.  She looks good with Apoc as well, but I don't have him covered.  So at this point, I am really questioning my logic as to why I would pull for any of them.

My question for the forum here would be, who is a better pick with Shuma, KK or Crystal?  Are either of them great in a pick 2 PVP?  If so, who are their partners?

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options

Sounds like you are going to talk yourself out of opening tokens because of the 'I already have X champed and they work great in pick 2' syndrome . Many players who had Okoye also unloaded for Apoc even though they do much the same thing. If you wait for only characters who can create new meta teams (rather than similar meta teams) you might be waiting a LONG time.

I personally don't think KK works with Shuma at all (too much overlap esp on Blue) but both are worth opening tokens for (my Hawkeye only has 9 covers so I also need to shard for him). Crystal isn't really great for Shuma either (she removes specials and he needs them for his Tentacle Teeth power).

I opened 40 tokens today for Shuma but didn't care whether I got any Crystal at all (I got 1).

KGB

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I played all earth's mightiest with crystal, Shuma, SW and I had a lot of fun.
    Crystal can really support the team and she can adapt her play to the existing board (to damage on red, to enhance special tiles or to provide AP on charged). Also can prevent health loss for her partners.
    Each's one interests can be different, though.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @IceIX there's a typo in the iOS description of KK's green power. It's an important typo... I came here to find out if what it said there could possibly be accurate. It says:

"Kamala's cosmically embiggened fist packs an embiggened punch. Destroys a random 3x3 block of tiles and deals 266 damage to the enemy team. If a Study tile exists on the board, she instead selects the block of tiles to destroy and deals 107 damage."

According to the post here, though, the bold part should read: "deals 107 extra damage." It also should add the sentence: "Destroyed tiles do not deal damage or generate AP."
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 362 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think KK looks fun in pve vs goons.  Right now I use 5* carnage(at like 1/1/1), morbius, and okoye (champed) on scl 10 for those fights.  It's nearly impossible to lose, but sometimes it can take a while if I get really unlucky with teamups.  I think with KK giving me a crapton of AP I can just blast through those fights with brb/polaris.

As far as non-goon fights, uhhh still might use her.  Right now I use brb/polaris/kitty (at like 3-4 away from champ).