Week 32 Doctor Octopus (Classic), Iron Man (Mark XLVI), Mister Sinister, Silver Surfer

Options
entrailbucket
entrailbucket Posts: 4,915 Chairperson of the Boards
Gonna be a lot of SW/Colossus this week!

I think last time Mr. Sinister saw quite a bit of use boosted, so maybe we'll see him again. 

The rest?  Oof.

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I love some Mr Sinister. I remember getting nothing but defensive wins. And his passive power is "bugged" like Odin's and Iceman's. I haven't checked if the dev has fixed this yet.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeesh! I have all of these scattered covered so probably not useable to any huge degree. At least Silver Surfer is team Iron Man I think? That will upgrade Iron Man from hitting like a wet noodle to hitting like a soggy biscuit. Zap zap!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just champed Iron Man yesterday, so I have him and Sinister this week. Iron man I’m not sure won’t be a good cascade maker for Shang-Chi actually. Depends on how much it ends up starving the board after his blue resolves.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I just champed Iron Man yesterday, so I have him and Sinister this week. Iron man I’m not sure won’t be a good cascade maker for Shang-Chi actually. Depends on how much it ends up starving the board after his blue resolves.
    Iron Man's blue is the only reason you might ever want to use him.  It's pretty strong, especially when he's boosted, since you get match damage for all the red tiles he blows up.  His red is pretty bad and yellow is one of the worst powers at the 5* tier.

Here's the problem: when the enemy's strongest color is red, Girl Friday is just *awful*.  Hopefully any rework would let you choose which color he hits, because that would make it much more consistently useful.

Also I'm not sure how good it'd be with Shang-Chi.  If you cast it very strategically, waiting for the exact right board situation, it can generate a lot of red AP for you.  The exact right situation might never happen though, because the board is random.  If you cast it at the wrong time, it could generate 0 AP and remove all the reds from the board.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Can confirm: iron man + Shang-Chi slays in pick3 simulator with Sighclops or Onslaught as third. I’ll be curious to see it play boosted in pick 2.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sinister boosted is funny but uneffective. His blue power godboosted only it's increased on a 50% because of his conditional concept.
    Last time I switched to my meta team and this time it will happen the same, with that list.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,286 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    Last time I switched to my meta team and this time it will happen the same, with that list.

Yep.  I am doing PVE with non-boosted as it is much better.  SC match non boosted goes well over the boosted after one Combo Point and sometimes before.  And paired with half-Thor, they can take on almost everything except 5e and FU nodes without much difficulty.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    You can use Negasonic as a third for Shang-Chi and Iron Man and it works well. 
  • Bad
    Options
    Negasonic works pretty good with SC. 
    I thought her active yellow was a minor swap, but her passive destroying random tiles when matching charged is what makes her a good partner when SC is winfinite, for to create a cascade and SC hitting harder.
    It's a bit random but it's very funny.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like this list as all the players that just pull from classics have appeared in my MMR. I found one retal with about 15 champed 5*s, none of which were from the top half of either Daredevil’s or fight4thedream’s tier lists. I felt bad for smashing them.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I like this list as all the players that just pull from classics have appeared in my MMR. I found one retal with about 15 champed 5*s, none of which were from the top half of either Daredevil’s or fight4thedream’s tier lists. I felt bad for smashing them.
    It's a really good point, and one that makes the Daredevil list a little deceptive.  The guys on this week's boost list are so awful, when compared to the best characters, that at 550 they're *significantly* worse than the best characters at 450.

There's not really a way to indicate that kind of gap when you're just doing a ranking in order.  The tier list gets closer, but I'm not sure the tiers properly account for such a big gap either. 

I think most MPQ players in a position to play 5*s get this instinctively, but if you're brand new with no experience it could be confusing.  I don't know if there's an easy fix for it when you're doing the rankings though.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Is there a thread tracking the boosts each week?  I remember sinister being boosted with trash last time (it might have been the same boost list). If I remember I actually went with Sinister/unboosted Wanda over an old boosted 5 whose best power overlaps on his best power (blue). 
  • Bad
    Options
    One thing is that character ranking and another the sinergy it can create, and sometimes a new character can revive another one who was supposedly trash. I.e: SC and cyclops.
    Another one is what I used on this pvp. SC is so versatile and shake boarding character and he can boost a stalling one like sinister to new heights. Really funny and they help each other.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    I found it. Same boost list as week 16. I thought they randomized it each week. This is kind of disappointing, but might be worth tracking if they’re not. 

• entrailbucket
    Options
    Oh interesting!  I also thought they were random, or at least curated somehow.  If they're running the same list every time, that affects things like rankings.

But maybe they just reran an old list because nobody's there due to the holiday?
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    My crazy behind went back and collected the list of boosted characters each week (thanks for making the weekly threads- made it easy to track). There is definitely a loose pattern forming, though there are aberrations mixed in. I’m going to create a new thread basically posting what I’ve found and we can use it to track boost lists each week. 

Short version is they started doing release order (all the oldest toons) with some newer folks mixed in for pride month (Iceman/Daken). Then they seemed to stray from release order and gave us random boosts. However, there is a cycle happening. But every once in awhile, someone boosted in the first cycle doesn’t get boosted when the group comes around again, or conversely, someone new gets boosted who wasn’t before. When this happens, a character in a boost group may get pushed to the following week, which then pushes a character in that group to the following week.

I figured there must be some repeat boost pairings because I remembered Sinister being boosted with trash and also remembered the Yelena/ Doom/ Deadpool/ Thanos/ Havok (where they’re all around the same level). Also remembered the Carnage/Warlock week- which was repeated. 
    I’ll post more when I get home. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Once again, I'm getting only positive retal points with Mr Sinister. My typical pvp defensive points are in the negative of 100-300. For this pvp, i got only 3 retals and they got me wins that net me a total of + 20 points.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    He's not bad, and also nobody knows what he does, so it's possible.  The Bishop/Sinister team wasn't widely used but it was an *utterly brutal* combo when Bishop was still alive.

Who are you using with him?
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I paired Wanda with him in the previous and in the current boost week. And the result is consistent. I'm not sure why they lost though. Lost to Behold! or because they forgot that he can reduce typical nukes to scratches?
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Yeah I used Sinister exclusively this PvP. And last time he was boosted as well. Also paired him with Wanda. This time I’m also using Ock because his green is a healthpack saver (and gives another offensive weapon). His one-turn stun on black has also been clutch against Wanda to negate her reduction before matching a Behold tile.