***** Moon Knight (Avatar of Khonshu) *****

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    If this does turn out to be Moon Knight, I think based on episode 1 I kind of get the clue connection.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    As much as I'd like to finish green goblin, I don't fancy Dr strange covers.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Black and green numbers are 2x my expectations. He actually broke the average damage/ap for both green and black power.
    His attack tiles are about 3600 in total which is pretty high.

I think his green was supposed to be 9 ap, or were I dreaming?
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Black and green numbers are 2x my expectations. He actually broke the average damage/ap for both green and black power.
    His attack tiles are about 3600 in total which is pretty high.

I think his green was supposed to be 9 ap, or were I dreaming?
    Not dreaming, they had 9 AP listed for his green yesterday, so that was changed. 

Seeing the final numbers doesn't really bump him up much for me. At 10 AP for his abilities, he could very well be KO'd before he ever has a change to fire one off. Like all characters that aren't stellar, sure maybe he fits into a few teams or has exploit potential under the right conditions who knows. The 10 AP for each ability alone is cringe worthy enough, it's really odd not one of his powers is on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Obviously every character can't be meta, I'm not disappointed he isn't. But it's a continuous letdown when D3 release characters that could go from bad to good, or middle of the pack to very good had they made a couple very small tweaks in design prior to release. 
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    That green better generate AP at that cost. I really hope it does. The updated text doesn't preclude it. 
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    That black hits EXTREMELY hard. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Thanks for the confirmation.  :D

All the powers being 10 ap cost got to have thematic link to moon or to him. But I can't figure it out.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    A slow powerhorse like I said. 
    That green will shut down any character and the only way to scape that is matching the cd or killing him as he can't be stunned.
    That black without conditions means enhanced by SW(his best enhancer) will be at 30 AP 70k. Goodboosted will be 70k, and then if enhanced by SW at 30 AP 175k damage.
    His best partners will be SW and Storm, possibly. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    Bad said:
    A slow powerhorse like I said. 
    That green will shut down any character and the only way to scape that is matching the cd or killing him as he can't be stunned.
    That black without conditions means enhanced by SW(his best enhancer) will be at 30 AP 70k. Goodboosted will be 70k, and then if enhanced by SW at 30 AP 175k damage.
    His best partners will be SW and Storm, possibly. 

Wouldn't Heimdall make a great partner because in addition to forming an active Rainbow team, Heimdall can reduce the costs of Moonknights powers and sent him airborne to generate 2 or 3 Green.

KGB
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:

Wouldn't Heimdall make a great partner because in addition to forming an active Rainbow team, Heimdall can reduce the costs of Moonknights powers and sent him airborne to generate 2 or 3 Green.

KGB
    Heimdall will perform right, stil I think storm could be a better choice because of her charged black and Aurora totalis as a mere supporting partner.
    On the other hand, moon knight's green will destroy a row possibly messing up Heimdall's tactics. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    If this does turn out to be Moon Knight, I think based on episode 1 I kind of get the clue connection.
    I watched it too but I didn’t catch it. Enjoyed it though 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2022
    Based on previous comments from the other releases , my opinion is that people will hate him based on the “are you crazy I’m not using a character whose powers cost more than 8 AP it’s too slow “ argument.  For me any character that not only can’t be stunned but penalizes the AI for attempting  it is going to be used and liked by myself . 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    with numbers out I think he is mid tier.  Should be fine when boosted good for a baby champ.  I was looking at his Green and it has good damage and good protection, but will get destroyed by Wanda/Colossus combo if you get to fire green at Wanda, Wanda  will reduce the damage and it creates a charge for her and Colossus match damage will kill you.  if you choose to hit Colossus it will reduce Colossus match damage but will then charge up Wanda who will kill you.  Lastly it will take a long time I o get enough Green.

his Black is nice and in line damage wise compared to Doom.  It also has a strong healing.

overall I think if I had to choose I would take my boosted 4* moonlnight over the 5* Moonlnight into battle.  
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards

So the numbers are out: 

10 Green for 13K hit, plus 4-turn CD tile that reduces 4K and hits 4K.  Yes, this is expensive but the real question is, is it worth it?  The CD tile should get a couple hits in, possibly more totaling 20K to 30K, along with dmg reduction. That’s not bad.  

10 Black for a 31K hit, and if you down someone, he gets 23K healing plus very strong attack tiles, so the damage keeps coming.  That’s very good, especially the healing.  

His purple anti-stun passive is good against Iceman.  

Now, is he playable?  10 AP takes some time to collect, so you’ll get beat up during that time.  Fortunately, he can heal himself for 23K.  But without a battery, he’s too slow.  When he’s boosted, he would be worth the effort I think.  But the real question is would he be better than the other boosted characters that week and actually get played?  

On pvp defense, he’s an easy target since it will take the AI much longer than a normal player to get 10 green or 10 black.  
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2022
    I can imagine this 5 star in pure 5 star land is going to be very low on the totem pole due to how slow it is.   
    Green. The thing about countdown tiles is they are easily destroyed.   Sure it may cause some damage if your opponent does a cascade, but that tile can get destroyed in the cascade as well.   You won't use it if you are paired with another green user, who has an AOE.
    The cost should be 8 for this. 
    Black is the heavy hit.  Also, does it "restore", and not just heals? IF so, that adds longevity to the character.
    Purple passive. How many viable stunners are there in 5 star land?   How often is he going to be in front? 
    If your opponent is not putting out attack/strike/protect tiles, this ability is rather weak.
    Also, why only 3 trap tiles and so little damage? 
    It will seem nice against the mirror match of other MoonKnights, but this is an expensive power with very little yield. 
    It should cost 6.
    The 4 star Moonknight seems better,
    Also compare to 5 star Black Widow. There are some huge similarities With the Black and Purple and anti stun stuff.  She seems better, yet even when boosted, you don't see her that much. 
    Going to say, this will be low tiered for PVP and nonexistent for PVE.  Sad.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really like the green
    The black hits hard but really its just an overkill power, so the total damage output isn't that important.
    Not feeling the purple at all.
    Everything is expensive, but if you stick him with someone like Odin he might actually be pretty great.
  • HoundofShadow
    I think we might see a rebalance of Dr Strange because MoM is coming out next month, unless they decided to pull an iHulk. 

One question still left lingering is whether his green row destruction generates ap. I'm leaning with "no" but there might be surprise sometimes.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    I doubt that it deals damage for tiles destroyed or generates AP. Generally the destruction powers will explicitly state something like destroy X tiles "dealing damage and generating AP".
    This just looks like a direct damage ability with no additional effects.
    But, if it does generate AP it will be quite good.
  • HoundofShadow
    If they don't, they would state it as well. 

It's just another inconsistency in wording or a copy and paste error that left out this detail. I guess we'll have to wait for in-game preview to know. Previously, they didn't state that Crystal's elemental defaults to fire in her thread, but it was stated in-game.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,910 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the idea behind the AP cost being so high is that you are supposed to pair him with a character that slows the opponent team down and/or helps generate AP, so Wanda stands out as good a partner. Additionally, when boosted it will be more likely that the AI will be able to get the required AP so he will have some defensive value during his boost week. 

All told, he looks like a solid mid-tier character at the moment.  Now that we have five characters with stun immunity abilities in the 5* tier, I am curious if the dev team plans on developing the stun meta in the 5* tier. That would certainly boost Moon Knight's value (although he would probably still be outclassed by Apocalypse).