Updated Forum is Live! Bug Squashing Thread (3/16/22)

LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator

Hi Everyone –

As all of you can see, the updated forums went into effect earlier today.  Speaking with the team, it sounds like a few more things still need to be fixed/updated and it will need to wait until tomorrow to be completed.

This includes fixing the missing banners on mobile and the notification icon among a few others.

Please share any feedback on this thread that you have and we will do our best to address them.  We can’t promise we will be able to address them all as some fixes were just necessary for the platform.  Mainly knowing if something is broken or visually doesn’t look right will be the most ideal to know so we can prioritize those fixes.

Thank you everyone for your patience (and feedback so far!) as make these changes.

Comments

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Using darkmode on my Samsung phone, the site looked like a blinding lite grey and I couldn't read any text. I had to turn darkmode completely off before I could see anything at all. Hopefully you guys can see what's causing that issue,.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Its a dab and needs some more color. Everything is grey, unless that will change with the updates tomorrow. At least its not dimming! 
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2022
    It's overall too bright, just too much lite grey/white and not enough colors or black to add some much needed balance and contrast.

So far only one thing I think I like is the quick links on the bottom. I do miss seeing the name or icon on the right side of a thread when a new comment was left. 

Marvel is a colorful universe, I feel like the forum should reflect that and have a lot more flavor. The forum now looks more like a rotoworld fantasy sports forum than anything related to a Marvel video game. Not really sure why the forum needed a revamp or what you guys were aiming for, but I feel like your efforts would of been best served working on something much more fun and important. 
  • toecutter3095
    toecutter3095 Posts: 55 Match Maker
    I agree with the others, far too white and everything just blends together.

Also missing the breadcrumb hyperlinks at the bottom of the posts to easily navigate back to the forum.  They're now only available at the top of the post, which are only useful if you don't actually read the thread,
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    The update isn't optimised for mobile version.

Between mobile and desktop version on my phone,

1) The MPQ banner with its black background is centered on the screen and occupies 50-60% of my screen in mobile, compared to 25% of my screen on desktop version. My android phone size is 6 inch, just in case it helps.

2) There isn't any column for "Replies" and "Views" and there is no way to scroll right to see them. Also, I can't see the page number of threads. I can see all of the above only if I set my browser to desktop version. What I can see are thread titles, bookmark logos and the ellipsis logos showing the options for "Dismiss" and "Tag". 

3) Another one which is mentioned by many is lack of colour distinctions. It's a little bright.

4) inside a particular thread, the distinction between posts isn't clear with a thin line. In the meantime, I'm using Flag/Quote/Insightful/Like row to distinguish between posts.

One improvement is that I can finally see date and time of very old posts on mobile. In the past, I could see only month and year of very old posts on mobile. 
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Also agree, looks like just a wall of text now and that tiny gray line in between posts doesn't do enough to separate.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Notifications don't disappear when you see the full page. I guess you must select each notification individually for them disappearing.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 790 Critical Contributor
    Delineation between posts is vague. Difficult to tell when one post ends and the next begins. Maybe embolden or darken the line that separates the comments.
  • LakeStone
    LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
    Thank you so far for all the feedback.  Putting this all together to send to the team tomorrow.

Just a note, many of the fixes they were still working on today was the functionality on mobile as some of it didn't transfer over when live.  I completely understand about the comments about why change what's not broken but unfortunately it's been about 5 or 6 years since any relevant changes have been made and some things had to be addressed (for forum to continue to function) but our goal was/is to keep it as similar as possible to what everyone is familiar with.

Appreciate all the help here and will keep everyone posted.  Thanks!

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker
    If possible a big old mark all read button would be nice to retain, I noticed there's ones for individual forums but couldn't find a global option.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Click your profile at the top right corner, go to notification and the "mark all read" button is at the bottom right corner.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    Isn't the ordering a bit off? I just made a new post and it is showing like 12 posts down.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    It looks much better on PC but the signatures are still huge. The colour scheme is definitely still very grey but I guess that is by choice.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i keep getting signed out. 
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker
    Click your profile at the top right corner, go to notification and the "mark all read" button is at the bottom right corner.

Unfortunately that only kills notifications, I was looking for a global kill all "new post" icons... you can do it by forum currently if you click the menu by their name but not for all at once. It's how I've always kind of checked out of forum session to let myself know I looked at everything I cared to, if that makes sense.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    Re: the new aesthetic

Yikes. 🤮
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Though I am rather ambivalent to the changes overall, kudos to being able to delete auto-saved draft comments that I never intend to post.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    I stopped playing MPQ a few years ago, but sometimes I'll check out the forum to see new characters and events, but the new forum design is bad and has progressively gotten worse with each update
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Searching backwards in the Forum is broken.

For example if I am on the Announcements Forum, it shows 20 entries and then back button for about 20 prior pages. If I go back 1 page, it's blank same with back 2 pages. Back 3 pages shows 2 entries etc. It seems you can't go backwards in the Forums now (I wanted to find the announcement of when Robbie Reyes was rebalanced and I couldn't)

KGB