Crystal worth it or skip ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
For those with *5 Crystal champed, do you feel she's absolutely worth pulling for ?

I was curious for anyone with a champed Crystal how worthwhile you feel she is. If you even use her much since champing or if you think she'll only get much use when boosted.

At first I wanted her quite a bit with her unique skill set. However I'm not sure I want or need her bad enough to waste a bunch of LL/CPs to also get Moon Knight who I don't care for.  I don't mind Elektra so much  but I could live without her. If LLs was Crystal/Elektra and one other I kind of liked I'd probably pull. 

As far as Gargantos coming, he's ok. Wouldn't mind pulling for him but again not big on Moon Knight, Knowing I kind of wanted Crystal and was leaning towards pulling for Gargantos, that's a ton of LL/CPs I'd have to blow through to cover Crystal and Gargs. And possibly getting killed by RNG getting tons of Moon Knight making me have to pull even more. 

Currently I have all the *5 metas champed. That being said I'm not sure how often I'd even use Crystal or Gargantos. I'm debating if I even want to bother pulling for any of these 5s or just keep pooling my resources. Wait for a bwtter *5 that would crack my rotation on a regular basis instead of only when boosted. 

Comments

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crystal plays real nice with Apocalypse.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally, I think Gargantos might become a big PITA in meta-PVP.  A champed Gargantos is pretty foolproof for the AI and I think he could be someone to leave out while climbing without using a shield.  But, I do not have a champed one yet so can't see.

I'm not big on Crystal but I know others who are.  One of my faster teams is 50%Thor/ShangChi so I don't need Crystal to constantly heal Thor.  :-)
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have her champed.
    I really like Crystal's healing. It's legit. But she has a fatal flaw.... A decent Apocalypse can one-shot her at baby champ levels. If you can't get her over that hurdle, it's a bit difficult to justify the cost for a healer. Damage-first metas are still where it's at, imo.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have her champed and I've only really played with her when she was featured in Deadpool vs MPQ so with that said I had a lot of fun with her. I personally wouldn't skip her as I think she'll be a pain whenever she's god boosted in pvp.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I have her champed but like many of my champs (Gamora, Electro) I haven’t figured out how to use her yet . Her power set is more confusing than most characters. I’ll try combinations all next month and see what clicks 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since you have all the 5* metas champed, I would get Crystal & Gargantos as well just to have more boosted 5* options.  There’s no guarantee that someone better will come along.  I think the devs were being generous with their stats.  

Crystal can be used with Thor & Shang against all goons since they don’t match tiles.  Thor+Okoye+Crystal should be good against goons, as well as Thor+Apocalypse+Crystal.  Boosting her passive dmg and AOE is the key.  

When she’s boosted, she’ll be a big pain in PVP.  Just like Gargantos 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2022
    I don't have her champed.

As far as I can tell, she is not meta now because, as far as i can tell on paper, her best teams are not better (i.e., faster, better on defense, or more sustainable) than the current best teams. so she isnt someone i wouled expect to become a regular part of my non-boosted rotation (which is currrently SC, thor, thanos, polaris, okoye, ih, and sometimes heimdall/shuri, DD, brb, kitty, and apoc). So she would] only be someone to use when boosted or when I felt like going out of my way to use her.

All that being said, I think that Crystal is in the "nice to have" category in that her
    kit is relatively unique in her tier and does stuff that is valuable in mpq (true heal, lots of passive, boostable damage ticks, etc).  That means that, even without a rework from demi, she could become valuable if the right partner is released.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've her champed and played with and against her. Her heal can be a pain, so she's good with another defensive character. Her green passive is also good for extra damage. I used her with defensive characters like Wanda/Colossus or Wanda/Odin, and Adam Warlock to maximise his passive damage. 1/2 Thor will dislike her a lot, but 1/2 Wasp will like her for the free Swarm tiles. One negative/positive point is that she could tank for other characters if you have many different types of friendly special tiles. 

I'm still thinking how to maximise her passive charged tiles creation. I think there's potential for this part of the ability.

If you use only meta characters, then you can skip her. There's approximately 2 meta a year, so I'm not sure how long more you want to wait. Gargantos will be the first meta of 2022 and if the next 1-2 5* synergise with it, you can start pulling. Alternatively, you can wait for 550 players to unload their LTs and CPs and you know it's time to unload yours.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will break a 250 hoard for her when gargantos will appear. 
    There are always hidden details which make a character great.
    Like piercing through colSW.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have her champed but like many of my champs (Gamora, Electro) I haven’t figured out how to use her yet . Her power set is more confusing than most characters. I’ll try combinations all next month and see what clicks 
    Do you have Apoc or Okoye champed? Crystal's "match red for permanent damage" passive gets boosted.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,588 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really like her. I stick her with apocalypse and watch chaos ensue. If you have a way to force red onto the board they can melt a lot of teams very fast.

I don’t have the iso to cap her but I do have all her covers right now. Once she hits 450 that heal can be pretty nasty.
  • HoundofShadow
    If you are going for the boosted damage route, Kitty + Valkyrie will be awesome. Your strongest colour will likely to be red. Then, you can finish off the match with Valkyrie's red if the strike tiles are strong enough.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    If you are going for the boosted damage route, Kitty + Valkyrie will be awesome. Your strongest colour will likely to be red. Then, you can finish off the match with Valkyrie's red if the strike tiles are strong enough.
    I went with this and it’s nice 👍 except I have no Kitty so went Okoye or Apoc
  • HoundofShadow
    Wanda/Ultron or Wanda/OMD are fine too, in terms of boosting her passive red. 
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    I just champed her and she's not bad. Haven't been able to use her much yet, but as others said she does pair well with damage boosters like Okoye or Apoc. Using her with Okoye her extra damage on red matches was very nice, at times over 17k, in addition to boosting her cheap red and green active damage.

One thing that's tricky is picking different elements with green. You don't always have a good amount of the color tiles you need on the board. So while you might like to pick earth for boosting tiles or water to heal her up, it's very board dependent. It's really hard to IMO use her as a special tile booster as you're not always going to have lots of green tiles on board. Same with trying to heal her up, if there's few blue tiles then you're not going to get as much health back as one may have hoped for. The same also goes for the other elements of course, but at least green has the AOE damage which is nice. 

I also liked using her with Kitty and Polaris. Doesn't take long to get enough red AP to fire Crystal's red and get some tiles out for Kitty and Polaris. 

She'll be really fun when boosted. She's decent all around and fun to use. I haven't tried her in any defense teams yet, but sure she's a good option for some of those teams as well 
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,962 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    **Mod note: Please refrain from using the flag button as a "dislike" button.  It is meant to be used to report spam or rules violations. If you have received a flag or see another user's post has been inappropriately flagged, please contact a Forum Moderator. Thank you.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Love the ongoing commentary tonypq. Thanks for keeping this discussion alive and offering useful data to us fence sitters!
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    It seems like most commenters recommend to not skip Crystal.  I’m curious if those recommendations hold if pulling Crystal means skipping Kamala?

Crystal seems better to me, but Kamala seems to be looking relatively better to everyone else.  I don’t totally get the positive reception for Kamala, she mostly seems like a good 3rd for a team (brb, Polaris) that already has a good 3rd (kitty).  But my track record at gauging characters on paper is pretty bad, so I assume I’m wrong.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    Of course Khan will be popular, 90% of players are tinykittys that can’t win without BRolaris. ANY new character that answers yes to “ Is she a good third ?” is going have those players foaming at the mouth to bust their hoard. This is their Christmas. That being said, I’m seeing a lot more of the skilled players already using Crystal in PvP and she is a defensive nightmare.