How much of a change would 5* Scarlet Witch need to *only* be viable when boosted?

entrailbucket
entrailbucket Posts: 5,622 Chairperson of the Boards
Since we're interested in balancing characters so they're only usable when they're boosted, let's try one going the other way!

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    So to be clear you want to make her unusable unless boosted?
  • entrailbucket
    Just as good as someone like Ghost Rider or Phoenix...someone who's perfectly usable when boosted but totally unusable every other week.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,083 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe the Mods can re-name this thread 

"5* Scarlet Witch is mean can we get a nerf"
  • entrailbucket
    Oh no, I'm not doing that again.  The last time I posted a "please nerf somebody" thread here (Gambit) I got a whole pile of death threats.

This is just asking a theoretical question.  Since all other characters are only meant to be usable when boosted, what would it take for this one to match them?
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s been a while since we had a good nerf thread. I can’t say that I miss them. 
  • DAZ0273
    Where is it stated that all other characters are only meant to be usable when boosted?
  • DAZ0273
    Oh and NERF GAMBIT!!!!
  • DAZ0273
    Bring me your threats of death. death bringers! 
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    DAZ0273 said:
    Oh and NERF GAMBIT!!!!
    Speaking of Gambit, as many consider his pre nerf form would be barely useable in the current meta I look forward to the subsequent ‘buff Switch’ thread in 2 years. 
  • entrailbucket
    DAZ0273 said:
    Where is it stated that all other characters are only meant to be usable when boosted?
    The last few polls are asking what would be needed to make a character usable when boosted, not usable all the time. 

The last few 5* buffs have made those characters usable when boosted, and everyone is quite happy with those.  I posted some stuff in those threads and people said it was unrealistic to expect characters to be usable unless they're boosted.

So, at least one person thinks that characters are meant to be usable only when boosted (to be fair, I think this too). 

But Scarlet Witch is always usable.  How much change would it take to make her fit with the rest of the tier?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    The last few polls are asking what would be needed to make a character usable when boosted, not usable all the time. 

The last few 5* buffs have made those characters usable when boosted, and everyone is quite happy with those.  I posted some stuff in those threads and people said it was unrealistic to expect characters to be usable unless they're boosted.

So, at least one person thinks that characters are meant to be usable only when boosted (to be fair, I think this too). 

But Scarlet Witch is always usable.  How much change would it take to make her fit with the rest of the tier?
    But as @Daredevil217 said in the other thread, meta characters like Scarlet Witch are beatable by boosted characters which means she is not "usable all the time" in terms of guaranteed wins. I guess you are advocating for there to be no such thing as meta characters by your posts which is a fair enough point of view but not one that fits with the established pattern of this game (which you have been playing a long time, more than me and I am 2100+ days deep!)

At this amount of time sunk, surely we know the score? I mean you have 550 you can use every day which is mad and I can't pretend to know what daily play with that as a base line is but if everybody was the same would that be interesting? I guess then it really would be pure RNG and it would not matter if you had champed OML or champed Wasp. I think the argument is more if you do have champed Wasp they shouldn't be less appealing to use than Kamala Khan.

Oh and NERF 5* WASP!
  • entrailbucket
    It's not true that there have always been "meta" characters.  (And can we please come up with another name for this?  Meta is not an adjective.  Metagame is a noun, describing strategies and tactics that are effective/widely used in a game).

There have always been characters that are better than other characters, and those characters have always seen more use.  That's not a problem now and has never been a problem.

The current metagame is driven by weekly 5* boosts, which is great.  It's as diverse as it's *ever* been at certain tiers.  At other tiers, the game remains composed of the same characters.  Having the boosted characters should give you an advantage.  Not having the boosted characters should be a disadvantage.  This may be the case at some tiers but it's not universal.

Anyway, I'm not calling for a nerf.  If I was calling for a nerf, I would call for a nerf. 

I'm asking the inverse of a question that's generated quite a bit of discussion, because I think it's an interesting question.
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    I thought meta was an acronym. Most efficient/effective tool available? Think I heard that somewhere.
  • entrailbucket
    That's actually a backronym made up by MMO players who used the term incorrectly for years.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meta actually means self-referential. Community and the Simpsons are examples of shows that do this well. Deadpool as a comic character is another example.  CM Punk’s promos if you’re a wrestling fan. 

In gaming, meta takes on a different definition and absolutely means using the best/most efficient strategies and tools available to win. And if you google what meta means in the gaming world you will get tons of answers pointing to a that acronym.
  • entrailbucket
    Yes, that's one meaning of "meta."  Scarlet Witch is not a self-referential, 4th-wall breaking character.

If you Google "meta backronym" you'll get several pages of results describing how it's completely made up, after being misused as an adjective for years by people who don't understand what a "metagame" is.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    You’d have to change her % reductions to hard numbers in order for it to scale to a boost week. At that point she is probably about as trash tier as Odin.
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    You’d have to change her % reductions to hard numbers in order for it to scale to a boost week. At that point she is probably about as trash tier as Odin.
    And cap her green as to how many charges it can stack. I was playing around with a winfinite team and had the enemy Wanda at 102 charges.
  • entrailbucket
    Yeah, if you set the percentages to flat numbers then she'd get worse when boosted, which is the opposite of what we're after here.  That would be an Odin situation and we don't need any more of him.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    You could remove the clap back damage entirely while leaving the %, and give her an active blue power that can take advantage of her purple. That probably does it