Week 16 Boost List Doctor Octopus (Classic), Iron Man (Mark XLVI), Mister Sinister, Silver Surfer

entrailbucket
entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2021 in MPQ General Discussion
Dunno if they've changed the pattern this time, or if there ever was a pattern.  Mr. Sinister is secretly very good when he's boosted.  Iron Man is...not.  Dr. Octopus is better than anyone thinks he is, but he's still not great.

I put levels 549 and 550 on Surfer this week (thanks Reed!) so I now have the THREE oldest worst characters at 550!  At lvl675 it kind of doesn't matter how bad they are normally, guys at that level break the game.

I have a feeling this week is going to be a lot of unboosted characters.  The only guy who's good (Sinister) is someone almost nobody has.

Comments

• Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 374 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah there is that CN, in simulator I think, with Mr. Sinister Medusa and C4rnage. Absolute nightmare of a CN. You did forget to put Silver Surfer in the title of the thread, fyi.
  • entrailbucket
    Yeah there is that CN, in simulator I think, with Mr. Sinister Medusa and C4rnage. Absolute nightmare of a CN. You did forget to put Silver Surfer in the title of the thread, fyi.
    Thanks!  It looks like thread titles have a character limit, so I had to cut off Mr. Sinister's real name to get Surfer in there.
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Mr Sinister’s back is going to hurt this week from carrying everyone on my roster. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Perhaps devs wanted to showcase sinister no matter what.
    He is funny imo although really slow. He will be a good defensive deterrent when climbing but I'm not sure he will be high in the rankings later.
    On pve boosted and on fighting mindless  incoming he will perform nice as his behold can very well hit for more than180k damage. 
  • Bad
    After playing him, his trap sistem is on separate traps. The godboost gives them like a 5000 damage extra, meaning that behold x8 will deal only 40k extra damage. 
    Added that original sinister will only activate if the enemy deals 18k damage , sinister could be one of the worst characters boosted.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    I'll be curious to see it in practice. I like to bring Sinister out at random times anyway because I think he can be pretty fun with other trap layers like Yelena and Chavez, and he happens to be one of my highest organically covered characters at 459 base level. 

The Sinister Secrets traps are pretty effective at AP denial assuming the enemy is an active power spammer.

The thing about Behold! is that it adds in all kinds of friendly traps, even ones from other allied characters (or opponent jessica jones) on the damage, and each behold trap will tick off that bonus damage. So if you can arrange a match with more than one Behold! trap in it, or cascade into them, it'll do quite a heavy hit. Given the mutch higher Original Sinister threshold, it may be worth a re-spec to 3/5/5 to enhance the SS ap stealing capacity. 
  • Bad
    edited September 2021
    The issues about sinister are long time known: he spams all board with his traps and it is impossible to differentiate them if not clicking on each trap. 
    Then when he casts behold the player must have an eagle sight for to notice and remember where they are.
    Usually sinister spams widely the traps and he would need a character changind tiles for him.
    In the end he needs a really long time and a lot of AP for to win the battle. 
    In honor among thieves finally I switched to a meta team because actually he is not good enough although being boosted, even more vs goons.
    His best performance is against a tile mover and 2 goons.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    That's why I was suggesting that he and Iron Man would be the breakouts this go around, since Iron Man can convert a ton of the board to red and then crush it, creating a lot of cascades. But yeah he won't run that fast in PVE.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually like the idea of teaming Sinister with IM46. The limitation is that IM46 converts 8 enemy strongest colour basic tiles to red, and then destroys them, which doesn't trigger Sinister's trap tiles. On top of that, they compete for blue aps.

Characters like Sinister and Ronan require you to spam their powers in a single turn to maximise damage and fun. And a pick-3 is necessary for this to happen.

I went through the 5* list and found that Okoye or Jean Grey is the best 5* that will make it easier to match his trap tiles by changing basic tile colours without too much problem. 

This week boost list looks weak and this is not a bad thing. IM46 and Sinister look dangerour and irritating defensively.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    He destroys all red after any cascades resolve, so it will trigger anything that gets caught in the chaos. That’s the thing about Sinister - you just have to try and create cascades and let RNG take its course.
  • entrailbucket
    Ehhhhhh...give it a shot, I guess?  They both want to use all your blue AP though, I can't see it working out too well.

Sinister wants to get as many traps out (of any kind) as possible, then match his Behold traps.  Those traps do an extra 40,000 damage *per trap*, so if you hit two in the same match it's 80k, etc.  It adds up really fast.

I really don't know who his best partner is this week.  Iron Man's only decent power is blue, so it's either Ock or Surfer, but Ock's best power is also blue and Surfer's blue is pretty good too.  Surfer's tile charging will overwrite/disable traps, I think.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd say Doctor Octopus is the top player here. Blue hits pretty hard for its cost and Green is a really annoying power.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Bad said:
    After playing him, his trap sistem is on separate traps. The godboost gives them like a 5000 damage extra, meaning that behold x8 will deal only 40k extra damage. 
    Added that original sinister will only activate if the enemy deals 18k damage , sinister could be one of the worst characters boosted.

I still think that prize belongs to Rescue. The damage on her blue was something like 3400 / 3400 / 4150  when boosted lastweek and it costs 9 blue AP.  In comparison, boosted BRB for 6 blue ap was doing like 30k damage.

This week is probably going to suck for me ^^. I have 4-7 covers on surfer, Doc Ock, Surfer and Ironman, and I think 10-12 covers on Sinister. Guess I will have to stick to colossus and wanda and hope they can carry me
  • Bad
    Srheer0 said:

I still think that prize belongs to Rescue. The damage on her blue was something like 3400 / 3400 / 4150  when boosted lastweek and it costs 9 blue AP.  In comparison, boosted BRB for 6 blue ap was doing like 30k damage.
    I guess until wasp won't be boosted we cannot talk about the worst character boosted :D
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Since my Iron Man is 4/3/2 lvl285, I’m riding Sinister/Karnak offensively and just playing for the crits. So far so good in sharp dressed but I haven’t pushed too high yet.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Bad said:
    Srheer0 said:

I guess until wasp won't be boosted we cannot talk about the worst character boosted :D
    She was pretty annoying during that A!Loki node with all the wasps when it was introduced!
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    First time since the 5* boosts came along that I have reverted to old PVE staples of Thokoye etc.  Other weeks I've had luck finding something as quick or quicker in the boost list, this week is dire.  

Seems to be no synergy and Mr Sinister as the "best" in terms of damage is really frustrating to play.

I am not looking forward to PVP.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think all four are at 255 for me, so it'll be a glorified pick 2 Shield Sim this week.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Sharp Dressed is definitely Mr. Sinister and Friend. I haven’t seen a single opponent running one of the other three so far.
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    I actually like the idea of teaming Sinister with IM46. The limitation is that IM46 converts 8 enemy strongest colour basic tiles to red, and then destroys them, which doesn't trigger Sinister's trap tiles. On top of that, they compete for blue aps.

Characters like Sinister and Ronan require you to spam their powers in a single turn to maximise damage and fun. And a pick-3 is necessary for this to happen.

I went through the 5* list and found that Okoye or Jean Grey is the best 5* that will make it easier to match his trap tiles by changing basic tile colours without too much problem. 

This week boost list looks weak and this is not a bad thing. IM46 and Sinister look dangerour and irritating defensively.
    I would consider adding 5* Doom in your team somewhere with Sinister if you can. The two are made for each other and used to be one of my more fun teams. 

Doom heals and steals while offering a good outlet for black, should you want to use it outside of the mitigation Sinister offers. But the real ace is that Doom offers the cascade effect that Sinister desperately needs in order for his traps to be optimized. 
    Example: Challenge node for Honor Among Thieves, Plan G. 
    I trounced Sinister (boost) Doom (473) and BP (boost) all three times.