Week 38 Electro, Killmonger, Magneto (Age of Apocalypse), Wolverine (Old Man Logan)

2»

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I ran KM and electro. 
    Many players lost interest too as I placed T25 with 1270 points.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    Literally in the last 10 minutes I though to try running Electro/Storm as a black battery, and I wish I’d thought of that yesterday since it worked pretty well.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the beginning, I used Electro + Odin in the first few matches because he creates fortified tiles and Misty can heal via matching/destroying them.

After a while, I was eating nukes gifted by Killmonger. So I switched to Ghostpool. He was doing really well because he either one shot Electro or Killmonger with his black power. However, it was healthpack intensive.

I switched to Colossus. While fine against Killmonger/Electro, he was dragging the match. I switched to Thor in the end and matches was done much more quickly.

Even though many think Killmonger's purple is not good, but it was a pretty dangerous power. My characters were downed by his purple a few times. For this pvp, it took me about 30 wins to hit 1200.  :'(

This boost list is a tough week. At least it got me to think out of the box.  :D
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Killmonger's purple isn't bad at all!  Especially when he's boosted, it can do a ton of damage.  The only problem with it is that his other two abilities are better.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Killmonger's purple has a really similar problem to 3* Doom's trap power. The setup takes awhile, but the payoff hit's very hard even unboosted if you fire it at the right time.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I tried Killmonger just to mix things up, took him with Apoc vs Apoc Onslaught. Turn 2 enemy Onslaught got 5 crit matches (because Killy locks the crit, Onslaught got to use each one twice) and killed my Killmonger with match damage before my next turn started.

I promptly put Killmonger back on the bench and never used him again.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    helix72 said:
    I tried Killmonger just to mix things up, took him with Apoc vs Apoc Onslaught. Turn 2 enemy Onslaught got 5 crit matches (because Killy locks the crit, Onslaught got to use each one twice) and killed my Killmonger with match damage before my next turn started.

I promptly put Killmonger back on the bench and never used him again.

It's sad, KM is very close to being a PVP meta character. We know that disabling enemy match5s is a powerful tactic when the dominant meta is based on tilespawning (from the very very old days when 4*JG dethroned 3*if+IMHB). But KM lacks either (i) a 4*JG style stun that gives him the board when the enemy makes a match, or (ii) some DR to protect him (or allies) against the damage that comes in as a result of the fact that he wants to let the enemy use criticals. With one or both of those features added I think he would have a role in competitive PVP (basically whenever a team that relied on tilespawning>cascades became dominant in PVP, KM would be the go-to counter).
    (I also don't really understand the intent of the lock mechanic as implemented. as you point out, it's at least as likely to make things worse for KM and team as it is to help.)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I think if the lock just took them out of circulation and made them unmatchable until KM unlocked them on his turn that might be all he needs. But yeah, these days, eating a critical match is no joke, so it would be ideal if he had some other defense capability to go with it. Also I can't really pinpoint it, but when enemy KM is also in play, I've felt pretty strongly like cascades involving crits don't always trigger the power even if they should. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think if the lock just took them out of circulation and made them unmatchable until KM unlocked them on his turn that might be all he needs. But yeah, these days, eating a critical match is no joke, so it would be ideal if he had some other defense capability to go with it. Also I can't really pinpoint it, but when enemy KM is also in play, I've felt pretty strongly like cascades involving crits don't always trigger the power even if they should. 
    I wonder if that fatal Onslaught cascade was caused by some order of operations issues.  Killmonger boosted should do a ton of damage every time they match a crit (mine is like 460 and does 70,000 damage -- easily enough to oneshot an unboosted Onslaught) but ideally he'd do it immediately and not after they've finished cascading.

The other thing I always forget with that power is that it'll steal red AP instead of doing damage, if the enemy has enough red AP.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    There have been times when my KM did. O damage even though the opponent had no red AP; it seems like it’s a cascade thing, and a mirror match thing usually. But as with all cascade problems it’s hard to isolate and repeat it.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Me too. After a long cascade with the critical tile I set as a trap, and after KM getting a royal beating, no retaliation at all.
    But my attention was diverted into praying for KM to making it, so I was not sure on what happened except that in that time the deal didn't turned to be so interesting as I thought would be.